“A Delightful Place to Relax!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
San Diego, California
“A Delightful Place to Relax!”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

After a conference in downtown Des Moines, I checked into the Embassy Suites on the River for some much-needed relaxation. Out the window of my 5th floor suite I could watch the lazy river. Also, there were several spots in front of the hotel to sit by the river’s edge.

The hotel has a marvelous (and warm) indoor swimming pool and is close to shops and the stunning state capitol building. Breakfast (included) was served in a beautiful atrium near a waterfall. Complimentary hors d'oeuvres were served in the evening. It was a delightful place to relax after a busy conference.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river-side have a wonderful view.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank NockieT
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Walden, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel. Great people well above average service. It is clean and neat. Managers reception was above most. Walking distance to Iowa Cubs and many retaurants. I would definetly stay again.

• Stayed April 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I just spent two nights at the Embassy Suites in Des Moines. The hotel is pretty much like any Embassy Suites. However, since it is downtown it does not offer free parking. The suite I stayed in had a free standing shower and water splashed onto the bathroom floor. The mattress was really worned. One night I slept on one side of the mattress and it leaned toward the edge, so the next night I switched sides and found it to also lean toward the edge of the bed.

I have stayed at this Embassy Suite two times and previosuly reviewed the hotel for Tripadvisor. During this stay I found the staffing is very inconsistent. For example, I had called the hotel about six hours before my arrival and asked if I could have a corner suite with a king-size bed. I was told by the front desk staff that they would block the corner suite off for me. However, when I arrived at the hotel, the front desk staff said that all of the corner suites had been taken. In addition, after dropping off my rental car at the airport I called the hotel and was told that I would be picked up in 15 minutes. However, 25 minutes later I called the hotel again and was told that the 15 minutes was an estimate. I was finally picked up 30 minutes after my initial call.

The Embassy Des Moines offers a suite sleeping room with flat screen televisions in the living and bed rooms. They also offer a manager’s reception and a free breakfast. The manager’s reception is not designed to be one’s dinner, even though some certainly try. The manager’s receptions consist of chips and dip, along with some humus. Free alcoholic drinks are also available during the reception.

I ate two nights in the restaurants/bar. Brian the manager and the Doozie-girls are great people. There is usually a special each night. One night I had the bean soup and it was some of the best soup I have ever eaten.

I conducted a conference at the hotel and the food and beverage, and event staff members were really excellent. As usual, I asked for some minor changes to be made to the meeting room and the changes were taken care of immediately. The hotel is located near many excellent restaurants that are within walking distance. So, this works well for conference participants and/or hotel guest. Also, I understand that the shuttle will take guest to local restaurants and bars.

My biggest concern of the Embassy is the lack of staffing at the front desk. The new renovation has created three check-in stations. However, most often only one person is available. It is not unusual to wait 5-10 minutes for someone to assist a guest. Even with two people working at the front desk, the phones are constantly ringing leaving only one person to handle check-ins and to assist guests. During my two days at the hotel it was not unusual to see 5-6 waiting in line to be assisted. It is ashamed that so much money has been spent on the renovation, but staffing seems to be lacking. Also, I would suggest that if staff members promise a guest something that they follow through.

I am not sure if I will hold my conferences at this hotel again. I am a Gold Hilton Honor’s person, but I did not feel that I received any special treatment at the hotel. In the future I may try one of the other full-service hotels in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Davenport, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This is the place to stay in Des Moines. Very clean and well maintained. Best thing is the room service. Food is excellent and served hot. Only negative is that the maid didn't speak english, and she didn't understand I was asking for a plastic laundry bag. No big thing. We were at a mutual disadvantage: She didn't speak english, and I don't speak spanish. ;)

Room Tip: The rooms facing the river have a very nice view from the upper floors.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve S
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is my favorite hotel in the State of Iowa.

I'm a Hilton Gold Member and they treat HHonors members quite well.

For $150 with tax on a weekend, you get free breakfast for up to 4 (save $40) and free alcohol for a couple of hours (save $100+!).

Additionally, the suites are amazing--it's especially nice to have the living area separated from the bedroom--the living space provides a buffer for noise (even though it's not loud).

The staff is quite friendly.

The alcohol caused some to be loud in the middle of the night--but security took care of it moderately promptly and the next day the manager comped a room service fee and parking for our troubles. It was only $20 but that goes a long way, since everything else was perfection!

I'll be patronizing this hotel for as long as I am in Iowa.

Bravo, Embassy Staff--keep it up!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family