“down home cooking”

Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 10
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Old Victorian style home built in 1872. Two stories tall, with bottom floor Resaurant and top floor being Boutique and gift shop. Family owned and operated. Local flavor along with homemade candies, cakes and pies. Accommodations for large or small parties. Dual parking, both on the side and rear across from local Catholic Church. Also, handicabable beside rear of building. Best kept secret in Hardin County
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Go here for great home cooking in a historic home that's been renovated. Seating is in different rooms (like in a house) but there is also an additional space that will hold a larger group if needed. My favorites here are the vegetable plate or bean and cornbread. YUM.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

I wasn’t all in on this place based on the photos I’ve seen in reviews. If green beans look obviously from a can (kind of dull and limp looking) in customer reviews then that is a tell to me. However, wife read a lot of great reviews. So, we went. First, I have to give it to them. The place is really cute and the host was sweet. That’s where all positive reviewing stops. It’s a converted house and rather tight but I’m okay with that. The app we ordered was a sweet onion soufflé, which was loaded with sugar and way too sweet. It is actually a cream and melted cheese onion dip since there was absolutely no eggs to speak of and I’m willing to bet it was stove top or microwave heated vs baked as well. They do to try fool you with bread crumbs to give a broiled look. It was served with a bunch of broken chips which seemed from the bottom of a Tostitos bag to me. Mind you this took 15 minutes to get and 1 minute before our meal. The cornbread tastes like a bad mix heavy on baking powder or soda as it’s sour. The country fried steak was 100% bulk frozen and on par with what you find in a cafeteria. Broccoli casserole seemed prefab as well. It had some sort of unsavory breading to it that reminded me of bread pudding. Pinto bean soup was canned beans as well. All in all not the worst but given how cute the place is, it could be so much better if they really put effort into serving quality food. Okay for a lunch but don’t go here hoping to be impressed. I’d rather eat at a chain to get better flavored food to be honest and I love a good mom and pop type place over chains. Just felt my time, money, and calories were wasted.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 24 October 2018 via mobile

Excellent food and service! Stopped here while traveling for work conference. Not more than 5 minutes off interstate.

Reviewed 21 October 2018

We had a very pleasant experience at the Back Home Restaurant. You are made to feel welcome the moment you walk in the door. The lunch menu had some of my favorite regional dishes on it. The chicken fried steak was perfect, crispy on the outside with a bit of seasoning, but not too much. The white gravy was smooth and flavorful The corn pudding was perfect, but a bit cold, the hash brown casserole was a satisfying cheese and potato mix. The biscuits are fluffy and light - they could give the Loveless Cafe biscuits a run for their money. The cornbread was a tad too sweet for our tastes. We loved the friendly service and didn't have to ask for re-fills on the coffee,. There's a little parking area right next to the restaurant.

Reviewed 20 October 2018 via mobile

Stopped for lunch on our way thru town, so happy we did. Food was delicious. We had the Sweet onion soufle dip, not sure if I spelt that right lol. Very creamy and a lot of flavor. My wife had the BLFGT sandwich she loves the fried green tomatoes. I had the opened faced roast beef, very filling. Not disappointed with our choice. Loved the atmosphere