“You can't do better”
Review of Brown Street Inn

Brown Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Iowa City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed in the Brown Street Inn while we were on a college visit to the University of Iowa.

We'd had a long drive after a day at work, and the first thing Innkeeper Mark did after welcoming us was ask us if we were hungry. He then gave us a map to restaurants within walking distance, and showed us to an upgraded room. (Another guest stayed over.. and we benefited when the room we reserved was no longer available.)

This is a place where those who want to keep to themselves in quiet and elegant surroundings can. You can enjoy peaceful moments on an expansive front porch overlooking a cobblestone street and an historic neighborhood.

You can also enjoy the other guests at breakfast, whom I found just as interesting as the Inn itself. The conversation was interesting, and telling, as the guests were regulars. As in people who were now considered friends with the owners of the B and B as well as among themselves. Mark does a great job reading people, and he and the guests began to tell my daughter all the terrific things about the community and the university. It was a delightful way to start our day.

The university is within easy walking distance, so this inn is well-situated for anyone who just wants to park and soak up the community.

The accommodations were first-rate, as was the breakfast. The offerings included artisanal scones from a local baker that were fantastic. My daughter loved the endless assortment of teas. I appreciated the fresh fruit, great coffee and granola.

In our haste in checking out, we left our itinerary for our college tour.. and Mark tracked me down and made sure we had it before we left town. That is a level of service you won't find in many places.

If my daughter does choose Iowa as her college, we will definitely make the Brown Street Inn home base when we are in town.

Room Tip: We had a suite upstairs, which was lovely. Otherwise, I would ask for a room facing the street. Al...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kim I
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

A friend and I stayed at the Brown St Inn last night. The whole way home today was how wonderful this place is. Mark has definitely figured it out. We did not feel like we were staying at a hotel. It felt like visiting an uncle. The rooms were big and clean. So Clean. The Breakfast was better than anything I could of imagined. The worst part of the stay was having to leave. I cant wait until I can get back to Iowa City and Uncle Mark.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Until now I have stayed in B&B's only with my wife, but the reasonable pricing and high TripAdvisor ratings lead me to consider Brown Street Inn while alone on business in Iowa City. Now I am adding even further to the high ratings. The Inn is a tastefully decorated early 20th century home well located for downtown, the university, and for points north, including Cedar Rapids and the airport. Mark, gracious and alert, is an ideal host. My bed room and private bath were amply-sized, quiet and very comfortable. The room had personality ... and was thoughtfully provisioned. There were surfaces for putting bags, a pleasant couch and cable TV and robes in the closet. The bathroom was homey and elegant. At first I didn't realize how special it was to avoid the chemical-laced air that is the norm in motel rooms. My room was odor free - it was like being at home. I wish all my future nights on the road could be as relaxing and healthy. Which brings me to the continental breakfast: you won't be disappointed. Brown Street Inn gets my highest rating.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Art P
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The Brown Street Inn was a truly wonderful experience. It was super clean, extremely friendly, and was like being at home...only, in a home much nicer than you would normally find yourself in. The inn keepers are really nice people, and they allow you your privacy, while also really exceeding your expectations for customer service. They are down to earth folk who want you to enjoy your stay, and know that classic elegance, a homemade chocolate chip cookie, and a cup of really great coffee make the whole stay worth it. It's beautiful and grand, but not pretentious or odd. It's everything we wanted, and nothing we didn't--although, my husband did admire the ironed bed linens so much that I had to put the kibosh on any expectation that I would be ironing sheets at home. He's settled for staying at the Brown Street Inn more often--compromise is what makes a marriage work !

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room--all are pretty quiet, and all have bathrooms, and there is a coffee make...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank S M
Reviewed 24 January 2012

The Brown Street Inn has plenty of rave reviews here, but I want to echo other travelers in highly recommending this lovely place. I usually stay with friends on my rare visits to Iowa City, but needed a quieter space on a recent trip - Brown Street was perfect! The decor is lovely and thoughtful throughout, with interesting touches of local history. Rooms are immaculate and good-sized. The location is perfect, in a quiet historic neighborhood within walking distance of the main university area and downtown. The cooked-to-order breakfast is a stand-out, especially when served in the beautiful dining area! The hosts are warm, knowledgeable and excellent conversationalists without being intrusive. An ideal B&B!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 7 in Iowa City
1.3 km away
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
2.6 km away
1.2 km away
Iowa House Hotel
Iowa House Hotel
#7 of 7 in Iowa City

Been to Brown Street Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK