“Genuine Greek Food and Wine”

Olympic Flame Restaurant
Ranked #54 of 616 Restaurants in Des Moines
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 February 2017

The Olympic Flame Restaurant has been an east-side institution in Des Moines for many years, serving up genuine Greek food and wine. I'm not sure why I had never been there. But that all changed last night, when my wife and I decided to check it out. It's a modest but pleasant place with Greek music playing softly in the background. The menu contains a wide variety of Greek appetizers and entrees. We chose to share an appetizer featuring slices of gyro, grilled pork and chicken, with feta cheese, pita bread and tzatzike sauce. Andrew, our knowledgeable server, gave us a small bowl of chicken/orzo soup to sample. He treated us with a slice of baklava to conclude the meal. We enjoyed a glass of Retsina wine and a soft Greek red wine that were both excellent. Dining at the Olympic Flame was a wonderful experience and a nice change of pace. I highly recommend it!

Reviewed 9 November 2016

Oh how I love this place. The gyros are amazing, as are the many other Greek specialties they make. The flaming cheese is amazing and fun. This place serves food just as good as I have had in Greece itself

Reviewed 13 August 2016

While in Des Moines for work, I came here back to back nights because the food was beyond excellent.

I try to eat a different Greek places when I travel and this is the best in the mid west. The prices were good considering the quality/taste of the food. The staff was great.

Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

First time here and I'll be back. I had the lamb chops and it was delicious. They were a bit fatty and it was definitely finger food but still presented and cooked very well. The salad was lacking, very small. Overall, my experience was very good. This is a great place to take a date…unless you want to solo it on belly dancing night!

Reviewed 11 July 2016

The food was excellent. The people working were very friendly & helpful with suggestions. We came in about 15 minutes before they were supposed to close, but they did not care & welcomed us. Fed us well & gave us a drink on the house!