Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

from US$ 40.00
from US$ 38.00
from US$ 12.00
More Info
All reviews his son original house tour guide house tour beautiful house floor plan cafe on site american history his life old trees richmond road self guided history lesson home tour original furnishings hour tour love history
Reviewed 1 week ago

Ashland is well worth the visit if you are into historical travel, antiques or art. The tour guide was well educated on Henry Clay and the history of the estate.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My son is going to be a history teacher and a tour of Ashland was part of his choices for his birthday. We all enjoyed it but him the most. I wish photos were allowed. I think they should at least include a free booklet with some photos with admission.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Henry Clay and his ability to create compromises probably delayed the onset of the American Civil War by twenty years and may have changed the eventual victor. His home was on this site, but other than the foundation, is not the home one tours today. Still, a very interesting tour with much information about Clay and his ancestors and descendants.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This was a wonderful tour. The home and grounds are in extraordinary condition. While the house was renovated a couple of times, the detail is incredible. The collection of his personal effects is overwhelming. I wish I had not done the last tour of the day because I would have repeated the tour. It is truly amazing and worth your time to go there. The city of Lexington was also very cool.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was a must see when visiting the area. The tour guide was very informative and knowledgeable for all things Henry Clay. The house itself contains many neat things to see about Clay's life, his family, etc, and one can learn a lot about this figure in American History. The grounds themselves are also neat to walk around and check out once the tour has completed. Of course, the day we were there, a tree climbing event was going on which kind of limited where we could go, but still, it was a fun time. I even purchased the newest book on Henry Clay in the museum shop and am looking forward to reading it.

Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

Our family visited Ashland with a guided tour. The property is beautiful. The house is beautiful and has many interesting pieces of art and furniture. The house itself was rebuilt and NOT the actual house where Henry Clay lived, but it contained many of his personal items in it and the property itself is historically significant because many notable politicians visited it - including a young aspiring politician named Abraham Lincoln at a dinner party. A great place to learn more about “the Great Compromiser.”

An additional note about SPECIAL EVENTS at Ashland: We have attended a few special events at Ashland, including the annual holiday craft fair/Christmas tree lighting. I just returned from Yappy Hour where I paid $22 per person admission, which included 2 drink coupons, plus I paid $35 for a 10-minute photo session with my dog. There were three pet-related vendors - none giving any samples away. No music. No free treats for dogs (as advertised). There were less than 10 other dogs/families there. We stayed for one hour. It was boring. Overall, we have been unimpressed with Ashland’s special events.

Reviewed 7 October 2018

The tour was most informative and the house was well worth seeing. I liked walking around the grounds as well. I was particularly taken by the walled garden and also by the round ice house that you can go down inside.

Reviewed 24 September 2018

Ashland is terrific we take dog sometimes and wife makes us all lunch even our doggie.. the tour of the estate is marvelous and full of knowledge. we have been 5 timee with friends from chicago

Reviewed 19 September 2018

Originally set on 125 acres of hemp farm land, this Italianate version, built in 1856, by one of Henry's sons, sits on 17 acres today. It is a large mansion, with high ceilings and custom appointments, befitting a successful, Senator, lawyer, farmer and slave owner. If you are in Lexington, make time to visit this interesting 4-generation home of the Clay family and experience some of the history of his multi-faceted man.

Reviewed 18 September 2018

Part of the reason for visiting Lexington was to visit the Henry Clay estate. We both like history, were able to get tickets through Tripadvisor and it was easy to get to from our motel north of the city. We had an excellent guide who gave a lot of information not only about the estate but about Henry Clay himself. The house is not the original but there's a story behind it that I'll let you discover when you visit. There is a small place to eat on the grounds which was convenient but not particularly impressive. We enjoyed the history, the friendly atmosphere and the lovely grounds.