See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My sister and I got excited when we saw this fishing trip on sale on Groupon. We decided it would be a great birthday gift for our dad. The deal included fishing gear and a bottle of wine for each night we stayed. We decided on two nights. First off my sister called and texted to try to book our rooms more than 10 times in one month. The owner said he was out of the country. Couldn't someone else book us? We booked our date and arrived. To our disappointment our cabin wasn't on the lake and didn't seem as nice as the ones that were. We never received our wine, even after many texts. The owner just stopped communicating after awhile. And never found any fishing gear. Good thing we brought our own. The upstairs was very warm and the tv didn't work in our room. My dad was very happy and that's the only thing that saved this stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank BeccadaBomb
Mark m, Owner at Hatfield Lakes Iowa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

I am happy your father was happy. Bookings are handled via internet only. We receive upwards to 25 a day. As for the wine, we only offer that when we receive a signed letter stating occupants are over the age of 21. We do not sell alchol on the property. It is a gift during some promotional months. However, without the provided info on guests we dont extend that courtesy.

Guests are always free to bring their own adult beverages as they see fit. We want everyone to have a great time.

Respectfully

Mark

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Great fishing and fabulous cabins. Enjoyed our stay and our kids couldn't get enough of the fishing. Would like it if you built a beech. The heat was intense on some days and hope to see you again next summer.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Yolipalmer
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Along with my three closest girlfriends, we chose Hafield Lakes and the Stott House for our annual get-away. Although we were charged higher than the rate advertised ($325/night for four persons-we paid a total of $790.00), we were excited to get away and have a nice, relaxing weekend of food, fun and laughs. Approximately one week before we were to leave, I read IowaRita's review and her complaint about the upstairs air conditioning not working. Since we have had record breaking heat all summer and knowing that a house full of 50+ year old women and heat do not mix, I made a specific point of contacting Mark Hatfield about our concerns that the upstairs bedrooms may be too hot. Mark assured me that the air conditioning had been charged and that there was an independent air conditioning unit that he would try to get fixed before we arrived. He assured me that the upper level would be comfortable for our stay. We arrived at Hatfield Lakes in the early afternoon but went to the wrong cabin at first. Since Mark advised me that the best way to get a hold of him was by test message, I sent him a text and he immediately responded to give us directions to the Stott House. We quickly navigated to the property and entered into a very warm house. Now, the house has been wonderfully remodeled and overall the interior is interesting and fairly clean. The towels are soft, the showers clean, and the kitchen had most everything we needed to cook and eat to our heart's content. But, the upstairs bedrooms and bathroom were an oven. Needless to say, the text messages I sent Mark after than were not responded to and in fact, were completely ignored. It was clear that he had not addressed the issue since June when IowaRita was there and he certainly was not going to address it when we were there either. The only response to any further texts I sent Mark was the day we left after I advised him we had checked out. He immediately and happily thanked us for coming (and obviously giving him $800 bucks to sweat it out for the weekend). While we made the best of our stay that should have been much more enjoyable, it is very clear that the property is not being maintained and is being advertised as something it is not. I will not go on more about the failed air conditioning, but instead will just add the other issues that need to be addressed before anyone else ever spends a dime on this place: (1) don't park in the garage unless you want your car to smell like the bags of garbage filling it; (2) watch where you walk, sit or touch on the "verandahs" since they haven't been cleaned since the Hatfields and McCoys were fighting and they are covered in bird droppings and dirt; (3) don't expect the fan to work in the bathroom or the toilet paper to be on a holder; (4) don't expect the DVD player to work; (5) don't expect internet service; (6); don't expect the oven to be clean; (7) don't expect to see the lake or the equally disappointing gazebo unless you have binoculars; and most important (8) don't expect the management to be professional or truthful. Save your money. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kegerton
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My husband and I, along with our adult children, rented the Stott house for four days. The place is nice but lakeview is a stretch. The air upstairs did not work, of course we were there in 90 degree plus weather, uncomfortable in two out of three bedrooms. It states that it has high speed internet, if you ask them to bring the 4G over that is true (two days into our stay). We went to Creston to the library, it worked great there and the help at the library was awesome. There was no place to dock our boat and there was no boat available to use. There was no map of the property or information in the house so it was definitely find the ponds yourself. If you are looking for a place to sit back and relax in/around the house it would be ok but if you are looking for the equivalent of a Minneasota fishing trip this isn't it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank IowaRita
Reviewed 22 November 2011

My wife and I were looking for a little get away, someplace we had never visited. I stumbled upon the cabins at Hatfield Lake. This was only 1 1/2 hrs from our home, so it made for a quick, but relaxing mini vacation!

We set our GPS for the address given, and were taken right to it. The cabins are located just north of Creston, Iowa, out in the country. We arrived to find an electronic gate. I entered the code we were given and the gates opened, then closed behind us. Made us feel secure at night knowing that just not anyone could drive down and check the place out.

The cabins are located right on the edge of the lake. There are 2 cabins, 1 with a lower and upper level. So, technically 3 different parties could stay here. Each cabin was very well lit up on the outside at night. Even though we were out in the middle of nowhere, we felt safe.

The weather for our stay was rainy and very cloudy and foggy. Not much we could outside. We stayed in Big John's Cabin. From the moment we opened the front door, to the minute of our departure, we were captivated by the elegance of every room!!

Don't bring your laptop because there is no internet service. And, don't plan on watching a game on TV, because there is no dish or cable. But..... bring your favorite DVD movie and you can watch it one of the bedrooms. There is also a very nice sound system that will play am/fm, CD's, or your ipod.

Big John's had 1 bedroom and 1 full bath down, and the same upstairs. The ceilings are the high cathedral ceilings you would expect to find in a cabin such as this! The bath and hand towels, along with the bedding are of the finest quality. There is hand soap, but no shampoo or hairdryer. Bring your own!

There is a complete kitchen including stove with oven, dishwasher, large refrigerator, and all the tableware you would need. The dining table is huge with plenty of room for 6. The great room had beautiful furniture and a stone fireplace. We expected a gas insert, but the artificial was just fine. There is a very nice front porch with oversize wooden rockers and even ceiling fans!

We didn't fish in the lake, but read it was stocked with bass and bluegill. There was also a small aluminum boat, along with fishing reels. We didn't see any life jackets though.There were plenty of wooden chair gliders around a small firepit. Each cabin also a concrete slab with chairs covered by a pergola.One of the patios had a gas grill.

We didn't really explore the other cabin, but they look nice, just not as elegant as ours.

You can't go wrong staying here if you are looking a quiet out of the way place and out of the ordinary experience!! Visit the website at Hatfieldlakes.com

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple