“See a REAL Frontier Fort in action”

Old Fort Harrod State Park
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in Harrodsburg
Reviewed 16 September 2011

This is a rare experience as there are few re-created frontier forts to visit. Old Fort Harrod is built near the original site with original style buildings . It was populated with weavers, soap makers, blacksmiths etc. even on a September weekend. Also on the property is the original cemetery from the 1st pioneers , the cabin Abraham Lincoln's parents were married in and a small "mansion" museum . All of this for 1 admission price. There are also picnic tables available for you to enjoy lunch.
This is a fine family attraction or for history buffs or just to see how the pioneer forts were built and looked etc. Great time- . One warning is that some of the re-creators are really long winded so you may have to walk away on them after ther first 10 minutes..if you are not that into Kentucky History.

3  Thank triptique
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

My husband and I were very impressed with the overall visit to Old Fort Harrod - the staff were very friendly and knowledgeable about the history they were portraying. Each one took time to explain their "role" in our history and this is a place you could take the whole family from young to old - all would enjoy this.

3  Thank P L
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I'm from Lexington, Ky and apparently I visited Fort Harrod when I was younger but I didn't remember. This time I went with my husband and we had a GREAT time looking around! We like history and we enjoyed getting a look into Kentucky's history. It's only five dollars and this includes going into the museum and walking around the fort. The museum has a very large antique gun collection that impressed my husband.

4  Thank Drain2007
Reviewed 20 October 2009

We really enjoyed touring the grounds. There was a lot of neat history and touring each little cabin gave you a feel of what it was like to live back during those times. Our six year old daughter was even very interested in walking through the cabins and watching some of the people do their crafts, such as the blacksmith. We went in June and it was a little warm but well worth it. We would highly recommend this place if you are interested in history and what it was like to live back during those times.

3  Thank TJpup
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Another great Abraham Lincoln site in Kentucky! Just a couple of blocks off main street is Fort Harrod park which has the marriage temple and mansion museum. I walked around a little bit first, peeked into the cemetery, with 500 pioneer sites, which is apparently the oldest cemetery in the state and the oldest white cemetery west of the Alleghenies! Don’t see that every day… Outside of the fort there is also a large concrete monument to pioneer settlers. I ventured inside the fort to find sort of a self-contained recreation of Fort Harrod which was Kentucky’s first permanent settlement. Apparently the parking lot was where the original fort was, and the recreation was moved back to this new location for reasons I don’t know! There were some people wandering around in period dress, and several people re-creating pioneer crafts and trades, which I could see several of the children visiting were amazed by – especially the blacksmith. Like the park in Springfield, I could go inside and upstairs in these buildings which I always enjoy. They are re-creations so it was not as frightening to walk upstairs! There were also goats… very cute and very exciting again for the young kids visiting. Overall it was an enjoyable place to visit – something I had seen but wasn’t sure what it was like inside! On the same site is the marriage temple – a memorial building constructed around the cabin that Lincoln’s parents were married in. The cabin was actually originally located in Washington County and moved at some point to Mercer County where they met. It was a lot like visiting the birthplace cabin, except this log cabin is furnished and special for the bicentennial celebration – the front door is open and you can actually go a few feet inside the cabin to get a better look at what it is like inside. Across from the marriage temple, on the way to the mansion museum – I passed by the famous Osage Orange Tree… one of the oldest and largest trees in the country! A crazy and pretty odd formation of a tree… there’s almost always little kids – and big kids climbing on it or picnicking at the table underneath it. The mansion museum at the fort I really liked. I was able to do it at my own pace, although the docent offered to take me around if that’s something I wanted. On the first floor right when I walked in, I found a Union room and a Confederate room with Civil War displays. The Union room was primarily filled with Lincoln history which was a very appropriate supplement to the marriage temple which otherwise sort of stands alone on the Lincoln Heritage Trail in Harrodsburg! As I went through the house, I was impressed by the house itself, the collection of arrowheads and the awesome McIntosh gun collection! There were several men admiring the collection and probably wishing it was theirs… but I think anyone who walks in there would be impressed! There was actually a very wide variety of things in the museum… a little something for everyone.

6  Thank ampd333