“Deferred maintenance problems” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Jeffersontown
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Deferred maintenance problems”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

I expected the consistency of the Hilton Garden Inn chain, and at first glance, everything seemed to be in order. The grounds are nicely landscaped, the lobby is attractive and the front desk staff is helpful and friendly.

Once you turn the corner and get in the elevator, everything changes! The carpets look dirty and stained, and the temperature in the hallways seems inconsistent. The rooms are quite small, so they seemed stuffed with furniture. Although the beds and bedding were clean and in good condition, the bathroom was less than perfect. The room curtain was halfway ripped down, there were gouges and some stains on the walls and the hair dryer barely worked. The water pressure left a lot to be desired, as well. The members of the housekeeping staff I dealt with spoke no English, and therefore could not understand when we said there were no bath towels in the room. Although the common areas in the hotel are fine, the rooms need a bit of rehab.

Also, this hotel's breakfast is $9.99 plus tax. While I don't mind paying for a good breakfast, this one was quite average. It was a small "buffet" area consisting mostly of cereals, breads, yogurt and a few hot items you could order -- pretty much what would be included with your room charge at a similar chain. They did have wine available for purchase in the evening, which was nice.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

This is the third time this year I've stayed at this location on business. I started to worry from reading some of the latest reviews but had no problems on this stay. The individuals at the front desk are always friendly and helpful. They are open to having a conversation and make you feel as home as possible while on the road. They are in the process of redoing their rooms. The desks are comfortable, which is important as I always have to work at night while being here. Lots of TV channels to chose from and a good value.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

I stayed here twice in one week, arriving on Saturday I left on Sunday, then came back on Wednesday and left out Thursday. First room was layed out funky, the cold a/c was blowing right now the desk, the desk stuck out creating no walking space between the bed, and the a/c unit control lid would vibrate beyond tolerability. The TV was nice quality, and good working remote, bathroom clean, mini fridge was nice to have, and microwave was used for some popcorn which was nice convenience. bed was great. first stay was so good I booked another night for later that week. On my second stay the room was arranged better, the a/c unit also had slight rattle, but was tolerable, however they were painting and I thought they were painting in my room it smelled so bad. Also house keeping was knocking on and attempting to open my door at 7am. the crack below the door was so large I think that is why the room smelled like paint but had not been painted. fairly convenient to a few eateries, but not too many right at this exit, more hotels than restaurants, maybe more will come later.

Room Tip: 3rd floor was being painted and renovated 9/20/11
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

When I first walked in I couldn't help but smell a musty odor similar to dirty wet cleaning towels. I let this go as I decided that I would be enjoying my stay.

Courteous and friendly front desk service and very helpful. I arrived on Monday and went across the way to Logan's Roadhouse (best eatery in the area by the way) for some dinner. I began watching the Monday Night Football double header and having finished dinner I decided I would finish watching the games in my room.

Upon returning to my room, I turn on the tv only to find No Signal on everything except the local weather channel. I called the front desk and they told me the repair company was on-site and sent them up to my room. The fiddled around with the cables a bit and told me they are working on the problem. They never fixed it. 5 days in a room by myself with no TV after a long day's work.

After complaining some more the best they could do was some additional breakfast vouchers which didnt serve me any good since I already booked with breakfast included.

To top it off, I had to turn the AC off starting the 2nd night in order to get some sleep because it sounded like a freight train.

Anyway, take what you will from this. Personally I'll be staying elsewhere next time I come to the area.

• Stayed September 2011
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Smoking is allowed in this hotel even though online on the Hilton site it says it's all non-smoking. Our room had the non smoking symbol - fine, but there were rooms on the first floor that did not have the symbol on the door. Smoke stink in hallway, near elevator shaft etc., but worst is IN THE ROOM even though we were nowhere near the smoking rooms. It must be coming through the vents.

Otherwise it was ok - clean, good beds, service fine, room great, tv fine, small pool (really small) and small hot tub (4 people max pretty close together) but ok really. If you're ok with smoke, you'll be fine with it.

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thefriendlytraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jeffersontown
East Louisville
Wingate by Wyndham Louisville East
Comfort Suites East
#4 of 9 in Jeffersontown
East Louisville
Homewood Suites Louisville East

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Louisville East? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK