“kitschy fun with a theme song you will never get out of your head”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Welcome to the Lodge, welcome to the Lodge, the Great Wolf Lodge! We stayed back in July 2011 while visiting a local family. We went out for both days sightseeing so we didn't all utilise the water park, but it looked like a lot of fun. My kids are teenagers, so are a bit old for the games, but they still got a laugh out of the wolf den room. We couldn't manage to get a table in the restaurant for breakfast as it was too busy and it did seem a bit expensive. I still have my souvenir wine glass and THAT theme song pops in every time I use it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 November 2011

We go to GWL once, sometimes twice a year. Our kids are 16, 6 and 3. As always, they had a great time. Some reviewers are complaining about the room cost. You have to keep in mind that the price you pay is not just for the room but also for entrance to the waterpark. So, it's obviously going to cost more than just a night at a hotel. The restaurant and snack bar prices are high but are right on track with any other amusement park. I would suggest taking cereal or something for breakfast.. We aren't "get up in the morning and go to a restaurant" people. They have a little coffe/donut place but only once in all the times we've been there have we gotten donuts. This time it was 8am when we got there and they were out of donuts. They lady working just couldn't understand why so many people go there instead of to the restaurant.
The rooms are clean, not well lit. The beds are very uncomfortable. I wake with a backache every morning. We have started staying in the loft suite because they are all on the top floor, it is much quieter up there. The building isn't built for kids running up and down the halls at all hours and it sounds like a herd of elephants, we once had a shaking light fixture everytime they ran through. Something about this place makes parents allow their kids running and screaming through the halls all day and night.
The kids really enjoy the water park and there is something for all ages. I noticed this time that they are in terrible need of a cleaning. The middle sized slides that you go down without a raft are getting a layer of gunk build up. My 16 year old daughter pointed out black around the sides of the pool. I also noticed some gunk on the big slides that you take rafts down. Pretty gross. Hopefully we don't come down with a case of athletes foot (or worse) in our house. We have never ever seen anything like this before this year, it's always looked very clean, don't know what's going on. The pools and water are warm but the air inside was cold, also something we've never experienced.
All of the employees are really nice. The lifeguards this weekend seemed to be under some strict rule of thumb. There was a girl who kept blowing her whistle and calling out a group of boys who, as far as I could tell, were just having a good time. They were maybe a little wound up but they weren't harming anyone. My 3 year old got a whistle blown and was told not to sit on and make the water spray from the things that spray out of the ground. I didn't get that, are they not supposed to play with those?? Another guard at the top of the slides would ask us (myself, my husband and our 16 year old) EVERY time we went down the slide if we were aware of the height and weight restrictions. Enough already. We are all almost 6' tall and not even close to 600 pounds.
In all, we enjoyed our stay and the kids had a great time but things are maybe falling apart. The funk on the slides and pool is enough to make us consider another place next year.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

I am glad to hear that you visit us so frequently, we value our returning guests and I’m glad we can be a part of your family tradition.

Thank you for the honest feedback from your recent stay. I will share your comments with our Director of Aquatics. The health and safety of our guests is our number one priority which is why we have cleaning processes in place that go above and beyond industry standards.

I look forward to having your family stay with us again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Karina Addari

Reviewed 1 November 2011

This is a fun place for kids of all ages. A lot to do. Make sure and take VHS tapes from home have to pay for movies. Magic quest game is really for kids 10 and over. Younger kids can do it someone has to read quest for them . It's kind of long for them may not last long for the money. Also, have to buy wond or swords to play the magic quest game. About 30$ per person. Also anyone going into the water park has to pay and have a wrist band no mater if swimming or not. Can't just go in and help watch the kids. Just be aware of these things. Is a fun place. If you get the paw pass it's the best value. Inquire about it. Restaurant is good and prices are good. Story book time is really fun,a must do. We took our 6 yr. Old granddaughter for her birthday. Halloween is a fun time at great wolf lodge. All decorated and fun things to do for the kids. A must do. Go and enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 30 October 2011

The water park really is the only reason you are going to this property. My almost 3-year old and 5 year old had an amazing time - and my husband and I had fun too! While the rooms were average - they seemed a little on the dark side to us - I suppose it was the hunter green and wolf theme that made them appear so...

We arrived on a Thursday and left the next day - we ate in the restaurant - the food was good, and reasonably priced. The snack bar in the water park seemed more on the expensive time. If we went again, we'd bring more of our own food.

We let our kids play the Magicquest game (we actually just bought a wand for the 3 year-old - since a lot of things "work" without paying for the game) And they had fun. I think my husband had most of the fun with that one.

Since you are able to use the waterpark for the entire day you check-out, we actually checked into a much more reasonable neighboring hotel, and came back to the park in the afternoon - a thought if you just can't stomach another $280 a night room - when you can go across the street to a different chain for about $100 a night.

Room Tip: If you have kids, the rooms with bunk beads are fun. But if spending an extra $100 bucks for "...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed at the Great Wolf for a long weekend. The waterpark is average. We have stayed at the Great Wolf in the Wisconsin Dells (as well as others there - Wilderness & Kalahari) and this is definitely a smaller property with a smaller waterpark. Our kids (13, 11 and 7) were pretty bored with the waterpark after a couple of hours each day. The room was pretty clean - except that the pull-out had remnants of someone else's chips in it when we unfolded it. The room was large enough for the 5 of us. We used the workout facility - 3 treadmills and a couple of machine weights. There was no water in the workout room and no clock and it was very hot in there. For the price I paid for our stay, I expected a few more amenities.

The worst part of the stay was that there seemed to be absolutely no soundproofing between rooms. The first night, it sounded like a herd of elephants above us and we could hear numerous conversations, doors slamming, etc. After two calls to the front desk, it finally quieted down, but you could still hear people as they walked around the room above us even after the really loud noises settled down. The room was also very hot - we turned the thermostat down to 59 and still could not get it to cool off.

Room Tip: stay on the top floor to help cut down on noise.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

I’m sorry to hear about the issues you experienced.

For a larger waterpark, you might visit one of our sister locations (as you mentioned, the Wisconsin Dells).

As for the noise, October is a busy month with our Howl-O-Ween celebration and the busier the hotel is the more noise you will hear. This is why we implement our hibernation hours. I’m glad to hear the noise quieted down after speaking with our front desk.

Again, I apologize that your Great Wolf Lodge experience did not exceed your expectations. I hope that you will visit again soon.

Best Wishes,