New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Hays
Denver, Colorado
“Oktoberfest Weekend”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

I was able to get a great rate by booking a month advanced for 2 rooms. By booking in advance, I had figured that the rooms would be right next to each other. Boy, was I wrong, they were in separate buildings and at the ends of staircase - where you can hear everyone coming up and down the stairs. Glad I didn't have too young of children with me. The folks in front of me were able to get a room (no reservation made) and receive their rooms side by side. Made complaint - nothing accomplished. I had called the front desk after making the trip home (3 days in a row) and no answer.

Went to our rooms to find:
Room 1 - one smelled of smoke (non smoking room), cream colored towels (obviously need to update towels so that they are white), small gap in between door jam and door, curtains didn't close all the way.
Room 2 - Room was hot and humid with only adjustment for air was a thermostat that didn't seem to work properly, no trashcan in the room (had to go to front desk for one), people were running up and down the outside hallway screaming and fighting @ 2AM, curtains didn't close all the way in this room as well.
Lobby - Eating area is too small, spiral staircase is in the way and this area should be moved. Too many Danishes and couldn't find any fruit available. Larger cups would be nice as well.
Disappointed? YES!
Stay there again? Yes, unless a better rate is provided by another hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank msgigglez07
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Morrow, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

In the past I have had some not so good experiences concerning various Days Inn locations. We ended up staying at this one because we had our cat with us and the booking we had made at Quality Inn while pet friendly did not include cats. So we paid $8.00 more for our car who is litter box trained and has no claws. (I don't see the extra charge but that's a whole nother story). At any rate the motel while old had been remodeled and they did a good job. Our room was nice size and the bathroom had a sink and mirror inside and another outside. This allowed my wife and myself to both get ready at the same time in the morning. They advertised a continental breakfast but it was much better. They had the ability to make fresh waffles, and also had biscuits and gravy and bangles along with a toaster. It was a very good value. The front desk was pleasant and efficient in both check in and check out. The only down side might be that our room was set aside for people with pets. And ours very well may have had it's share of dogs over time and there was a slight Oder (not overwhelming but it was there). Also we were on the ground floor and had a bunch of very noise neighbors right over our heads. But that can happen anywhere when you have two stories. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Upper floors would eliminate the noise associated with a room being over your head. However you als...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Maryland Heights, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

We stopped in around midnight, on our way through Kansas. Was very pleased to see an American face at the desk. Very pleasant. Got us checked in quickly. Opened the door to a very neat and clean room. Beds looked to be fairly new. Continental breakfast had a waffle maker, which my husband loved. Also had cereal and an assortment of pastries and bagles. Good experience.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

I view motels in a town like Hays, KS as a commodity - a place to sleep. The Days Inn had the best price, especially relative to the TripAdvisor ratings (i.e. low cost / good ratings).

Check in was easy. The guy in front of me got a lower rate than I got reserving on the internet (he got an AARP discount, I don't qualify). I asked the clerk if I could get a better deal, and he took $5 off. I also reserved through the Days Inn website, which gave me a "same day" cancellation window. The "travel" websites (e.g. Orbitz & Travelocity) required a "day before" cancellation.

The room is CLEAN. Not surprisingly clean, not clean relative to the price. Just plain clean. The pool was surprisingly large, and a nice treat on a 100 degree day. Internet access was quick and easy. There's a phone in the bathroom - the first time I saw a phone in the bathroom was at the Four Seasons in Vegas. Not sure who I'm gonna call on the bathroom phone in Hays, KS. The bed is a double - you'd have to be real close to someone to share it. The mattress is firm . . . very firm. No problem for me, but definitely not a heavenly bed. There's a standard room safe - a nice surprise (I needed a place to stash the stolen diamonds while I went to dinner).

In summary, I'd say this may be the best dollar for dollar place I've stayed. It isn't the Four Seasons, but that isn't what I was looking for.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Findlay, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

I was stranded in Hays, Kansas for three days over the fourth of July with my two dogs. They put me in a room on the main floor that offered a park beside the hotel and the pool right outside my window. Other dog owners were located on that same strip of rooms which was good as you didn't worry too much if your dog accidentally barked. Since I was stranded there I was able to walk across the street to the Acew hardware for dog food- of which I had just enough to get back to my home in Ohio but not enough for the un[planned stay in Hays. The hotel also offered upscale dining next door and gas stations and burger places within walking distance. I often had the pool to myself and I could keep a close eye on the pups at the same time. I was able to see fireworks from all directions from the parking lot on the fourth of July. Also found a school near by with more park and green space to run the dogs. Nice residential homes and other hotels were neighboring this hotel and the staff was very helpful with my stay and understanding my situation tried to give me very personal attention. I had just lost my father and was returning to Ohio when I got stranded there with a vehicle breakdown. There was also a uhaul office right across the street and a Good year Auto service close.
Ran into some very nice folks who live in the area and a few churches near by to walk to and attend on Sunday. Hays also has a small airport that has frequent flights to Denver and other areas of course and car rentals are available there too. Unfortunately over the weekend of the fourth everything was closed - and nothing opened until Tuesday so from Sat. to Tuesday it was challenging alone but they had a festival going on that weekend which would of been fun to see if I had a car, etc.. Many historic things to see there! KAnsas is a pretty state with the beautiful rolling hills and vistas - you can see forever!

Room Tip: ask for a poolside room, main floor
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
DaysInn05290, Manager at Days Inn Hays, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. Your generosity is very much appreciated, and we are so glad you were able to have a good stay, even though the circumstances that left you stranded were less than ideal.