Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

1,955 results
All reviews hard hat tour bourbon cream root beer ghost tour free tour bourbon trail great tour gift shop white dog barrel tour pappy van winkle bottling room third generation regular tour national historic landmark free tasting bottling area
Reviewed 5 April 2018

We visited the plant with no reservations or true understanding of what was there. The first thing that hits you is the smell of the bourbon in the air! It was tremendous! The tours are free, as Buffalo Trace is NOT a member of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. We took the basic Tour & Tasting. It lasted about 50 minutes, and ended above the gift shop. The tasting is another 20-30 minutes (the Bourbon Cream/Root beer combination was sublime!!) It was a lot of fun, you saw the basics, and kind of understand bourbon production better. The gift shop has limited choices on available bourbons (the sampled choices are always available, the better stuff by chance), get there early in the day for a better chance at the better stuff...

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

This is a very informative, interesting and enjoyable tour.
It's a must see if your trying to choose which distillery to tour!
You see the workers work, a video, a gift shop and the distillery while learning about bourbon, the history and the specific happenings of this one.

1  Thank Indianall
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

This is an old historic distillery that has won numerous awards for their bourbon over the years. It’s a lovely setting just on the outskirts of downtown Frankfort. The best part is that it is free. Remember, many others charge a fee as much as $20 per person to take a tour. Our guide was a retired teacher with a wealth of knowledge about the bourbon industry and very personable. The tour lasts about an hour with a tasting at the end. If you have children they provide root beer for the youngsters. There were folks on our tour from several different states plus folks from Germany and India. It’s a popular tour.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We took the Buffalo Trace tour with my parents and our 3 kids (13,10,8). Everyone enjoyed it. The tour was free & tours run on the hour without reservation. We arrived only 10 minutes early and had no issue getting on the tour. However, with so many people, they split everyone into two groups, with separate tour guides, which was nice. Our tour guide (a man) was so fun and knowledgeable! However, he became sidetracked easily when people asked questions. So, in the movie room, it seemed like we were supposed to watch a video, but we ran out of time due to questions (mostly from my dad), and we moved to the next building. We also visited a barrel storage building and the bottling/labeling room (no bottling going on). One sweet worker gave each of my kids a "Blanton's" metal horse topper! At the end we were given 3 samples and a bourbon ball. The kids were given samples of root beer. Our 13yo said that this was his favorite stop on our KY road trip b/c of the root beer and all of the interesting information he learned. My mom was disappointed that we didn't get to see the stills or any type of processing, but she didn't realize that they offer several different tours. There was no pitch/sign/jar about tipping which was so refreshing, especially on a free tour. We did get a few things from the gift shop before heading out, and we all agreed that we would definitely be back to try some of the other tours available the next time we're in the area.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

I was interested in seeing how the tours would be from the perspective of a non drinker. The historic tour was very educational and entertaining at the same time. We learned not just about the history of bourbon but how that was intertwined with the settlement of the land and distillery. That tour requires reservation. However, I was able to immediately join the standard tour which is completely different in theme. This tour does go into the making of bourbon, but in a way that makes it very interesting in a historical perspective. Finally, at the end of the tour, we were allowed samples of two bourbons. I still don't like alcohol, but I loved the two hour tours! I had "Googled" and used TripAdvisor to find one distillery (I didn't have time for the 8 hour tours): this is the best one. I was here for a 1/2 marathon and decided on experiencing local culture the day prior. So glad I did.