“Terrible Hotel.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in South Bend
Petersburg, Michigan
“Terrible Hotel.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

1st of all, I would like to say this hotel is smelly!!!! From the minute you walk in you can smell dirty pool water and mold. I called for an early check in and the girl assured me, it was all good. They gave us a room on the 2nd floor. When we opened the door, the room had not been cleaned from the previous occupants. We then got moved to the 1st floor by the pool area. The smell of the pool and hot tub was horrible. Our new room had no towels. When I went to ask for more, they said, "they are in the washer, come back in an hour". Unacceptable!!!!. They did end up giving us bath mats to dry off with. There was a layer of green mold in the bottom of the hot tub and the pool water was disgusting. The hotel was so noisy, that we got very little sleep. I was overcharged on my bill and it is yet to be corrected..... I would never ever stay here again!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank krisjkit
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Stayed there to attend a family funeral and the guest service was great. Rooms were nice and had a home sweet home feeling.
Free coffee, free laundry, and great guest services.
Just a great place in all.
The staff worked with our family and gave us a great reasonable rate we could all afford.
I would definately reccomend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Maybe it was bad luck on my part, 3 rooms, 3 issues.
First room smelled of mold. Moved me next door, same smell.
Moved me down stairs, heat did not work well.. never got above 67 degrees.
That being said. I will find another hotel to stay in while in Southbend

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Rob-stroup

Travellers are raving about these South Bend hotels

Northeast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

This hotel must have a lot of smoking rooms. The third floor hallway was so smokey, I felt as though I was choking. Our room said "nonsmoking" on the room number outside the door, but there was an ash tray in the room and the room smelled as though a smokers' convention had just been held in it. They brought in an "ionizer" to clean the air which required us to leave for an hour (at 10:00 p.m. with two young children). It didn't help the smell. I woke up with laryngitis. We asked to be moved in the morning and they gave us keys at 8:00 a.m. for a room on the first floor. (Why couldn't they have given us this room the night before -- it was obviously available??)

The back of the throw pillow on the bed had a big smear of dried mucus. They should not use decorative pillows in hotel rooms, since they don't change them out between guests.

Breakfast is not included, which makes them compare unfavorably with similar properties.

But the biggest change that this hotel needs is to go all non-smoking.

The neighborhood is a little sketchy. There always seemed to be people crossing Lincolnway late at night -- not in crosswalks. Very close to the airport, but it's much better to stay closer to the university.

Room Tip: If you are unlucky enough to win a room here via Priceline, call ahead to the hotel directly and tel...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ken H, Manager at Candlewood Suites South Bend Airport, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
I'm sorry to hear about your experience during your stay with us. Our 3rd floor is our designated smoking floor however there are non smoking rooms on that floor as well. I agree with you completely, we should consider going 100% non smoking. As a non smoker, I completely understand where your coming from! I would like to offer you my sincerest apology and I thank you for taking your time to write a review.

Ken Herman
Candlewood Suites - South Bend Airport
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

My boyfriend and I flew to south bend for the first time to see a ND game. I had requested a nonsmoking room because my boyfriend has bad asthma. We got there and the room was nice, but it smelled like someone just got done smoking in there! We asked to be moved to another room that didn't smell like smoke. They moved us but we no longer had the king size bed we requested and the room still smelled like smoke. And on top of that there was dog hair EVERY WHERE on the top comforter. I also was woken up by a very loud train going by ea night we stayed. I realized there isn't too many hotel choices in south bend but those are things I shouldn't have to even worry about.
Also they do not have a shuttle that can take you to the airport. Any hotel I've stayed at near an airport has hotel shuttles that can take you to the airport and just because it's game weekend the taxis all over charge you. You have to pay $15 per a person to ride to any place you want,
Just to get to the hotel from the airport, theb picked up again to go to ND campus we were charged sixty dollars!! (the hotel is like a mile away from the airport!)
I was better off renting a car for the amount we spent on taxis

• Stayed October 2011