“Great location”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
DeKalb, Illinois
“Great location”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I stayed at the Grand Harbor for a business conference at the end of May. The hotel and rooms are nice and in a good location, but is a little worn. The front desk staff was great!
The waterpark was closed while we were there, so I can't comment on that.
One thing that I didn't understand is that the entrance on the bottom floor did not have automatic doors. It was quite a pain trying to open the door with your hands full. Also, a few of the sidewalks had full curbs, instead of being handicapped accessible. It was difficult dragging the luggage over the big curbs.
I am guessing it would be a fun family getaway, but was just okay for a business stay.

Room Tip: The river views were spectacular.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
sgeisz, General Manager at Grand Harbor Resort and Waterpark, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Thank you very much for you kind commnets regarding your stay at the Grand Harbor. I will pass them on to our staff. In regards to the front doors and general property comments I am pleased to inform you that we will begin construction on our new sliding glass front entrance doors next week and we have began our room renovations. Thank you again.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We were extremely disappointed in the water park. A lot of the water features were broke and not working. I climbed up the ropes on the side nearest the concessions and found a hole my child could fit through with concrete flooring at least 15 feet below. There was black nylon rope tied over the hole, but I definitely did not trust it to keep my child safe. On the opposite side, I was climbing the rope structure and when I pushed on the side netting I found an opening big enough for both of my children to fall through. Luckily, that opening was only about 8 feet up, so they probably wouldn't have been injured as badly as the other side. I did not feel like my children were safe. The only way I would let them access the water slides was to go up the stairs and across the walkways. I can't believe such a place can stay open when children are in such obvious danger of falling through the netting and ropes.

The park is in desperate need of repairs. I am unsure how it passes safety inspections. I will not allow my children to return there. Furthermore, the price we paid for our room and water park passes is atrocious for what we experienced. We spent $234 so we could spend an evening worrying about our children falling onto concrete.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank LeeAnnHoo
sgeisz, General Manager at Grand Harbor Resort and Waterpark, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear LeAnnHoo from Cedar Falls,

Thank for your comments regading our water park. Safety and well-being of our guests is our first and foremost concern adn priortiy. We are required to go through a yearly inspection where our entire water park is inspected. On a weekly basis we do internal walkthroughs to identify on-going repairs. The tree house nets have been inspected and repaired as well as areas of concern shut down and awaiting replacement. Other areas of the park are showing signs of surface, water staining and some rust. We are addressing these areas as soon as we are able to. Thank you again.
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Most things here were okay, but nothing was very good. The door to our room was damaged and we had to push/pull pretty hard to open it. Toiletries were cheap and mismatched. Food was blah. Second-floor registration and lack of automatic doors at the entry--both awkward and not very welcoming. We also disliked that there was only one entrance in the middle, and no ability to come and go from the end of the building, where our room was located. Decorative bedspread had visible spots on it. The waterpark is pretty dingy and in need of updates, and the furniture in common areas was well-worn, not very inviting. The staff was friendly and accommodating--but the facility is in need of updating. I thought the price per night was high considering that the hotel just barely met the minimum requirements for being acceptable.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jen K
Bloomington
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I recommend this place to others. It was clean, hotel personnel was helpful and accomodating.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want in a room. Don't just settle.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Muscatine, Iowa
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We have been to the Grand Harbor Resort twice now, each time taking two different grandchildren. They loved the waterpark and game areas and we liked that there was enough fun things to do for the different ages of grandchildren (ages 2-9). Having a good restaurant right there was very convenient. The food was good and kid-friendly. But when we wanted to go out, there are plenty of other good places to eat nearby. We love the River Museum that is within walking distance. And speaking of walking, it is great to be able to walk along the river walkway right outside the hotel door. Dubuque is a beautiful river town and I'm sure we will be visiting again soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family