See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 March 2018

On our Way from Tennessee to Rapid City and reserved this spot ahead of time. Construction has goofed up the exit going North on I29 (W on I80). Had to go to the next exit and come back. Just a slight inconvenience.

Staff was polite and friendly. Waited until morning coffee to inform us of the discount at a nearby restaurant.

Snow and Ice in the parking lot was poorly cleared. Needed shoveling near one of the rear doors, which I did. Room floor was water damaged, but clean.

The noise during the night was really irritating. Other guests went in and out of their rooms throughout the night banging their doors. Unlike other motels, the doors opened into a inside hallway. Water from the upstairs rooms came down through pipes in the wall right near my pillow waking me up several times. Needless to say, we didn't get a very good night's sleep at this Motel 6.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, stay on the second floor.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
6Team, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 Omaha East - Council Bluffs, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Dear Guest, Thank you for sharing your review. We strive to provide a comfortable night's rest and are disappointed your stay was unsatisfactory due to the odor concern you describe. Please know that the conditions you describe are atypical to Motel 6 standards for quality and we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Our brand standards for quality rest on the promise to offer the lowest price of any national chain by delivering the essential elements of a comfortable room for a satisfying stay, for this reason, we apologize for the disappointment you describe with the expectations of amenities. We invite you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

TL;DR version: Find a different place to stay.

Just to give some context, when looking for a hotel I am usually just looking for a cheap place to stay, so I am never expecting a lot. Each place usually has one or two things that aren’t ideal, but since you get what you pay for I generally just live with it and it doesn’t really bother me. I’m not one of those people that writes a negative review every time something isn’t perfect, especially when the place cost less than $60/night. However, I felt it necessary to share my experience at this particular Motel 6 location. As a comparison, I stayed the first night of my trip at the Motel 6 in Lincoln for roughly the same price and found it to be a much more pleasant experience.

My brother and I drove from Minneapolis to Omaha so we could watch the solar eclipse from the path of totality. We reserved a room in advance on motel6.com for the Motel 6 in Council Bluffs, IA. During the reservation process, there were no options for smoking vs. non-smoking rooms; in fact, there was no mention of smoking rooms at all, either on the website or the email confirmation. In contrast, the booking we made for the Motel 6 in Lincoln (also through motel6.com) specified whether our reservation was smoking or non. We even made a reservation at a different location, and realized that the confirmation email stated that it was a smoking room, and immediately cancelled that one and continued the search. One would assume that this meant that either you were reserving a non-smoking room or that you would be able to choose when you arrive. This was not the case.

When we arrived at the hotel, it was apparent that the place was, quite frankly, a craphole. However, having experienced and tolerated plenty of crapholes before, I was still optimistic that we’d have a decent room. We waited quite some time for the desk clerk to slowly check in the person ahead of us. She kept answering the phone while checking people in, but seemed overwhelmed and unable to multitask efficiently. Being the weekend of the eclipse, the hotel was certainly understaffed on that day. When it was finally our turn at the desk, the check-in process was slow but went smoothly.

After check-in we proceeded directly to our room. Upon exiting the elevator, we immediately knew this would be an awful experience. The odor and unpleasantness of cigarette smoke was so overwhelming I just about gagged. It was like someone threw an ashtray in my face. The room itself was just as bad. The smell was just dreadful and you could see and feel the disgusting film of tobacco residue on every surface in the room. We immediately switched on the AC unit to high fan and wrestled with the window to get it unstuck and open, but it did virtually nothing to help. Within a half hour of being in the room I had developed a nasty headache. We did attempt to get moved to a different room, but the desk clerk very sharply and rudely snapped that “we’re sold out,” not acknowledging the fact that we had reserved, in advance, what was implied to be a non-smoking room.

We had to get out of the room for awhile, so we went to the nearby Walmart and bought several items to try to neutralize the odor. It worked a little, but the smell was still there and pretty noticeable for the whole stay, probably because it was so deeply embedded in the pillows, mattresses and comforters.

If we could, we would have left the hotel, demanded a refund and stayed somewhere else. Unfortunately, due to the eclipse we could not find vacancy anywhere within a 100 mile radius. So our only options were to accept the situation or to drive the 400 miles back home, miss the eclipse, and forfeit the other activity reservations we had made. We decided to just live with it; we made it through, but a lot of time was spent being miserable.

The next morning I woke up to the sound of one of our neighbors hacking up a lung. My goodness it was a horrible sound. A while later I heard a kid crying, so I wondered if the guy finally got the lung out and died. But alas, the hacking resumed shortly after. My eyes were burning and I felt generally lousy, so we didn’t spend much more time in the hotel. After airing out the room for another day, it wasn’t quite as bad the next night.

This place gets the top award as the worst place I’ve ever stayed. Normally I’d be willing to look past the tiny bathroom, janky window, noisy rattling AC unit, and lack of shampoo (wtf?), and at least give it 3 stars. But all that combined with the rude staff and the fact that we were stuck in a smoking room on an all-smoking floor just made the stay unbearable. I wouldn’t wish this place on anybody.

Room Tip: Make damn sure you get written and verbal confirmation if you want a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
6Team, Brand Expereince TEam Member at Motel 6 Omaha East - Council Bluffs, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Dear Guest, Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable visit and apologize for any failure in following through on that commitment during your recent stay. We strive to provide a clean, comfortable stay and are disappointed your visit was unsatisfactory due to the odor concern you describe. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Nasty. Tom Bodet don't leave that light on for me. They had to give me a different room the first one had stains on the bed cover black ring around bathtub and 2 light switches didn't work. Second room was not much better. Just hope the sheet had been washed

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank laurak5361
6Team, Brand Experience Team at Motel 6 Omaha East - Council Bluffs, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear Laura, Thank you for posting your review. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable room and apologize for any failure in delivering on the commitment during your recent stay. Please know the conditions you experienced are an exception to our guest commitment and as such, we apologize. We invite you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Headed back from Sturgis SD, to FL.
It was late and needed a pet friendly hotel. I've never stayed at motel 6 so dis not know what to anticipate. When booking the room which was pretty late, they failed to inform us that the only room available was a smoking room. I felt like we slept in an ashtray. Given the opportunity I would have booked elsewhere. The blankets had spots all over them and the lighting was poor at best.
Stay somewhere else.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Valerie D

Dear Valerie, Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are committed to delivering a clean, comfortable room and apologize for any failure in following through on that commitment during your recent stay. We do accommodate our smoking guests with assigned smoking rooms and are sorry you experienced dissatisfaction with the concerns you describe. Please accept our apologies that your stay was less than satisfactory. We invite you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2017

OH do I have a story. I've been a customer for this location for yrs. I come up & visit family two/three times a yr since 2009. Never had issue really until this last visit & WONT return this hotel. I came in Thursday evening check in & the evening guy was cool older guy & booked my room close front since they were having issue with side doors. Good customer service. I go back down next morning & booked rest of my stay & to leave Monday morning. I come back Sunday night from long day with seeing the family & my key didn't work. Go front desk & this young guy redoes my key & head my room to find out that its lock & given to someone else. I head back down to the front desk & desk clerk gets off the phone with the customer that was in my room. I ask what is going on my room is taken by someone else. He pulls up & says my check was today. I went & got my receipt I wanted the one the women gave me when I rebooked my room. I come back & it did have it until Sunday which I understood. However when I rebooked my room I said check out Monday morning not today Sunday to the desk clerk. He says & I quote I know that women & you didn't say that. PISSED. Was already little upset about it but with him saying that pissed me off. I knew what I said & the front desk clerk that morning of me rebooking my room didn't hear me correctly & didn't book all the days I ask & he wanted to argue with me about how I was wrong. He stated that they called me many times. I pulled out my phone & show him no miss calls or anything. He says & I quote again well you must of been in a bad reception area. PISSED me off more. I said were you calling me & watching whoever dial my number which was correct one they had. He said well its word from mouth. He wasn't seeing my point of view at all as a customer & wanted to get the last word in each time. After that I tell him things & ill be checking & leaving & wont be coming back again. After looking through my staff he said he could give me a discounted price which I brought up way in the beginning before he telling me I'm wrong on everything. It was late already & said fine book it. 10% was the only discount I got after going through it which isn't even the cherry on top. I paid & he gave me a room a cross the hotel which since they side door didn't work I had walk all the way down there. I get into my room & first thing I see is two bugs one on the wall behind the tv & one going a cross the table were the tv is setting. Since I already booked the room & didn't want to go a cross hotel again & deal with the desk clerk again I kill the two bugs & search through my bed head to toe make sure no more bugs. Had loud people in rooms next door & outside. I got no sleep that night before diving home for 7 hrs drive. I will not being coming back. They lost a customer for life who being going there for yrs & they can thank that desk clerk who knows everything about customer service.

Room Tip: A tip? A tip would be not to book a room at all.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank shanerooney817

Dear Shane, Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We strive to deliver a great guest experience, but it sounds as though we did not perform to our usual standards in this case. We apologize for any inconvenience or misunderstanding that may have occurred during your recent stay with regard to your reservations issues. Our staff aims to provide the highest level of hospitality to our guests through our customer service, but with your experience we have fallen short and would like to apologize for the service issues you experienced. Please know that the conditions you describe are atypical to Motel 6 standards for quality and we apologize for the inconveniences you describe. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations Department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.