“Super Clean” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Salina
Illinois
“Super Clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

Stayed here on our way home from Colorado. We didn't have a reservation - just decided we were ready to stop for the night and this was the closest place. The room was very cool when we walked in, which was wonderful since it was 100 degrees outside. The room was very clean and comfortable. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Our6
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Alexandria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

This hotel is quiet with a friendly staff and pet friendly for a fee. Good continental breakfast, clean room. Nice place to stay for a night while travelling.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank TravellingRetiree04
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2010

Super 8 was a great place to spend a night. Room was fairly roomy and allowed us to strech out. Indoor pool was heated properly and contained the noise from splashing children well. Standard breakfast offered and the rooms were very clean.

We stopped in Salina because you have to stop somewhere and this looked like a good bet. We were not disappointed.

Background: We traveled across country for 6 weeks. Two adults and 3 kids aged 12, 7, and 7. Stayed in 30 different motels and wrote this review after having had time to compare this hotel with all of the others we stayed in.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank brentsmiley
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

I don't have a lot of great things to say about this Super 8. It has good location - right next to some gas stations, fast food and the highway. It has an indoor pool & hot tub. It doesn't leak - that I know of. That's about it.

And now the bad. The rooms had a "funk" in it that I couldn't really describe. It didn't necessarily smell like smoke, or BO... more like a subtle combination of the two and some cheap cologne, with a dash of Febreeze. At least they used Febreeze. Personally, I don't like it when I have to get right up on the commode in the bathroom just to shut the door. But at least the bathroom was clean and I didn't see any leftover "hairs" anywhere. The breakfast was... where was the breakfast? All I saw was some coffee, cereal in plastic containers, and some pastries. However - this is $75. Don't expect a hot breakfast spread with all the fixin's. While sitting in the lobby, I saw a woman come to the front desk and ask if they had any other rooms, because theirs smelled like smoke. She then proceeded to tell the staffer how to run the hotel, who I thought took it well. I probably would've told her that she paid $75 for a night's stay - this isn't a Hilton... or a Embassy Suites for that matter.

Overall, I'd advise someone to spend the extra $25 or so and stay in a nicer hotel. If anything to get a better night's rest. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for, and for the money this place was spot-on.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Su870, Manager at Super 8 Salina I-70, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
On behalf of our hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. Your feedback helps us continue to keep our hotel guests satisfied. We would like to apologize if you felt as though any of our amenities were inadequate. We work constantly to make sure all of our guests are satisfied and taken care of properly. Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

We had stayed at this Super 8 once before. Its nothing fancy, but it was okay. I was surprised, however, to smell lots of cigarette smoke coming from the rooms, as the entire motel is supposed to be non-smoking. This trip our "non-smoking" room reeked so strongly of cigarette smoke, it made my eyes water. I went to the desk to ask for another room. The night manager just shrugged her shoulders. Evidently, the entire hotel is "non-smoking", but that's just so they can sell rooms without worrying about "smoking"/"non-smoking" labels. We had young kids with us, and I wasn't pleased that they were spending the night in a room that smelled like a cheap bar.

Other issues: neither of the lights above the bed worked, not enough towels for the number of people in the room, cigarette burns in the upholstery and carpet (big surprise). At $75/night, I didn't think this was much of a bargain for a motel in the middle of Kansas. We'll go elsewhere next time.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family