New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Hainesville, Illinois
“Surprised, very surprised!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

I have traveled every weekend for the last 8 weeks following my college son’s baseball team. Last weekend’s trip brought us to Dubuque. I had not made a reservation, but when I found out that some other family had made a reservation at the Holiday Inn I decided it would be best to book in the same location. Initially I was turned off based on the fact that this is in the heart of downtown and in an older building.
Once I walked through the doors I was immediately impressed with the size, cleanliness and design of the lobby area. It was obvious to me that the meeting rooms and banquet halls were plentiful and available.
Hallways were wide and long. The room was very clean and the flat screen TV was a huge surprise. The beds and pillows were comfortable and the room was much cleaner than I would have expected in an older hotel.
I will definitely stay here again when in Dubuque.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear BuckRussell,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Dubuque. We are pleased that you were pleasantly surprised with the ambience of the lobby and the overall cleanliness of our guestrooms. We work hard at providing a quality guest experience for all of our guests and will continue to improve. We will be completely renovating our lobby this year and the next time you visit we know that you will again be surprised by the changes. Thank you again for your kind comments.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

I stayed here because it was close to my destination. I had been driving for quite a while and I was looking forward to a nice hot tub and swim. As fate would have it the pool and tub were closed.The room was nice but my only view was of another building. The TV was nice and big but the controller was reluctant to work, maybe it needed new batteries. In the morning I went looking for the breakfast buffet, but they don't offer a free breakfast - so figure in some extra money into the rate to compare against other hotels. Overall the hotel served its purpose but was slightly dissapointing.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ngranback, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Dear Seavapor,

Thank you for the comments on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Dubuque. Feedback helps us to determine what areas need additional focus.

Please accept my apologies for the pool and whirlpool being closed the week you stayed with us. We were in the process of renovating the pool deck, which may have been frustrating to our guests but was necessary to update. As a general rule, full service Holiday Inns do not offer a complimentary breakfast. We do offer a $20 voucher for breakfast for an additional $10 in the room rate.

Again, Seavapor, thank you for your comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you the next time you travel to Dubuque.
Mobile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Congenial staff, excellent accommodations and amenities, great location exceeded my expectations. If only all of the other Holiday Inns were like this one. I especially liked the workspace at the desk. The bed was so comfortable that I had a sleep hangover. My only disappointment was in the hours of operation for the restaurant. However, there are great eateries within a short walk or drive. I highly recommend this facility to business and leisure travelers alike.

Room Tip: My work schedule precluded my ability to utilize the spa, if there was one. I was not able to partak...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Brian C.,

Thank you for the comments on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Dubuque. We appreciate feedback from our guests, positive and constructive, but are delighted when we receive a review such as yours. Your review tells us that our efforts to provide a quality experience worked. I would like to say hello and thank you in person the next time you stay with us. Please ask for me at the front desk when you check in.

Again, Brian, thank you for your comments.
Hastings
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is the hotel I was booked into to attend meetings in town for business. Right off the bat I had a bad feeling as I was greeted by a sloppily dressed lady with a rip in what appeared to be her jama pants with flip flops. At first I just thought she was a person staying at the hotel until after standing for a while at the front desk she decided to come around and help me. The next day wasn’t much better the ATM was out of money and she advised they had nothing to exchange a hundred with. The toilet was already clogged when I got there, but otherwize the room was clean the bed was comfortable. However, the rest of the stay was uneventful and it is centrally located to downtown. Nonetheless, I likely won't return.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Adriene H,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

This is a good hotel in a nice location. We spent two nights there. It is right downtown (free parking) just across the bridge to the Port of Dubuque where we visited the Mississippi River Museum and Diamond Jo's Casino. The hotel was clean and updated. Our room was a decent size and the beds were quite comfortable--just a little too much on the firm side for me but that is nit-picking. We were the only people in the restaurant at 11:00 am which surprised me but the food was good so no complaints.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple