“Good service. Poor WiFi ”
Review of Houlihan's

Houlihan's
Reserve with OpenTable
Houlihan's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 544 Restaurants in Overland Park
Price range: US$ 11 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

A good bar for a sunshine patio drink. Good service from the hard working staff. Poor WiFi signal made it hard to book an Uber but otherwise good.

Reviewed 10 September 2018

We planned to go to one of the other restaurants in the area but they were packed and had long waiting lines. We came here and were seated and our order was taken quickly. We split the potato soup, chicken fingers and a cheeseburger. A little pricey but very good.

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

We arrived during happy hour and opted to sit outside on a somewhat hot day, but their patio had sufficient shade. When the server arrived to take our drink order, I asked which craft beers were on tap and which cocktail she recommended. She seemed irritated with the questions and acted like she just didn’t want to be working. We all have those days, so I thought no big deal. I ordered the Pink Elephant cocktail ($9), which is premium French Vodka infused with organic blood orange juice, mango, passion fruit, and La Marca Prosecco. It was just OK because the flavors from all the great-sounding ingredients were muted or the drink was watered down. When we got our drinks, my glass had a chip in it and nasty lip stains around the rim (check out the pic). When I brought it to my server’s attention, she didn’t care, nor apologized, and took the drink back and went inside to get another one. Now, I know it’s not her fault, but when I served food, I apologized for things like that.

When it came to food, I ordered my favorite dish, the Char-Crusted Ahi Tuna Salad ($15 for the large size), with strips of tuna, lettuce, cashews, banana chips, carrots, scallions, cilantro, wontons, and a banana-ginger vinaigrette. I rarely order salads as a meal because I typically leave hungry, but this is a good salad. However, when it arrived it was a third of the original side. I thought it was the small size and asked both the server and manager, but both assured me it was the correct size. I would have loved to have seen the small size because the large could have fit within a cereal bowl. I just sent it back. My wife wanted to try their new vegan Impossible Burger ($11.50) which is an Impossible Burger patty, cheddar, special sauce, lettuce, tomato, served in a brioche bun and a side of fries. It looked great and she said it tasted great. Our kids ordered the Taco Bowl ($7) that had “taco meat,” cheddar cheese, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa, served on a large, white tortilla. When the order arrived it was only crumbled up hamburger meat with no taco seasoning—only salt. Most of the ingredients were served on the side like an afterthought, not as a complete bowl. This was Houlihan’s phoning it. We were befuddled as to how our small kids would eat this meal as it was served, so we asked for spoons. We were given large soup spoons for our 4 and 7 year olds, which are simply too big for kids that age to eat a meal. Also, the kids meal should’ve come with carrots and when we asked for them, it took forever and when it came out, the carrots were unpeeled (check out the pic) and all of them were laid skin-side down to cover that up. They looked like they hadn’t even been washed!

After our food arrived, we realized we never got silverware or napkins and had to get them ourselves. It was just one thing after another. When the manager stopped by shortly after the food arrived at our table, he asked “how are things,” I gave him a rundown of my drink and salad size. He seemed disappointed, took the drink, one kids meal, and salad off our bill (even though I had already sent it back), and said, “let me know what I can do to make this right.” After the unpeeled carrot incident, I sought out the manager to show him and he just took them and asked what I wanted—which was the check to close this ordeal out. When the manager came to our table, he asked if we wanted anything and we declined. It was clear he was done with us—even though we weren’t the ones creating the problems, just reporting them—and stopped caring and walked away. Additionally, not once did our server apologize for any of the things that happened. Tables being difficult and tables having bad experiences are two different things and the manager should have realized that and not have treated us as if we were causing the problems. All in all, it was a colossal failure on customer service and guest relations.

1  Thank milack
Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

This place was amazing!!! Trevor, our server, was very attentive, knows the menu well and took great care of our table. The Impossible burger was an incredibly delicious veggie burger! Best I’ve ever had!

Reviewed 2 July 2018

I stopped here after shopping for a drink and a quick dinner. I sat at the bar; the bartenders were very welcoming, helpful and efficient. Houlihan's has a new Happy Hour menu focused on $5 items. I had a drink, a small salad, and shrooms. Fabulous.