“Great Marina Views & Ice Cold Good Old Potosi”

The View Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #138 of 230 Restaurants in Dubuque
Reviewed 8 August 2017

We were staying at the Mud Lake RV Park and noticed TVBG next door had a 2nd-story deck that faced the water; so decided to check it out one evening. A band was playing so the deck was busy but our waitress said she'd save us the next table that opened up. We got one of the high tables right along the railing with great views of the marina and river boat traffic. TVBGs menu had a good selection of appetizers, sandwiches, burgers, pizza, wraps, salads, paninis & a kids menu. We'd already pigged out at Breitbach's Balltown Rd Buffet so just had a few brewskis. No beer on tap but they had a decent variety of bottled beers. I tried a Good Old Potosi Golden Ale, (was good enough I tried a 2nd one).

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank OTR_Again_IM

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

Three separate visits over the last two years and all three times received horrible service. I enjoy being outside and lounging next to the river for dinner and drinks, however I will no longer waste my time going to the view instead I will gladly drive further down the highway to Offshore in Bellevue. During my 1st visit I had to ask the wait staff for menus and to wait on us after patiently waiting 10 mins, I received the similar service during my 2nd visit and my 3rd visit was the final nail in the coffin. When we walked in, one of the bartenders greeted us before we sat down, we then proceeded to wait for over 15 mins while numerous waitresses and bartenders standing behind the bar looked over at us and even a few times walking by us before we got up and walked out, only to then have one of the same bartenders meet us by the door with menus and say, sorry I just saw you.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 10 June 2017

First of all - The review that says this is not close to Hawkeye Boat Sales is wrong. The restaurant is on the second floor of the boat dealership. Perhaps the reviewer didn't know that Hawkeye Boat Sales has multiple locations. This restaurant is close to Mud Like, not on Kerper Blvd.

OK - Now for the restaurant. First of all, you can't beat the view. Almost a full 180-degree view of the river. We sat on the deck and watched a couple of barges and multiple boats during our lunch. There was a light breeze, and it was so nice to relax and enjoy the view and the weather.

The beer is always ice-cold - like probably the coldest beer in Dubuque. You can enjoy it inside at a long, friendly bar, or out on the deck - with nice bar-height tables.

We've never had a bad meal here. Our favorites are the pork tacos and the burgers. (They ask how you want your burger cooked, which was a nice surprise.) They also have philly cheesesteaks, other sandwiches and pizza. All are excellent!

We found the servers to be very attentive - they even brought water for our dog without our asking (dogs allowed on the deck). Our waitress today also refilled our drinks before we asked, and made a special point to ask if we were happy with our meal selection.

Sometimes this place gets quite busy, and the waitresses get a little swamped - so at times we've had to wait a little bit. But we've learned to accept that, and to just kick back and enjoy the food and the atmosphere.

One caution: If you come on a Sunday, when they serve breakfast, you'll have to wait a bit if you come in between the breakfast cutoff and the start of lunch. So now we ask the waitress about the wait if we see that breakfast is still being served.

Overall, though - this is one of our favorites for a relaxing meal and beverages.

Date of visit: June 2017
1  Thank kweber770
Reviewed 13 July 2015

Beer is Ice cold, pizza is great. Nice laid back atmosphere! Fun place in the river! Come by boat or car!

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed 25 May 2015

The location is not the same as the Hawkeye Boat sales and is misleading. The restaurant is approximately 20 mins away so check the GPS before heading there.
The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We had a large group of about 30 adults and kids and they moved tables for us. The menu is sandwiches and pizza. I had the Philly and it was great. The bun wasn't soggy as can happen with a cheesesteak sandwich. Everyone said their food was good. The only negative was the personal pizza was smaller than the 7" listed so we had hungry kids and had to order appetizers to fill them up. All the parents agreed we would go back there again if in the area. Staff was very nice and got all the orders correct.

Date of visit: May 2015