“Customer Service was HORRIBLE”

Courtyard Wichita at Old Town
Ranked #38 of 87 Hotels in Wichita
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I had $100 gift card that I wanted to use to pay for my room. I understand they need to hold a certain amount on my credit card incase something went wrong. That is fine. But I was told there would be no problem to bring the gift card at check out in the morning. AT 7 AM I GOT A FLIPPING PHONE CALL saying that my card was declined and I needed to come down and pay for my room. I explained I had a gift card and that I was using it to pay for it and they still wanted me to come down right away and pay. I am a mom of 3 kids. I would have enjoyed a morning to sleep in!! Two days later I was credited back the amount they held on my credit card. Then I was charged TWICE for the extra money. When I called they refused to help me. I called Marriot Customer Service they refused to help me. They even suggested I call and cancel my cards and issue new ones if I thought someone had charged me twice. Seriously!! I offered to fax over my bank records everything. No help. I will never stay there or tell a friend to stay there again.

Room Tip: pick a different hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jena K
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

This is the second time I've stayed here and on both occasions I've found the staff to be friendly and helpful. A special mention must go to the lady who cooks at breakfast as she not only does a great job but is always cheerful and welcoming. The hotel has no evening restaurant, but this isn't a problem as there is a selection of places to eat within a two minute walk. I have to say that the towing problem encountered by others hasn't happened to me. On check in I was asked if parking was required and given a permit which worked just fine.
The rooms are huge (especially those facing out to the street) if a little dark, the beds are comfy, and the general level of maintenance is fine.

The location is handy as you are no more than a minute from Kellogg, and fairly central to go East or West from there. All in all, while it doesn't have the facilities of a five star it isn't priced at those levels and as a comfortable business base it is more than adequate.

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Here's a story that might be worth investigating. ~~The Courtyard Marriot in Old Town~~Happy Hooker Towing ~~~You tell me if this sounds like a scam! We had a group of 22 that came to town for a concert and when we checked the hotel clerk asked if we needed garage parking. We said "No" and pointed to the hotel's guest parking lot and said we parked over there. She said ok. Well, we get ready to le...ave and two of our groups vehicles were towed in the middle of the night because we didn't pay $9 for a parking ticket that we didn't know we were supposed to have. There is a sign printed in tiny lettering that we did need to get a green pass to put on our cars right under in BIG letters HOTEL GUEST PARKING LOT. So in the end it cost an extra $208 per car to get out of impound. A little common courtesy towards your customers would have been greatly appreciated. The towing company told us they tow anywhere from 5 to 10 cars a night from this hotel's parking lot. So this tells me I am NOT the only one who wasn't aware of the fee to park in the hotels parking lot. Also made us wonder what kind of scam the hotel and the Happy Hooker Towing on Broadway have going on. I tried talking to the manager and got absolutley nowhere. She said it's our fault for not reading the fine print on their signs. Telling your customers of the parking fee when the check in instead of making them mad would be a better way of handling the situation. What happened to common courtesy?

Room Tip: make sure you read the FINE print on the sign and get a parking pass to park in the hotels parking l...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ReBecca M
Andrew B, General Manager at Courtyard Wichita at Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

As we have previously discussed, there are approximately 7 signs in the parking lots as well as the front door and the front desk. I know we have discussed through multiple avenues and feel that there is plenty of signage about parking around the hotel. I apologize if you disagree, but would be happy to provide anyone who reads this review with pictures of the 'Premium Lot' parking signage, as well as the map we provide for free public parking.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Thank you so much for towing my car from your lot after I paid for a room and parking! So now my $119.00 room just shot up to $257.00. Our Company will NEVER use this hotel again!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank D R
Reviewed 10 March 2012

A very overpriced Courtyard that is screaming "remodel me".

You have to pay for parking. At a Courtyard? Say again? In Wichita?

Service was decent. Nothing to write home about.

Breakfast downstairs was nice, and the staff serving was excellent. Very friendly and helpful. The only thing I liked about the hotel.

They actually have a decent gym here, which I totally loved. Too bad they shut it down for no apparent reason while I was staying here.

There are a number of cool bars and restaurants close to the hotel. So, if you are stuck here for work you have a great place to go to get decent food.

You can order room service here through a caterer that delivers for free. My meal was very good and came hot.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business