“Clean, Good Value” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Plainfield, Illinois
“Clean, Good Value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

We stayed one night on. Hotel was easy to spot, right off US 20 (Dodge Street). No problems wirh our reservation through AARP, rooms were larger than expected, clean, and functional. No elevator, so be prepared to walk up to top third floor with luggage.There is a Mexican restaurant next door , and there are many other restaurants just a few blocks west (Champs, Ground Round, Olive Garden, and fast food, some of which are open till midnight, which we neded due to late arrival). There are also 24 hour Walgreens, Super K mart, and and Wal-Mart if you forgot something. Free breakfast (nothing fancy, but quick - cereal, pastry, bagets, biscuits & gravy, juice & coffee machines) and internet access. Staff was friendly and courteous to us. We would stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank TAXGUY_10
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

I was a bit put off by the lack of care at this establishment. I am by no means a pampered traveller. This was a stop over en route to another destination, so I only needed a clean bed to sleep in (the bed was clean). All the other stuff was disappointing.... the chair in the room was broken, the coffee maker hinge was broken, the laundry facilities were dirty, the front desk/breakfast nook was sloppy. These little things are fixable.... no different than chores in a home. The owners of this place don't seem to care ... and it really shows.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Daphne R
Blaine, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

I had requested a non-smoking room on the internet, but we got a smoking room. When we got there, we were told there were no non-smoking rooms available. The room reeked. Our receipt showed I had requested a smoking room, so it was my fault for not checking the confirmation earlier.

The hallways were not vacuumed well and the back entry door did not lock. I hated the room decor - White sheets with a thin blanket between is not my idea of good decorating. A quilt would have improved the dreary look. The recliner in the room had broken arms.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jenny4723
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

Used Priceline.com to book a room. Hit first available room not thinking that smoking is no longer allowed in rooms. Called to make sure and was told I had a smoking room. Asked to be switched to non-smoking and was told no problem.

When I checked in, much to my surprise, I had a smoking room. I informed the front desk that I have asthma and cannot stay in a smoking room. The lady at the front desk couldn't have been ruder. She said I did not call to change. She said there were no non-smoking rooms. When I asked to cancel for the week she said that was fine but I would have to pay for the whole week.

I filed a complaint using a number on there business cards only to find out the number is for days inn not super 8.

The gm was of no help either and also had zero customer service skills. I have never written a review or filed a formal complaint, ever. If they would have shown some compassion I wouldn't have written this.

The room was dirty and the customer service was worse. Don't stay here!

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank theviver
super8dbq, Manager at Super 8 Dubuque/Galena Area, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
I am sorry you had a bad experience. But you booked a smoking room thru priceline and they have confirmed this. and you did not tell us you wanted a non-smoking room when you checked in nor did you call. . You stayed here for 8 days and after your stay you wanted a full refund. Which I couldn't do. as a courtesy I refunded 10% off your entire stay.
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

Had no issues at this hotel. Fair price, good breakfast. Biscuits and gravy, cereal and wonderful fresh donuts. Super cable and clean rooms. AC works great. I would stay again. It was also nice and quiet. Nice workers.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends