“Walt's is almost great”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 June 2018

I am old fan of Walt's. Way before new ownership.They are trying to do good. Ribs are great. Service is ok, seemingly because of younger wait staff. They need to improve on this. When we arrived, we announced our reservation time and our name. Three girls there did not know what to do ! Finally one did and we were seated. All acted very immature about all of this. After the meal ( of great messy ribs) we were not offered a small wet towel with which to clean the hands. We asked the waiter AND the guy picking up the plates. Never did get the wet towels. Service has declined. What ashame. Great food. Some patrons may appreciate this, but personally I do not...the "manager/owner", or whatever his title is, comes around and asks if you are enjoying the meal and if all is ok. One time I had an issue with the food, asked for the manager, and it was a whole different story. VERY arrogant ! Thanks for the great food Walt's, but will not forget the previous issue. Please try to improve because it is a GREAT place ! Work on your arrogance.

1  Thank billybE2670JZ

Reviewed 28 May 2018

Venue looks like it’s had no updates in decades, and that would be fine if the food was impressive. The food is not. BBQ ribs from their own smokehouse are dry and tough; good luck to your teeth trying to get it off the bone. I’d be surprised to find out their salads don’t arrive to Walt’s in a plastic bag. The filet was cooked exactly medium, which is how I ordered it, but again, dry as a bone. Our server never came back to our table in between our order and our check. The place is loud and dank inside. Don’t come to this steakhouse expecting to have a conversation.

1  Thank D M
Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Walt’s Hitching Post was so great! The service was excellent, which also matched the fantastic menu and delicious food!
We had such a fun dinner!
Just enjoyed everything!
Thanks to everyone at Walt’s for making our evening perfect!!

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I ate at Walt’s for our anniversary-we’d eaten there 25 years ago when dating. Make reservation on the weekend because the wait can be very long at this popular place. We sat within a few minutes of our reservation and our server Jason did a very good job. He walked the thin line between being too involved and not being around at all. He did a very good job. Some casual chatting and humor, he got us everything we needed and was efficient about it. We started with the jumbo shrimp cocktail which was excellent. Not all shrimp is tasty or fresh, especially the larger ones it seems, but these were a good as I have ever had. Their house rye bread was served and it’s very good. We each had house salads with vinaigrette-just right. I had ribs and the 6oz fillet, my wife had the 10oz fillet. We had a side of asparagus. The fillet was excellent- cooked exactly as requested. The 10oz was a little much for her after the other food, so I’d probably recommend the 6oz. My ribs were just so-so. They were a bit chewy, and not very meaty. Also it seemed to me that they had not removed the silver skin from the bottom of the rib. I think most places do remove this. I am a bit picky with ribs and they can vary in quality, so I’d probably give them another shot. I just wasn’t impressed.
Our drinks were also very good, my wife had a lemon drop martini and I had a makers old fashioned.
I’ll mention the decor-wood with red leather chairs and typical rustic steakhouse with a Kentucky flair.
We hadn’t been here in quite some time and plan to go back again soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

Tonight 5 of us had dinner at Walt’s Hitching Post. We had reservations and were promptly seated, then greeted by wait staff. We had escargot and oysters Rockefeller for appetizers - both were good but not hot as you would expect them to be. We had steaks and potatoes which were good but they were not hot like we normally get them from nice steak houses. Service was attentive.