“Hotel is going down Hill fast.”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 9 January 2011

This was my fifth stay with family at this hotel. This last trip was bad enough we felt we should pass info on. Hotel beds were broken down and needed replacment, TV in our room is tube type and constantly changed stations on its own. Refrigerator was broken. We were just their for new years eve so I thought one night was no big deal even at $300. The kids enjoy the water park so no big deal....Water park this trip was missing about 1/2 of the chairs to sit in and people were all walking around looking for a place to sit. Fewer tables also this time and about 1/3 had bent legs. Kids water area had about 1/2 of the water guns valves etc.. not working. Plastic skin peeling off of snake in play area and the logs that had been replaced, with cheaper material than originals. One animal was missing from swim area. Short help at top of three main slides(two people trying to run three slides) so lines moved slow until mgr came up Sat night at 5PM, after we had been there 1 1/2 days. One girl(tyler) working the top slide for awhile sat down on teh edge of the twister slde and never moved, she just pointed to you to come over, I guess she was guessing when the other people got to the bottom in front of you.. Blue slide hardly gets used as it is impossible to get to it past people using the new Twist slide. They need to run tubes for this one up the other side. The kicker of the trip was when we received raw chicken at the snack stand that you have to use because you cant bring food or drink in. They only serve meals with drinks and fries and they were trying to fix them as people ordered with only two people working the stand at lunch. Took chicken back and i was told chicken was pre cooked while I was showing her a piece of red raw chicken with just cooked batter. It just looks like they are cutting corners and not fixing items, used to be very nice but we will not stay again for what they charge.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2011

It is greatly appreciated that you shared your recent experiences with us. We're truly sorry that your most recent experience with Great Wolf did not meet your expectations. We know it cannot change the frustration that you felt during your stay, but your insight will help us to create a better guest experience for the future. Your comments have been shared with our pack members, including the appropriate department directors.

Your experiences, particulary as they deal with food safety, were unacceptable and will be reviewed accordingly.

Reviewed 6 January 2011

I don't see how this place can be called a "resort" as it is nothing more than a cheap hotel. The lobby was nice, clean, and inviting, but once you travel down a hallway, you see carpet that is so filthy, it couldn't have been cleaned in days and the carpet was worn and loose with ripples like it needed to be stretched; this was in every hallway on every floor so not just a problem that day with cleanliness. The room was not much cleaner with lint/dust and floor in bathroom needed mopped; the shower had new shower head in corner of shower because they didn't remove the old one that was centered. Yes, seriously! The arcade closed at 1:00pm, right in middle of day(and reaked of dead fish), and the waterpark was crowded and just plain nasty; our 10yr old was ready to go after about an hour. Magiquest was cheesy for lack of a better word and very expensive, not to mention difficult to follow/figure out. For the price we paid, we could have stayed at a luxury hotel and eaten an expensive dinner and still had $ left over. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family

We are sincerely disappointed that you had such a poor experience at Great Wolf Lodge. We take the overall appearance and cleanliness of our facilities very seriously and apologize that this was not true of your stay. Your comments have been shared with our Directors of Housekeeping and Maintenance for proper follow-up and to improve our daily operations.

Reviewed 6 January 2011

We visited Sunday-Tuesday after New Year's, figuring the hotel wouldn't be very crowded, and we were mostly right. Purpose was to play in the water park, eat at some restaurants in Legends Mall nearby.

There was a 15 minute wait to check in as I had 5 families in front of me, and two desk clerks. Another came in towards the end. My check in was 5 minutes. The clerk asked which floor I wanted for my "kid cabin" room. Not having been there, I went with her choice of middle of the hallway on the 2nd (main) floor, which turned out to be an unlucky choice.

The room itself was very large. As mentioned here, the mattress on the queen size bed is awful. No support at all. The beds in the kid's cabin were plastic, which the kids didn't seem to mind. My 52" son fit fine on the bunk bed. There is an additional day bed in there as well. TVs in the room are all old style CRTs (upgrade to LCDs!). The room was acceptably clean, although the carpet looked in need of eventual replacement. The air conditioner made annoying loud clicks when it turned on.

The unlucky part was the inconsiderate people above us (I'm talking to you, room 364). The first night, I swear they were moving furniture. Constant stomping, and noises like kids were jumping on and off beds. Until midnight or so. It continued the next morning. My wife called the front desk. Upon investigating, the manager called back and told us they would be moving out (and were already late doing so). The next group came in mid-afternoon and started doing the same thing almost immediately. Went to the front desk this time to ask that something be done/said. Was informed there were no other rooms to move to, someone would go talk to them. Never heard back, and the noise continued until 10:30pm. The lamp on our wall actually shook. I went up there at 10:00 and heard a man yelling at his 4-5 year old kids to get into bed. Control your kids! While I was there, another inconsiderate mother and 2 teen kids came running and thumping, racing down the hallway. Sigh.

The carpets in the hallways need a good stretching, or replacement. Probably due to all the wet people coming back from the water area.

The water park was really nice. It was warm enough, both air and water temperature. There was a good variety of attractions to keep the 8 and 12 yo busy during 3 visits over the 2 days. The only problems were some non-working elements of the 3 story building in the middle, and the lazy river needs stronger jets to push. Also, the 2 attendants for the 3 tube slides could have been more attentive and quicker to load the waiting guests. The adults only hot tub was nice. Based on a child's height below 48", they get a wristband for the attractions so they don't need to get measured for everything.

Food at the restaurant was fine. My Southwestern Chicken Salad had a hot grilled chicken breast, and tasty dressing on the side. The kid chicken strips came in a metal bucket with fries. The mac and cheese looked like Kraft, if you like that.

For breakfast, I tried to get doughnuts (both days) at the Starbucks/Ice Cream shop, but apparently they sell out their one tray really early. No pre-packaged breakfast food in the store, so I got a to-go box at the breakfast buffet in the restaurant. The manager even gave me two boxes, but I only filled one to take back to the room. Pancakes, bacon and sausage, with potatoes too (those were great).

The Magiquest game was an unexpected surprise. Never having seen it before, I thought the kids would like to give it a go. My 8 yo daughter loved it, but I had to stay with her most of the time to help her understand what she was trying to accomplish. The infra-red wand must be waved in front of various things in 5 areas across 3 floors to finish the quests. After a while, I just sent her off to find things because I was tired of the up and down. The 12 yo could probably have done it fine, but he didn't feel like participating. I thought the whole thing was pretty cool, and all the interactive elements were working and in good condition. It takes about 3 hours to go through the first part - the 10 (or so) quests.

Overall, I would probably go back again for 1-2 nights. I though the price was pretty high for what we got out of it, even though it was dropped $1-200 from the Xmas week, the week before.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family

We greatly appreciate your taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge. I'm so glad your children enjoyed the waterpark and MagiQuest! We also appreciate your thoughts on how we can improve our suites with more up-to-date amenities.

I am sorry to hear that you experienced so much additional noise during your stay. We do our best to respond to guest complaints about noise, particularly during our hibernation time from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. I apologize that you didn't see any improvement after sharing the situation with us.

We hope that we can host your family again soon!

Reviewed 21 December 2010

Hotel - not impressive
Food - not impressive
Service - clearly run by someone watching his pennies. Staff is friendly but there is no concept of what good service is.
Magiquest game really pulled my son in. From an adults perspective it wAs a bit lame and expensive. However one my son started figuring it out it was hours of entertainment. Worth the 44 bucks.
Not overly excited to return.

• Stayed: December 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We're very glad that your son enjoyed MagiQuest. We are getting a lot of positive feedback on this from our guests. I'm also glad that you found our staff friendly, if not entirely effective. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the food and quality of service at the resort. Your comments will be shared with our pack members so that we can improve our guest experience.

I hope you will give us a chance to provide you with the level of service you expect on a future visit.

Reviewed 12 November 2010

We have stayed many times at GWL, in fact, probably too many times over the years...the kids always have a great time, as do my husband and I. However, this last time we stayed on a Sunday for 1 night. We ended up being very disappointed because they had staffed down due to low volume (since Sundays usually don't have a lot of guests)...since they staffed down, many of their services were closed that Sunday night and most of Monday, too. For example, Sunday night after the waterpark closed at 9, the arcade was also closed, so we went upstairs to get them a magiquest wand to do the game, but that shop was also closed. That was such a disappointment, because the kids have always wanted to do that game and I promised them we would let them do it the next time we stayed there, so I had to break that promise (they were NOT happy about that one and neither was I)! We then went downstairs to get ice cream and you guessed it, shop closed! The next day, we waited for the snack shop to open up inside the waterpark (they serve pizza, nachos, drinks, slushies, etc.), but it was closed the entire day, as was the ice cream shop, and the arcade! We had to order pizza from the main restaurant, which was much more expensive. I finally got frustrated enough that I talked to the HR director and she opened the arcade up for us, but the girl that came to work in there seemed less than thrilled that she had to wait on us to play games. It was like we were a burden to her. Call me silly but if I'm paying $240 for a one-night stay, I want to get my money's worth! Since the HR director was nice to us, that helped calm me down a lot. Oh, and one last thing, the water was much colder inside the park this last time than any other time. My toes and fingers were actually numb since the water was so chilly, so I didn't go on the slides that much, nor did I go in the pool at all, I mainly sat in the hot tub to thaw out! We always have good memories, but after this last stay, I have to seriously consider if we'll ever go again. Definitely not on a Sunday/Monday. I guess they must be trying to save on costs or something, and unfortunately it shows.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family