All reviews the concierge lounge rock river lobby bar is higher floor valet parking room was clean nice hotel complimentary shuttle street parking business trip front desk staff per day shuttle service court avenue enjoyed my stay civic center staff was friendly
Reviewed 4 September 2018

Checked into the Marriott about a week ago for a business stay in DesMoines. First time staying at this hotel and was not at all impressed. Although the renovated rooms are very nice, the service totally takes away from the hotel (frankly it sucks). We checked in about 1:30pm and our rooms were not ready so we had lunch in the Rock River Grill (terrible restaurant - see separate review.) The woman at check in offered no smile, no greeting, no nothing - like it was a chore to check us in. After lunch, the rooms were ready. I specifically requested (when I made the reservation) a room away from the ice machine and elevator with access to the concierge floor. As I arrive at my room on the 26th floor, I find that my room is the first room off the elevator AND right next to the ice machine. Really? As soon as I open the door I get on a conference call and immediately hear drilling that sounded like it was right on the wall of my room. Enough! I call the front desk and asked to me moved. The unpleasant young lady on the phone says there are no other rooms available. Really? The lady at check-in told me they were still cleaning rooms! And on a Tuesday at 2:30 in the afternoon! Needless to say, I did not sleep for 3 nights. All I could hear was water running into the ice machine and the elevator dinging. Obviously, the room renovations did nothing for the sound! There is however, one saving grace and shining star at this hotel! Marie E., Concierge/Banquet Server. She spoke to me every morning and asked how my stay was going. She always had a smile and was always friendly. I told her about the awful lunch experience in the Rock River Grill, the unfriendly, uncaring staff and my room exactly where I asked that it NOT be! I used to be a Marriott fan, but I must say that my last few experiences have not been what you would expect from a semi-luxury hotel. Even if the rooms are nice, it's meaningless without the service one would expect. When I got back to my room that evening, I had a personal note from Marie E. and a small bag of yogurt pretzels. Thank you, Marie - you 'get it'!! You are my shining star! Marie indicated that she told the general manager, Mr. Hollen about my concerns, but of course, I never heard anything come out of that. In addition to Marie E, the breakfast in the Concierge Lounge was very good as was the service from Marie's co-worker. Good thing I had access to the Concierge's Lounge! Not at all what I expect from a Marriott. This hotel definitely needs some customer service "renovation"!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
cmroutson, Executive Assistant at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

pmerten3 - We thank you for your honest feedback regarding your recent stay at the Des Moines Marriott Downtown by sharing your feedback with fellow travelers. It is our goal to provide our guests with Marriott's 'Spirit to Serve' and based on your comments we failed to deliver the most important aspect of all and for that we truly apologize. Your experience and interactions with staff shared will be addressed with our front office and restaurant staff to insure all are fully aware of the impact their actions caused. In addition, we do appreciate your comments regarding Marie. Marie was nominated by the hotel and selected as the winner by the Iowa Lodging Association board to receive this annual "Guest Service" Award and for that she is extremely deserving as you witnessed. Again, we regret the disappointing experience encountered and apologize that we did not provide you with the stay you were expecting.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

The sleeping rooms are newly renovated, and they are beautiful. Modern and stylish but not over the top. Lobby lounge is huge, but there is no "coffee shop" on this level. It doesn't affect your stay much, but the entrance is poor - check-in from a dark under-building driveway filled with Marriott buses.

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

The property is undergoing some renovation and room where we stayed was recently smartened up. Higher floors are still undergoing renovation but we didn't hear anything on lower floor where we stayed. Staff at all interactions were friendly and efficient. We would stay again.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
cmroutson, Executive Assistant at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2018

Int_Bus_Travel, we thank you for providing feedback for fellow travelers. We are close to completion of the most extensive renovation to be done since opening in January, 1981. In the past 8 months we have witnessed a true transformation of our Front Entrance, Lobby/Front Desk, Starbucks/Gift Shop and Lobby Lounge/Restaurant and our Concierge Lounge as well. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome your return.

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Booked this hotel for August 17th to go to Iowa State Fair and a concert. Never have I stayed at a Marriott before. I get that it's suppose to be a luxury hotel,Well the only luxury thing about it was the price. We checked in they had several workers standing around never told is where the pool is where the breakfast is send for the next day. This hotel had over 30floors so kinda wanted to know. The worst was it Cost40.00 bucks just to get to the fair and back awful. So for one day including parking at the hotel my cost was over 315.00 for one night. Terrible and service sucked. Never ever again!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
cmroutson, Executive Assistant at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Karen, we appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback with others. We apologize for the failure of our check-in staff to insure that you were given any information that would have insured you enjoyed your stay to the fullest. Karen, we do have an airport shuttle that is complimentary to guests providing transportation within a mile of the hotel at no cost. There is parking available at the fair or in numerous areas surrounding the grounds at minimal cost. The Iowa State Fair along with DART provides shuttle services to and from the fair from a Park and Ride (4 blocks north of the hotel) as well as from the State Capitol (approximately 1-1/2 miles to the east of the hotel) at no cost.

Reviewed 2 August 2018

From the moment you walk into this hotel is sure to please. Convenient location, beautiful decor, friendly staff and comfortable rooms, make this a fantastic choice of hotel if you are staffing in Des Moines.

Room Tip: The staff always gives you their best rooms available
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business