“best gyros in town!!!”
Review of Gazali's

Gazali's
Ranked #86 of 638 Restaurants in Des Moines
Description: Gazali's is a quaint, family owned and run, Mediterranean restaurant. We specialize in lamb gyros and chicken Shawarma. We also offer a variety of vegan dishes. The family has been in the food business in the Des Moines area since the 1980s. This location has been in operation for the last 15 years. Our fare is homemade with love! Served from the heart, not the freezer!
Reviewed 9 November 2016

great gyros, great service, nice ambience, employees are extremely generous. the free flavored waters are a nice touch. i will keep coming back for more more more.

1  Thank bglick21

Reviewed 14 September 2016

We were visiting Des Moines from a rural town in Nebraska. We lived in a large city of 5 million people for over 20 years, so the culinary transition has been tough! Anytime we have the opportunity to have some epicurean diversity, we celebrate the occasion!

As others have noted, Gazali's is quite small with very limited seating and a rather small number of menu options, but they are in the process of expanding their space. ATTENTION: the restrooms are in an adjacent building so take note and plan accordingly!

My husband had the chicken gyro. He said the amount of meat was scant and overpowered by the pita wrap there was so little meat, making the meal rather bland. We are used to gyros typically being full, with veggies, sauce, etc. Not this one. It was almost all bread. The woman next to us had a larger quantity of meat on her salad. Now we know...No sides came with his gyro, also something atypical in our experience.

I went with the house-made hummus and grilled pita bread. I asked for the addition of some feta on top and I'm happy I did so. The flavor of the paprika was strong, and the feta cut the POW a bit. While the portion was ample, I found the hummus to be average.

We were disappointed as we had read great reviews of Gazali's and were excited for some delicious fare.

Reviewed 10 May 2016

This is a very nice spot for lunch. It's a very small place but they're in the middle of remodeling and expanding their space. We really enjoyed the Gyro's! The Tzatziki sauce is wonderful.

1  Thank ferretface
Reviewed 2 April 2016 via mobile

So first time here at Gazali's and started with the hummus. It's fresh made here and so many good flavors. Next we had the stuffed grape leaves which we filled with a heavenly mixture. Very well done. Then on to the gyros. One traditional and one spicy chicken. Can't say anything more than I couldn't have asked for anything better! Very well done!

4  Thank Rob D
Reviewed 8 January 2016

First, this restaurant isn't in West Des Moines. Not even close. It's just East of the Drake University campus and if you're local, you know that's not West Des Moines. Located in a small strip mall with street parking (though you could likely park in a nearby campus lot if you can't find street parking), it's a very small space that seats maybe 50, max, though the space is inviting and warm, decorated in a fun, laidback style that suits the campus crowd it serves. You order at the counter, they bring your food to the table and you pay at the counter when you're done eating. It's a mix of fast food and typical restaurant set-up.

Though I know Gazali's has been around for awhile in a few different locations, some people swear by it and the man who both owns it and took our order was really, really nice...the food was just "eh". We tried the hummus with pita bread, which was good but not great (though the pita bread was wonderful) and I had the falafel gyro while the other 3 on our party had lamb gyros. You can request a particular amount of spice, which I found interesting as spice usually doesn't play into Greek food this way. Jalapenos were mentioned which, again, doesn't scream Greek. 2 of our party requested mild and the other 2 never specified. The mild gyros were spicy and the ones that weren't specified were not so if you don't want any spice, just don't say anything. All agreed the pita bread was kinda stale (which was odd given the hummus), the sauce a weird tomato based thing and, at least for me, the falafel was dry and too spicy. Tasted like it was sitting under a warmer for awhile. On the plus side, the meals came with a Greek salad, which was very tasty. Prices were fine, with all entrees under $10 and when you add a drink for $2, you get the Greek salad. In fact, that seemed compulsory as when I tried to just get a drink and pass on the salad I was told I had made my gyro a meal and had to have the salad. Not a big deal, but something to note.

I wanted to like this place but ultimately it fell flat and not just for me but for everyone in my party. Des Moines doesn't have a ton of Greek places and in no way am I being paid to advertise it, but in my experience Olympic Flame is way better than Gazali's so if you're in the mood for Greek, I highly suggest heading there instead. Maybe we caught it on an off day but with better options in town, we won't return.

4  Thank Melindalou7