“Darling B&B”

Ranked #1 of 7 Iowa City B&B and Inns
Den Haag
“Darling B&B”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I highly recommend this charming B&B in a historic neighborhood in Iowa City. I stayed at the Brown Street Inn while visiting my daughter who lived down the street. She knew I would love it by the front porch and she was right. Very cozy, homey - the fireplace burning in the library with plenty of easy chairs to relax in. The rooms were period decorated, beds comfortable, pillows great. Water & tea on a chest in the hallway. Breakfast was a treat of homemade bakery goods from nearby with fresh butter & local jams.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I stayed for three nights at the Brown Street Inn while moving my freshman into the university. The Inn is the utmost in comfort. I was in the Red Room which is very large and beautifully decorated. Mark did a fabulous job of making my stay comfortable and relaxing. The large front porch is a great place for reading and I imagine a winters day by the fireplace in the livingroom would be lovely. It is in a quiet neighborhood, close to the university, but away from the crowds. I look forward to another visit.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Sonora, CA
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Everything all the other reviewers say is accurate, I cannot compound it more. Mark is one of the coolest dudes I've ever met in a B&B. Better hosts do not exist. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MitchSonora_CA
SmilingWanderer
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Stayed at the Brown Street Inn for two nights on a visit to Iowa City to see my Freshman. On previous trips to IC we stayed in the hotelVitro and the Sheraton. (Also stayed at the Iowa House Hotel, but that is such a bad property it doesn't even merit inclusion in the dialog). The price point for the BSI is about the same as the other two properties, but when you throw in a fantastic weekend morning breakfast and free (outdoor) parking, it is a better value and compares favorably to these other properties.

My reviews of the hotelVItro and Sheraton are more or less neutral. You get a fantastic central location right on the pedestrian mall -- health club and swimming pool, too -- but the rooms are kind of blah (both times we looked out over a rooftop air conditioning unit), the service a bit impersonal. Breakfast in the lobby was the same stuff you'd get at an airport Marriott or Holiday Inn. Not bad just nothing to write home about.

On this trip we decided to mix things up and stay at the BSI (largely based on TA reviews). It is a bit further from downtown, but it is an easy walk from BSI to Berge dormitory, to downtown and in general to most of what is going on in Iowa City. It was about a mile to the pedestrian walkway. I have to say, with peak autumn colors, wide tree-lined streets, 75 degree weather (slight breeze and spectacular sunshine) and cool brisk moonlit evenings: the BSI was a showplace. The whole weekend was like a recruiting poster.

We arrived late (about 8 pm) and met LJ at the front door. Mark welcomed us and immediately showed us to our room, and provided information on evening dinner options in IC. Quite a difference from pulling up into a big hotel. Mark has been doing this for a while and you can tell he has perfected being "accommodative" without being intrusive. He was congenial and engaging. Parking is available on site (for no fee).

We stayed in the 3rd floor suite which was spacious. Comfortable bed, sitting couch, small desk, with a roll-away provided for my daughter. Everything in the room worked, was spotless and quaint. Believe it or not we needed to use the a/c. King-sized bed was fantastic. Still lots of room to spread out and unpack. Bathroom was quite large. Loads of towels. I'm 6'6" and the shower easily accommodated my height. (The suite is on the third floor, so expect some stairs). Mini fridge in room was great (microwave in room too). Wi Fi available.

The communal living space was tastefully decorated and comfortable looking. Lots of easy chairs and sofas. We spent nearly every free minute at the B&B sitting outdoors on rocking chairs on the large front porch. LJ immediately warmed up to my wife. Fantastic. Relaxing. Private. Not sure if I would have been quite so impressed with it during February, but October is a great month to sit out and enjoy the evening in a quiet neighborhood.

The Sat and Sun morning breakfasts were outstanding. Stuffed blueberry french toast, vegetarian quiche, ham, sausage. Very hearty and delicious. They even hosted my son who welcomed the change from his customary dorm food.

Overall, I highly recommend the Brown Street Inn. I plan to stay there again. Not sure if I will ever experience the type of weather again, but the welcoming Brown Street Inn is a winner.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor suite easily accommodates three people if one is willing to sleep on a roll-away.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
USA
Reviewed 25 September 2011

When my partner and I decied to travel to Iowa City to be married, we wanted to make certain that our wedding night would forever hold special memories. How lucky we were to have discovered the Brown Street Inn. Previously leery of B&B stays because of their variability, the absence of any distinctive hotel options in Iowa City pushed us again to explore B&B options. Mark and Bob at the Brown Street Inn have, without doubt, opened our eyes again to the comfort that a B&B can offer. Greeted at the door with a smile and heartfelt congratulations on our marriage, we knew from the very start that this would be a special place. The decor was impeccable, and made us feel warm and at home as soon as we entered the foyer. Our third floor suite was spacious and meticulously clean with comfortable bedding and more than ample seating. The bathroom was equally roomy and comfortable. A cabinet with extra linens available on the landing below our room was a noteworthy touch, as it obviated the need to request extra linens to accommodate our needs. We loved the short walk along cobblestone streets - pure Americana - between the Inn and downtown, all of which added to our sense of comfort and relaxation. Our departure day breakfast was accompanied by delightful conversation with our innkeepers and fellow guests, with whom we had enough common interests that the sense of community created another amazing touch. Although we plan a wedding celebration with friends and family back in our home state, our memories of Iowa City and our first night as legal husband and husband will forever be enhanced by our stay at the Brown Street Inn.

• Stayed September 2011
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 7 in Iowa City
1.3 km away
hotelVetro: studio suites & convention center
3.3 km away
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
3.1 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
2.8 km away
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Brown Street Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK