“Easy to get to Thai.”
Review of Thai Essence

Thai Essence
Ranked #16 of 143 Restaurants in West Lafayette
Reviewed 17 October 2017

My husband and I visited this past weekend as a "date night" after looking for good Thai food near us. What caught our attention right from the online menu was the ability to order a lot of their dishes vegetarian or vegan. It was also a major plus that it is located off Purdue campus and it is easy to get to from almost anywhere in Lafayette or West Lafayette. (We avoid campus while classes are in session due to minimal parking and general congestion.) We had 3 different servers during our visit which I found odd, lack of communication among staff possibly? But our order was taken promptly and all of our food met our expectations, although maybe a little pricey to be honest. I do recommend the fried tofu as a starter! Even if you're not meat restricted this is a surprisingly savory treat, also very filling! It could easily serve 3. Overall a good experience, and I'm glad to report that when we asked for "veg" options of our dishes the waitstaff was quick to ask if there were any vegan concerns, which there were.

Reviewed 26 August 2017

Had dinner with my friend in this Thai Essence. Food was good, staff very professional and courteous. Portions are reasonable. Nice atmosphere.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

This is one of my go-to restaurants; I've eaten here dozens of times over the years. I agreed to meet my main squeeze here for dinner on a Thursday, imagining it would be relatively uncrowded. I got there first, and was seated at a small table right next to a large 8-person table, where a big group was dining with an active, shrieking toddler. Even though this restaurant has an L-shaped layout, no thought was given as to whether it might be good to seat a couple a bit farther from the kid action. In fact the next group to come in was a loud noisy group too (no baby this time, but still, unpleasant for a couple wanting to have a quiet conversation).

The wait staff took our order and got the food out quickly. Our dishes were pad thai and roasted boned duck Pra Ram, and they were both pretty good. But we had to ask for knives to cut the duck up--it was served in cutlet-shaped hunks that were too big to eat, and we were only given a fork and a spoon. Once we finished eating, it took the staff 10 or 15 minutes to come and inquire whether we were finished; we had to ask for the left over pad thai to be boxed up. We were interested in dessert, and after asking if it was OK to order just a scoop each of ice cream (not an option that was on the menu), we did that. Simple though it was, the waiter forgot about it. When he brought the ice cream to us 20 minutes later, it was quite melted around the edges. He apologized for the delay, but "gee I'm sorry, let me just take the ice cream off your bill" might have been more appropriate.

This dining experience left us feeling like we were getting the wait staff snub: too many details were dealt with clumsily. The experience doesn't make me want to come here again anytime soon, nor will I recommend it as a place to take job candidates during this fall's recruiting season.

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Food was very good and plentiful. Wait staff very professional and courteous. The decor was very pleasing. Had seared scallops Gra-Tiam. Excellent.

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Had dinner here with my son when the other place we planned to go was closed for dinner. Nice surprise! We didn't have anything fancy (fried rice, pad see ew) but the food was nicely prepared and very tasty. I would definitely go back for more!