“Up, up and away on the Fenelon Place Elevator~”

Fenelon Place Elevator Co.
Ranked #3 of 68 things to do in Dubuque
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Also known as the Fourth Street Elevator, this funicular railway has been called "the world's steepest, shortest scenic railway."
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Best $4 bucks we ever spent on vacation--merry little ride up the hill with a few bumps here and there just to get your attention. Waiting at the top was friendly attendant, Kevin, who told us everything we wanted to know about the funicular, its lives and times. He is especially proud of the beautiful old turnstile from the Chicago World's Fair.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 October 2012 via mobile

I've been here a couple times. The first time, I was hesitant because I don't really like heights, but this was really neat and I was only scared at first a little!

The cost to go up and down is very reasonable. Maybe $10-20 round trip per person. Neat story behind it too!

Is also pet friendly, as long as its on a leash and under control.

Reviewed 18 October 2012

My husband and I found this place on a recent getaway to Dubuque. The view from the top was amazing, especially with all of the fall colors. The elevator and ride was really neat. This was a fun, unique, and very cheap thing to do! I would recommend this to anyone who gets the opportunity. It is located near walking distance to some great shops and restaurants as well.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

A great attraction in Dubuque I had family visiting from Fl and they had a great time riding and learning about the history of the elevator. This is a must if you are visiting Dubuque

Reviewed 15 October 2012

We drove up some huge hills to get here. You just wonder how people got to places in the days before cars. The view of the Port of Dubuque and the Mississippi River were spectacular from this vantage point. We decided not to go for a ride as it was really steep and we're not particulary fond of heights. We are glad we got as far as we did for the views and trying to imagine how people lived in the area 100 years ago.