“Always Impressive”

Cumberland Falls State Resort Park
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Corbin
More attraction details
Owner description: Called the Niagara of the South, this site offers breathtaking views, fishing and hiking.
Reviewed 3 January 2018

An arctic blast had settled over region and we decided to head South for the weekend. We settled on Corbin and contacted relatives from North Carolina (in the midst of their own frigid snowstorm) who agreed to drive up for an impromptu family reunion. It wouldn’t be much warmer in Corbin but when the temperature is hovering around 0, 20 degrees above sounds almost tropical.

My wife had an ulterior motive, she had always wanted to observe a moon-bow at Cumberland Falls. The moon would not be completely full, but close enough that if the sky was clear enough, a moon-bow was certainly possible.

Do to unforeseen events, we didn’t arrive at our hotel in Corbin until after 7:00 p.m. By the time we had supper, and caught up with our cousins it was after 9:30 and everyone was spent from the day traveling. We opted to postpone the viewing until the following night.

The following day we spent joc-u-loting (our cousins word for antique shopping) and left for the park around 2:00 p.m. with the intention of getting in some hiking prior to the evening event.

The falls has been a favorite getaway of mine since I was little. In fact the very first vacation I can recall was my folks taking me there back in 1968. Since then, I’ve been back numerous times.

We stopped at the lodge to view some of the Christmas decorations my wife had been told about and to use the facilities prior to heading out for our hike. While we didn’t stay there, the overall appearance of the public areas was favorable. They were clean and well kept. The bathrooms, while clean and well stocked, were showing their age and in need of some renovating.

Once we reached the falls, several of the access areas were closed off due to the installation of the new viewing areas. Another closed as it had iced up from the cold. Years ago, it was easy not only walk right up to the falls, but actually go behind them which I did on numerous occasions. That is no longer permitted.

The trash has certainly increased over the years especially plastic bottles. The main areas of the park, were relatively clean, but below the falls was a different story. I spoke to a park employee regarding the issue. In his response you could hear the exasperation in his voice regarding the constant cleanup from the frequent flooding which washes the trash downstream where it’s trapped near the falls. Regardless, the falls are still an impressive sight.

Any day at the park should include a hike back to Eagle falls. It’s a short, but rugged hike with splendid views of the main falls along the way. The arctic blast had other ideas and this was my first trip without hiking back to Eagle Falls. The temperature drop and windy conditions was too much for several members of the reunion.

Even though the sun was setting, the sky had become overcast with no sign of the already risen moon. The spectacle of seeing the moonbow had eluded us for this trip.

We said our goodbyes in the parking lot and headed out for the 3 hour drive back home knowing that we would soon return for some wonderful hiking and sightseeing.

1  Thank kentuckylongrifle

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

We decided to stop by Cumberland Falls on our way home from Tennessee and are very glad we did! The falls are absolutely beautiful and there are several platforms you can take pictures. The property appeared well maintained despite the presence of trash in the water. I would highly recommend this destination if you’re in the area.

1  Thank Scraggsy123
Reviewed 14 December 2017

My husband and I visited for the first time while traveling back from Lexington, KY to Alabama. I had read a little about the Falls and they are truly amazing. There is an easy walk down to the falls from the parking lot. There is also a nice souvenir shop at the falls if you want to get something to remind you of your visit. The shop has a wide selection of items. The Dupont Lodge is also located in the park. We did not stay in the lodge but it is quite lovely, We ate lunch at the restaurant and it was quite good. You can order from the menu or eat from the soup and salad bar. We chose the soup/salad bar and it was very good. This is a lovely state park and would love to return and spend more time here.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

Spacious parking lot (have never seen it full). Grab your water bottles & head to the falls area. The views are absolutely breathtaking, especially when the colors are changing.
Walking paths are well-kept & roomy, restrooms are clean & plentiful, & there's even a souvenir shop.
If you have friends or relatives visiting, it's a great place to spend the afternoon.

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

Lets get this out of the way: the "Niagara of the South" slogan is idiotic. Worse, it insults this fabulous natural wonder by comparing it to something it can never, ever be.
What you'll find here: Unmatched serenity. Awesome power. Viewing platforms from different angles, most accessible by wheelchair, along paths that are works of beauty themselves. Well maintained, historic, CCC handiwork that is amazingly serving it's purpose closing in on a century of constant use. Views that it's impossible to take a bad picture of, no matter your skill level. Try it, you'll see! Oh, yeah-- moonbow, too. All this for free admission! All pictures my own.