Hilton Garden Inn South Bend
Econo Lodge(South Bend)
Morris Inn(South Bend)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsnotre dametoll roadmary's collegeexcellent hotelroom was cleana great staywould highly recommend this hotelbusiness centerwould stay here againstaff was very friendlycookiesfootball gamechadbistrohgibendlobby
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 November 2011

This was my second stay at this property. In fact, I wrote a review sharing my extreme delight with our stay just a few months ago.

However, because of our stay this past weekend, I feel the need to share our experience. We decided at the last minute to drive to South Bend to get in to town the night before an early event on Sunday. We arrived at 9:30 pm and went up to our room…we walked in and immediately heard thumping music…looked out the window and the party center was directly below our room…uh oh…a Halloween Party. We went back down to the front desk to request a room on the other side of the building…we were given the key to another room to look at and it ended up being in the same spot, just 2 floors closer to the loudness…So, we kept the room we had as we were told there were no other options. We were assured that the party would end at a reasonable time and we took them at their word.

Well, I don’t want to be a party pooper, so I listened to thumping music until 2:00 am. At that point, I had had enough. I went down to the desk to ask when the noise would end. I was told by the desk person that she would make a phone call and take care of it…she also offered to cut our rate in half to $200. Great, I was paying “only” $200 to get 3 hours of sleep…not happy. The very loud noise continued until 3:08 am…yes, I remember the exact time.

The hotel is a great property in a great location to visit the University…see my prior review. But, be sure that you don’t get a room on the same side as the party center if you want to get any sleep…I believe that the even- numbered rooms are on the quiet side. Also, I was surprised that a party was allowed to be so loud so late into the night…very disappointing. There was a ND football game that weekend, but those guests were not loud at all...it was simply due to the party that went on until 3:08 am.

Room Tip: Get an even numbered room to avoid the noise from the party center.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank fortwaynemom
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Very poor service. How often do you have to beg for another glass of wine or a water refill? They weren't even that busy. There was a large party there and it seemed to take all of their time just to help them. After a long day on the road and not to be able to relax was disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Francesjr
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Had the Butternutsquash soup and it was outstanding! Also the Sante Fe Ceasar Salad was wonderful. I thought it pricey at first but well worth it.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank WendiT
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Although our stay occurred some time ago, this place did create an impression with us. Thanks to this Garden Inn and a few other high end facilities the bar is set rather high for my family to include pillow top mattresses, high thread count sheets, and modern decor. I wish we could comment on the other areas of the facility but a brief overnight stay when passing through town didn't afford us the time to explore. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank bch7
HGISouthBend, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn South Bend, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Dear BCH7,
Thank you so much for your recent comments! We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed the facility! We sure hope you can visit us again and spend some more time with us! We also have an excellant restaurant (Bistro 933) located right in the lobby of the hotel! Hope to see you soon!
Brooke Gallagher

Reviewed 9 September 2011

We were in town for the USF-Notre Dame game. The hotel was very nice and clean. The rooms had a fridge and microwave, which was also nice. The bed was a little firm. It was an adjustable bed, that I do not think adjusts anymore. The hotel had a gym, which I used once. It was basic, but worked well. The hotel has an indoor pool and hot tub. There is also a bar, with a bunch of tv's. There is a restaurant, which has a great breakfast buffet for only $9. For dinner, they had a special each night. The location was great, we were a solid, but nice, walk to the Notre Dame campus. There is a paved and lighted walkway between St Marys and the ND campus, which was used a great deal by many over the weekend. No charge for parking. A few kudos to some people who provided great service...Cat at the front desk was awesome. She was very helpful each time we had a question. She made a point to say hi every time we came back to the hotel. Christina at the front desk was also great. In the restaurant, Dawn and Casey did a great job for us. We actually only have great things to say about this hotel and the people that work there. It is well worth staying here.

Room Tip: All rooms were the same
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends