“Over Rated”

Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 16
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: When the newly built Blue Gate Restaurant & Bakery opened it doors on August 4th, 2001 in Shipshewana, the entire town was invited over for dinner. As one of Indiana's largest restaurants, the Blue Gate comfortably seats 600 (more than the town's population). Built to reflect the surrounding community, the Blue Gate resembles a rambling white farmhouse, similar to those that dot the surrounding Amish coutnryside.An award winning restaurant serving a world famous Family-style meal that features pressure fried chicken and 3 other meats, real mashed potatoes, Amish noodles, plus lots of other sides and 25 varieties of pies to choose from
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Ate dinner at Blue Gate and would not return. My grandson order chicken tenders and they were over cooked. Barely edible. The beef and noodles and chicken and noodles with mashed potatoes had very little flavor. Should have driven a little further to the Essenhaus for dinner.

2  Thank Sedwyck

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

The food was beyond amazing and dessert was awesome...bakery was great bought tons of yummys to take home..

Reviewed 2 April 2018

My wife and I went to this restaurant, due to advertisement of their seafood buffet (in town for the weekend). We found that if you ate at the buffet, you could not order from the menu. My wife is not a seafood person. We had a fifteen minutes wait, which was not a problem. The salad bar was very good, along with many options. The main buffet was typical of mid range buffets, the crab legs, fried chicken, and seafood salad were very good. The fried shrimp was nasty. i'm not sure what happened, but the crust was extremely hard. I tried again after they brought out fresh food, the results were the same. The chicken at the stir fried station was rubbery. The vegetables were good. There was a large selection of food to pick from, but since I came for the seafood,I concentrated on those items. Service was very friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Family had the sampler and shepherds pie. Everything was excellent. Dessert was even better. Tough to choose from the extensive selection, and went with the carrot cake

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

My wife and I eat here probably two times a year. Always great service and food!! We usually share/split the sampler. Desserts are delicious too. There is always a lot of things to do in Shipshewana, Indiana to make the visit even better. I should add that there is two restaurants at the same place we have only eaten from the menu restaurant. I think they call the one in the basement buffet style but I can’t remember for sure.