“Adequate but starting to slip.”

Grand Harbor Resort and Waterpark
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

This was my second stay at Grand Harbour - the previous stay nearly 7 years ago. My wife and I were both slightly disappointed on our recent stay. The room was O.K. but the sheets had several holes in them, didn't fit the bed, and therefore pulled off the corners every time someone turned. The room was't spic-and-span clean. The TV was old and the remote had tape on the back to keep the battery in. The waterpark hours were not mentioned during my making the reservation nor posted on their web site anywhere I noticed, resulting in a disappointed family on our first night when the park didn't open until 4:00 pm. The waterpark itself has peeling paint, some slick spots on the floor, and netting on the walkways that need replaced. Tony Roma's was good for both lunch and breakfast. Adequate but not much more.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank gdpylz

Reviewed 16 April 2012

my husband and I stayed here because we went to a concert at the casino across the street. The whole area was very nice. our room was really spacious and overlooked the Mississippi river. It has a watepark for the kids that I'm sure was fun, and it had a River museum also in the complex. The Casino was fun and clean and we won. Just a couple of small things I did not like about the hotel, registration on the second floor never a good idea, also have automatic doors at the entrance.

Room Tip: I would ask for river view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
sgeisz, General Manager at Grand Harbor Resort and Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Dear "Neasley" from Marion,

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us and we are pleased you enjoyed the Port of Dubuque attractions as well. We also appreciated any feedback from our guests. In response to your concerns during your visit, I am proud to tell you that we have began renovations to the hotel and one item that will be addressed is a new hotel entrance to include sliding glass doors. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Great views of the river. Generic amenities. Not a bad expirrence but very average. The water park must be the focus for most guests.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 7 April 2012

The waterpark was fun for each of us in our family of 6. Slides for all ages, a large swim/play area for toddlers, small lazy river, big climb on water gym with 2 slides, and a tube slide. It was clean, warm, and large enough that it didn't seem too crowded.
The rooms were also nice and clean, microwave, nice view from any room I would think! We could see the river, bridge and beautiful downtown Dubuque from our windows!

Room Tip: We had a room with 2 doubles and a sleep sofa for our 6 family members
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I visited the Grand Harbor Resort and Waterpark in Dubuque with three of my grandkids during their spring break. What a great value! Although we have a similar venue very close to our home, it was well worth the 3 1/2 hour drive to Dubuque to experience Grand Harbor's hospitality. The waterpark is well staffed with lifeguards and has plenty of fun experiences. The kids' club was lots of fun for my three (13, 12 and 10) and the $1 root beer floats every night were delicious. The National Mississippi River Museum is in walking distance from the hotel and admission was included in our very reasonable nightly rate. Fantastic museum with lots of short movies, great exhibits and wonderful personnel. I highly recommend a visit to Grand Harbor and the surrounding area to all. I left a very valuable personal item behind in the room and Robin in Housekeeping was very helpful in getting it returned to me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Mississippi River.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
sgeisz, General Manager at Grand Harbor Resort and Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Dear Sue R from Waukegon,

Thank you very much for your kind remarks regarding your Spring Break stay. I will be sure to pass them along to our team. Our activity staff really take pride in providing an entertaining family experience. We are pleased that you made the 3 1/2 hour drive and we hope you continue in the future. Thank you again.