“Nicer than it looks from the outside”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We have a lot of family in DBQ, I think I've stayed in every hotel in the city. A reservation at the last minute was made by a family member, and when we got there I was a little apprehensive about staying in a place that resembled a large cell block. But once inside the hotel is quite pleasant, the staff is nice, the rooms are clean with reasonably updated decor. Totally reccommended.

Room Tip: Ignore the outside, the inside is nice.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank bermuda_explorer
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 September 2011

The staff was very nice and extra helpful. But the building is obviously old and could use some updating. Overall clean and good continental breakfast.

Room Tip: The view from the east side of the building is better than the west.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lenn B
Reviewed 3 August 2011

The staff was AMAZING!! The girl who worked the front desk was very friendly and gave us great advice where to go eat in town. We asked on our way to our room and as we were leaving the hotel she had a map all made out for us of her recommendation. Her recommendation was perfect and we had a fantastic dinner. The hotel itself is what you would expect of a Comfort Inn. It isn't the nicest in the world but it was fine for budget traveling. The pool was nice. The only complaint we had about the pool was the fact that like most Comfort Inns the pool has two ladders in and no steps. My youngest son can't swim so we had to hold him the whole time we were in the pool.

Room Tip: Be a reward club member. They upgraded us to a suite.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Gagesmom314
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I stay mostly at Comfort Inns, so that is the first place I look for in a town. This one was not nearly as nice as most but staff was very freindly, room was clean...small..but clean. Rooms need updated badly..older TV's...Air condtioner leaked on floor..no biggie tho..outdated bedding..hated the pillows but bed was comfy...all in all for the price it was acceptable

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane V
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Having not done ANYTHING fun with my daughter while she was on Spring Break, I had Friday off to spend with her. I planned for us to go spend the day in Dubuque, IA to visit the Mississippi River Museum. On a whim, I checked out Priceline and decided to "Name my Price" at $35 in a 3 star hotel arriving that very night. To my delight, it was accepted and were on our way at 7pm! With tax, the room came to $47 and change.

We arrived to the 2-star rated (how did I get a 2star with a 3star request, PRICELINE?!) Comfort Inn Dubuque approximately 9pm after a white-knuckling trip through the hilly Galena Territory. We found our room (102) to be conveniently down the hall from the check in desk and breakfast area, as well as across from the pool. Modern furnishings and a very clean bathroom were what we found. Two full sized beds, a chair with ottoman, a dresser, mirror, 32" television, and bistro set.

Rachael IMMEDIATELY wanted to get into that pool! With children able to use the pool until 10pm, she opted to head straight in and take full advantage of her time. The pool also is open for adults until midnight.

At 10, we retired to our room. As we had forgone the trip to Walmart straight across the road, we had no food and no cash to use the vending machines down the hall, and Rachael complained wholeheartedly about being hungry. I assured her there would be a full breakfast spread available in the morning, and we closed our eyes while the Disney channel played. I couldn't sleep right away so I did hook up the laptop to the available FREE internet WI-FI access.

The beds were EXTREMELY comfortable, with an abundance of varying degrees of fluffiness pillows, I think each bed had FOUR, There was also a TIMEX alarm clock, however, I didn't need to use it, as my early riser woke me with a kiss at around 6:45. ON VACATION. ugh.

The breakfast spread is open from 6-9am and includes Washington and Granny Smith apples, big oranges, and bananas. Available Quaker Oats oatmeals in the available regular flavors, premade coffees, ice water, and hot water for tea. There is a waffle maker (fun!) bread, english muffins, for toasting. Cream cheese, peanut butter, and jelly for that. A 4 slot toaster. Pastries included mini and regular muffins in banana, walnut, blueberry, and poppyseed. Lemon pastries (whatever they're called). There was 2 different kinds of cereals in huge dispensers, a tray of about 30 hard boiled eggs with salt and pepper shakers right there. There was a crockpot of Bisquits-n-Gravy (yum!) as well as the bisquits for it. I couldn't for the life of me find the stinkin' syrup, and there was no one at the front desk, so while I did make a waffle, I couldn't eat it! I love bisquits'n gravy though so I got that. Rachael, little-miss-starving, just grabbed some apples and an orange with some apple juice. Oh yea, there was also apple and orange juice.

A pretty decent spread! We grabbed a couple extra apples for later, and a couple muffins in case the fruit wasn't enough for her.

After breakfast, it was time for the pool. Again. At 8a.m. LOL. Whatever. It's her spring break, right? She swam for an hour and after swallowing way too much water, decided she was done. Back to the room for a bath and a short rest before exploring Dubuque. Unfortuneately for us, it's a rather gloomy day here.

The plan is to hit up the Walmart across the way (always good for cheap local souvies anywhere you go), then head into town to see about the Fenelon Elevator and shopping area, the River Museum, and then probably head back across the Big River to Galena, where we'll visit Poopsies and that adorable Toy Store on Main Street before heading back home!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family