“Very nice Hotel - convenient to the Iowa State Fair” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #31 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Arkansas USA
“Very nice Hotel - convenient to the Iowa State Fair”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

The location for this trip to the state fair was fabulous. The room was nice and right across the street.. They alternate what they serve for breakfast - the bacon and eggs were good, but the next day, it was sausage gravy that was not good, and biscuits that were. However, they have donuts, bagels, waffles, etc. We did not need the biscuits and gravy with all the other starches. Some cups of fruit and apples were also available, along with plenty of juice, milk and coffee. Easy check in and out. Many good restaurants in the area and shopping not too far away. It was not difficult to find the Hotel or move around in this part of the city. We would definitely stay at this Hotel again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bullrem
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Lobby smelled of smoke. Room was tired. Very roomy, though. We got it for free, so we shouldn't complain, but I probably wouldn't pay to stay. The breakfast had only apples for me as I can't eat wheat. Nice staff. Frig and microwave and sofa in king-bed room. It was quiet that night.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gogirlWisconsin
Heather C, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 15 December 2011
I'm sorry that you didn't have a great experience with us, however we have recently undergone a change in management staff. We are also working diligently to renovate and upgrade our rooms. I hope you come back to view some of the changes. I will also find a broader variety of breakfast items to be certain that all our guest get to enjoy the most important meal of the day.
Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

This is a relative new property that typically has low occupance except for when events are taking place at the Iowa State Fairgrounds which is across the street. The neighborhood is very blue collar but I always feel safe and comfortable. This is my hotel of choice in Des Moines. It is a really nice home away from home. the rooms are clean and well maintained. The desk staff is very friendly.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Vancamper
Coronado, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

Have stayed here before with better results. The location is prime, right outside the fairgrounds.

So here goes...
We checked in and dropped our luggage, went over to the show and then dinner so we were back about 9 PM. First thing, the toilet stops up and right next to the toilet is a plunger (1st clue) and we went to work. We called down to the desk after fifteen or twenty minutes of unsuccessful plunging and were told that he was alone and could not leave the desk. No problem I said, we could just switch rooms to which he replied, "Sorry all sold out!". I asked what we were supposed to do and he replied that we would have to wait until morning!

Next morning, I went down to check out and was told the manager would not be in for another couple of hours. I then checked the computer in the lobby and found my account had 3 charges totaling $580 and change for one $90 night. Needless to say I was very upset and decided to go to breakfast and come back to see the manager.

The manager was sorry for the inconvenience, comped the room and got the pending charges removed temporarily from my account. Unfortunately, while we were on the road two days later two of those charges popped back up on my account. I called the hotel and was told the manager would call back, he did not. I called my bank and they were successful in removing them once and for all.

The erroneous charges came about because my original reservation (made six weeks in advance) was for the week. I had called to amend my original reservation to just one night the weekend before and they did not make the change. So when we arrived the second night of the original reservation we were charged for that and two more single night charges (can't explain these).

Love Iowa and the fairgrounds. The Econo Lodge is convenient for that.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dallas, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

We only stayed 2 nights, but our room was never cleaned, even though we were gone from 8AM - 3:30PM, then told that housekeeping was gone for the day. The girl at the front desk handed us clean towels. The next morning we discovered "something" dried on the foot of the bottom sheet. When we asked to speak to the mgr, we were told that the mgr wasn't even on the schedule and they had no idea when/IF the mgr would be there. They wrote down our complaints, and we asked for a written reply (since we checked out), but we never heard a word from them. I'll never stay in a hotel again without first doing a thorough inspection of the sheets, etc!!! And we'll never stay here again!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
9.7 km away
Quality Inn and Suites
Quality Inn and Suites
#27 of 49 in Des Moines

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK