“Stay at Your Own Risk”

Super 8 Dubuque/Galena Area
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
“Stay at Your Own Risk”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

Used Priceline.com to book a room. Hit first available room not thinking that smoking is no longer allowed in rooms. Called to make sure and was told I had a smoking room. Asked to be switched to non-smoking and was told no problem.

When I checked in, much to my surprise, I had a smoking room. I informed the front desk that I have asthma and cannot stay in a smoking room. The lady at the front desk couldn't have been ruder. She said I did not call to change. She said there were no non-smoking rooms. When I asked to cancel for the week she said that was fine but I would have to pay for the whole week.

I filed a complaint using a number on there business cards only to find out the number is for days inn not super 8.

The gm was of no help either and also had zero customer service skills. I have never written a review or filed a formal complaint, ever. If they would have shown some compassion I wouldn't have written this.

The room was dirty and the customer service was worse. Don't stay here!

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank theviver
super8dbq, Manager at Super 8 Dubuque/Galena Area, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
I am sorry you had a bad experience. But you booked a smoking room thru priceline and they have confirmed this. and you did not tell us you wanted a non-smoking room when you checked in nor did you call. . You stayed here for 8 days and after your stay you wanted a full refund. Which I couldn't do. as a courtesy I refunded 10% off your entire stay.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

Had no issues at this hotel. Fair price, good breakfast. Biscuits and gravy, cereal and wonderful fresh donuts. Super cable and clean rooms. AC works great. I would stay again. It was also nice and quiet. Nice workers.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Gurnee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

This was our first time ever staying at a Super 8 Motel. When we got there, the lobby was packed, however Mary, the Guest Service Manager, greeted us right way. Because of all of the scary stories you hear about bed bugs and things, the first thing we did was check the bed. NOTHING! Perfectly pressed sheets and no bugs. A couple hours after settling in, we received a check up call from the front desk just making sure everything was ok. Let me just say, this was the cleanest hotel room I have ever stayed in. The shower was free of any water spots, the sink was free of water spots and the toilet was spotless. No hair on the floor in the bathroom. No stains on the towels. And the bed, I felt like it was made just for me, so comfy! Everyone on staff was incredibly friendly! I WILL be going back to stay at this Motel everytime I am in the area. Thank you Super 8 Motel!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Williamsburg, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

Great mix of motel for the money and a wonderful place to eat next door, stay here 8 nights a year. Service has never been a problem, helpful people willing to help. This has been the experience over the years.

Room Tip: Book ahead for busy weekends, yes Dubuque.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2011

I had to cancel a reservation due to a death in the family, I was asked to please call back in 10 minutes because "mary" wasn't at the front desk. I did this and called again, "Mary" was completlely RUDE and would not not cancel my reservation because it was after 4!! She said i am sorry mam,but it is one of those things and goodbye!!!! I was completely courteous through out this conversation btw! WOW!! better hope you don't have a DEATH in your family and have to cancel a reservation. Seems other reviews of this hotel have had bad customer service too. You know the Hampton is the same price with great reviews!! Just down the road! Go there!
Disliked: Service

Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank danegrl210

Travellers are raving about these Dubuque hotels