“Yummy Fried Chicken and Desserts”

Blue Gate Restaurant and Bakery
Ranked #2 of 27 Restaurants in Shipshewana
Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 16
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Description: When the newly built Blue Gate Restaurant & Bakery opened it doors on August 4th, 2001 in Shipshewana, the entire town was invited over for dinner. As one of Indiana's largest restaurants, the Blue Gate comfortably seats 600 (more than the town's population). Built to reflect the surrounding community, the Blue Gate resembles a rambling white farmhouse, similar to those that dot the surrounding Amish coutnryside.An award winning restaurant serving a world famous Family-style meal that features pressure fried chicken and 3 other meats, real mashed potatoes, Amish noodles, plus lots of other sides and 25 varieties of pies to choose from
Reviewed 26 September 2016

I have eaten here several times. The fried chicken is excellent. The desserts are excellent. I always get pecan pie, but lately have decided to switch it up... Sugar Cream is good. Carrot Cake is good. Seasonal Pumpkin is good.

Reviewed 26 September 2016

Once again, hubby and I had dinner at the Blue Gate Restaurant, hoping that our last experiences with the dining here were flukes and that this time it would be better. It was not. Service is very good, prices were high end, put the food was only average. We consider ourselves good judges of food as were have been foodies for our entire married life (46 years!) and have traveled extensively and eaten at some wonderful places around the world. Folks, this is not great dining. On this visit, hubs and I both had the Fried Chicken dinners with dressing and green beans. The chicken was crisp and very good as was the green beans. The dressing had the blah tastelessness of what I would imagine dishwater would taste like. Bread, peanut butter spread and apple butter come with every meal and is great. As I said before, the prices are high for the quality of food. This meal is not even in the same league as Das Essenhaus. We won't be giving the Blue Gate any more chances and will spend our dining dollars elsewhere when traveling to Shipshewana-Middlebury.

Reviewed 25 September 2016

If you're looking for good comfort food you won't go wrong at the Blue Gate.
My wife, mother-in-law and I ate at this place and were completely satisfied.
They offer Buffet, Family Style, or Menu Dining.
We chose the Buffet and were glad we did. The food tasted farm fresh and was plentiful. Excellent fried chicken, real mashed potatoes and tasty green beans.
In fact, I ate so much I was uncomfortable for a while after. I had to sit in a nearby rocker to let my food digest.
The area seems to be the most authentic Amish of the towns that make up this section of Indiana.

Reviewed 24 September 2016

We had two tables, one for 11 people and one for 14 people. One table ordered from the menu, the other asked for the family-style meals. Both raved about the quality and amount of food and the wonderful service.

Reviewed 23 September 2016 via mobile

My favorite Amish restaurant in Shipshewana. Friendly and pretty.
Good is good. Buffet or menu. Family friendly prices and atmosphere.