See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 December 2012

From the moment my family and I step foot on the property until we left we shared much needed quality get away time!
I read some previous posts and I am not sure why people are expecting a fully staffed 5 star hotel when they are renting cabins. If you are expecting this, I would go elsewhere.
We had no problems. The cabin was beautiful, well stocked, and clean. The lake and gazebo were beautiful. It was a lovely location and best of all there were no people around to bother us.
I would definitely recommend Hatfield Lakes to anyone seeking a great relaxing get away!

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Rees101
Mark m, Manager at Hatfield Lakes Iowa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Thank you for staying with us as always! We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

We had the groupon situation that was purchased for a charity event with wine, fishing gear and a two night stay. We booked Big John Cabin and it is a very nice log cabin with excellent furnishings and a nice view of the larger lake. The wooden stump sinks are not only very cool artwork, but quite functional as well. Wildlife is very abundant around the area and geese wake you up in the morning, but we liked the seclusion. The wine never existed and the fishing gear is no where to be found (so bring your own!). We had brought our own fishing gear and bait so no worries there. The gazebo is nice and it was cold this first weekend in October so having the heat in the gazebo was needed. The fishing was excellent and the bluegill and bass are very large and pretty easy to catch. I wonder how long the good fishing will last since if fish are not taken out of the lake, the population usually suffers in the long run. Mark replied to my emails and did call me once, but was in a rush to get off the phone for some reason. I thought that was different. We did read the information booklet in the cabin and learned that they will no longer be accepting anything but 14 day long reservations during the 2013 season. That is disappointing as I think we would have possibly returned for a 2 night stay. However, I don't think there is enough of a variety of activities available for us to stay for 14 days. I guess the weekend getaway market is one they do not wish to serve any longer.

Room Tip: Big John Cabin and Moonlight Marion are on the lake. Geese like to hang out and honk in front of Big John Cabin in the morning before flying over west to the lake with the gazebo.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzy N
Mark m, Owner at Hatfield Lakes Iowa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

So glad you stayed with us. We look forward to seeing you in the future!!

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Mark is unprofessional. Just awful. I had booked a groupon to use and had tried to contact him on several occasions before being able to get ahold of him to make a reservation. I made a reservation in Oct 2011 for a May 2012 stay. A month before our designated stay, we found out we couldn't make the trip so I called and texted to try and reschedule another stay. I had one reply from him and nothing else. I ended up contacting groupon who ended up contacting him to contact me! In the end, nothing happened. I had to contact groupon to let them know it had been a week and no phone call or text from Mark. To sum up: what a terrible way to run a business. I wouldn't recommend doing business with him to absolutely anyone!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah K

We did everything we could to take your reservation. But, we book up sometimes 7 months in advance for weekends. I said numerous times that we had space available during the weekday and would love to have you and your guests stay. However, I will not cancel other guests that made arrangments almost six months in advance. Your refund was issued long ago. We hope this message clears up any other issues.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 18 September 2012

We booked Big Johns and Moonlight Marion (balcony and cabin) for a Saturday night stay mid summer with friends (I tried to write this earlier, but trip advisor wasn't working). We needed a much needed rest and didn't want to drive too far from our central Iowa home. The cabins were beautifully decorated and very cool and comfortable (it was hot this summer). The kitchens were equipped with all the cooking gear, plates, etc we needed to make our big celebration dinner. My 9 year old son caught his first fish on the lake right outside our cabin. Great wildlife viewing too. Mark was a gracious host and made sure our stay was enjoyable. Can't wait to go back! The cozy looking fireplace in Big John's will make it perfect for a fall and winter getaway. Thanks for creating such a beautiful place in the middle of nowhere!
~ From grateful fellow Iowans

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank CHRIS W

We have tried very hard to make an impact with our new construction, and our attention to detail. We will have some new buuildings in the next few years that are sure to be one of a kind "Hatfield Lakes" properties. We do hope you join us again.

Loved having everyone

Reviewed 13 September 2012

Our large family stayed at the Hatfield Lakes for the weekend to celebrate our parents' 50th wedding anniversary. We rented all three cabins so we have the entire property to ourselves.

-- The Scott House Cabin:
Pros - It was nicely appointed and the kitchen was well stocked with plenty of pots, pans, serving trays, etc... We were able to arrange the furniture to allow for seating for the entire group. This worked well for our more formal big family dinner. The rooms were comfortable (with the exception listed below). There was plenty of room for everyone.
Cons - This is a nice cabin but it is not a lake-view cabin. (Which is stated on the web site.) If you're looking for a lake-view, I would suggest choosing one of the other cabins. The internet didn't work but that was ok for us as it limited the amount of iPod time the kids had. The 'queen' bed in the second level is two twins put together. This wouldn't have been an issue except we like to cuddle so that left one of us on the seam between the beds. Perhaps a thicker pad over the two beds would help alleviate that.

-- Big John's Cabin: (I personally didn't stay in this cabin so I'll relay what I can.)
Pros - This cabin was also well appointed and had a stocked kitchen. The open kitchen\dining area\living room is very nice for having conversations with a group of people. I heard comments about how comfortable the beds were and how much they enjoyed the cabin. This cabin is lake-front with a nice grassy area and patio with deck furniture.
Cons - I didn't hear any concerns about this cabin.

-- Moonlight Marion Balcony & Lakefront: (Again, I personally didn't stay in this cabin so I'll relay what I can.)
Pros - Again, these cabins were well appointed. Smaller than the other cabins, these were still very comfortable although we didn't do much family gathering in them. One guest wanted to take the bed home with them because it was more comfortable than the one they have at home. They also commented several times about the lovely view of the lake with the ducks flying over it in the morning.
Cons - I didn't hear any concerns about this cabin.

General Comments:

Although the cabin was very nice, I probably won't rent the Scott House cabin again as I prefer to be near the water. At times, Mark could be a bit difficult to get a hold of, but usually returns text messages\emails fairly quickly. (If you prefer to communicate via phone calls you might experience a bit more difficulty.) However, he was very willing to work with our group who had a few specific requests.

The fishing wasn't very good but in the middle of this drought, the water level was extremely low (as it is state-wide) so that could have very much affected the fishing.

There was plenty of outside seating. Our family enjoying our yard games and sitting by the fire pit. There were also two good-sized shelters that easily held our family.

Overall:

Our family truly enjoyed our time there. We are already discussing when we will return.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank rohelb

Great to see the feedback. We are striving every day to listen to our customers. We love to know what works and what doesn't.

We sure hope you keep us in the running for next years family trip. We have some wonderful new changes that are sure to make a statement.