“Potential, but needs new management” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of AmericInn Lodge & Suites Grimes

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Grimes
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grimes
Omaha, NE
“Potential, but needs new management”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2009

We have stayed at Americinn Hotels for years, as well as others in the area, and this by far is our least favorite place to stay. Its convenient location and availability are the only reasons we continue to come back. The Americinn chain is family friendly, and the personnel usually is friendly as well. My recurring complain with this particular hotel in the chain is that it is not maintained well. In the last few times we've stayed we've experienced clogged tub drains, broken tile in the bathrooms, broken drawers in each and every room we've stayed in, and humidity in the pool area that results in dripping ceilings, wet chairs, and rusty mounts in the sprinkler system. On the up side, the pool is always clean clear to the bottom so I can see the children easily, and the breakfast is consistently good. They are receptive to requests from guests, but I fear that unless they begin a regular maintainence routine, there isn't going to be a hotel left in a few years. Frankly, the Ankeny facility is cleaner and in better repair, the local amenities more plentiful, and the price is comparable if the rooms are available.

• Liked — Availability
  • Disliked — Maintainence
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank FriendlyTraveler64
, Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Grimes, responded to this review, 8 October 2010
We appreciate your feedback and have some exciting news to share to respond to this comment. We do have new management is what I would like to tell you about first. We are going through some fantastic renovations including new beds and bedding, new TV's and converted our meeting room into the Iowa Room Tavern serving beer, wine and food. We have implemented an excellent maintenance program and added scrambled eggs and sausage and some healthy alternatives to our Perk Breakfast. To sum up our new direction, all that you do not recommend the hotel for, I say we cater to best now!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2008

This was the second year in a row that my family has stayed at the AmericInn over New Years weekend. A lot has changed since our visit there in Dec 2006. First and foremost, when I stayed there last year and only paid $69.00/night I was very impressed with the great price. The hotel was clean, the amenities were great, and the service was great! This year when I made the reservation I was shocked to find that the rate had increased to $89/night, however having stayed there before I knew it was worth that price. I have stayed at numerous 5 star hotels and resorts across the country so I am prone to not paying less than ~ $159.00/night. However, the hotel selections in Grimes Iowa are very limited so you get what you pay for.
This year upon arrival I was immediately turned off by the fact that I had to stand at the deserted front desk and wait 17 minutes to check in! There was a sign that said, "Assisting another guest, will return soon". This was Friday night December 28th at 6:30 pm; you would think that there would be more than one employee on duty available to assist guests with check in. Secondly, there is no elevator in this hotel (which I knew from last year) so if you're on the second floor you have to carry all of your luggage up the stairs. Because there was only one employee at the front desk, there were no employees available to help carry baggage upstairs. On the way up to my room I observed that the hotel had aged over the past year. The walls showed signs of wear and need a new coat of paint, and the woodwork also needed severe polishing. The hotel does a good job of trying to create ambiance during the holidays, there was a 9 or 10 foot tree in the lobby along with a gas burning fireplace. However, the sitting area in front of the fire place was extremely dusty and the glass top table had sticky child-size hand prints all over it, that I observed never were cleaned during the 2.5 days that I was there. The continental breakfast and the pool are the best amenities. The breakfast is self serve but has waffles, bagels, donuts, hard boiled eggs, fruit, cereal, yogurt, and a selection of juices, teas, and flavored coffees. Again, the seating area for the breakfast was dirty. The tables needed cleaning and the chairs were sticky. So, overall this hotel needs some serious cleaning and could be nice if they kept up with that. I will definitely not stay here in Dec 2008; I hear there is a new Hilton Garden Inn not too far away. Also, I’ll be curious to see what the rates are in 2008 because this hotel is definitely not worth more than $69/night.

• Stayed December 2007
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your response. We appreciate you staying with us over the holidays. We have new management and are going through some wonderful renovations with new beds, TV's and additional items to make the rate more of a value to you and your family. Check out our Romance Package if you would like to make your next visit more special during that time of year.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2007

Room was large and clean. The beds were comfortable. The morning breakfast was great. We stayed here twice. Once going to Minnesota and then again on our way back.

• Liked — The comfortable beds
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
ILLINOIS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2006

Very clean hotel, quiet, no road noise, fairly new. High speed internet. Friendly employees. Nothing fancy. As previous review says, no stairs, but for me not an issue. Breakfast is continental.

Stayed May 2006
Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2005

This hotel isn't terrible. The lobby is cute and clean. However, there is no elevator and we had to schlep our stuff up to the second floor and down the hall. I had a cast on my leg which made it more difficult and they would not move us to another room. There were old stale pieces of donut on the window sill and under the bed and desk. The room was OK but smaller than most. The "hot" breakfast was not all it was cracked up to be compared with other similarly priced inns we have stayed on our cross country trip the last couple of years. Only hot item was make-it-yourself waffles and even then, they ran out of waffle mix. No fresh fruit at all, which is a staple at other places. Mostly just sugery grocery store donuts (Like the one we found under the bed!) Coffee was horrible! Desk personnel were neither friendly nor helpful. For the same price, stay down the road at one of the places in Clive or Des Moines.

Stayed July 2005
1 Thank tripcrixchick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grimes
7.7 km away
5.4 km away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Urbandale/Des Moines
7.9 km away
Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Grimes? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK