“If not for the server and the soup it would've been a 1”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Yamato Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi
Ranked #48 of 106 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Reviewed 3 December 2016 via mobile

Quick and to the point:

The server was good: friendly, accommodating, checked on us regularly, and supplied what we requested.

Why a 2? My vegetarian husband and I ordered vegetable hibachi, his with tofu. They charged us an additional $2 for tofu, and held back in the vegetables. Let's talk about the vegetables. In a handful of onions, I had two slices of carrot, some broccoli, mushroom and zucchini. Emphasis on the onions. So my husband paid $13 for a bowl of rice, shredded lettuce (salad), tofu, and onion encumbered stir fry. The soup however was delicious.

Let's talk about the other reason for the 2. Up on a tv, and posted in the lobby area, were photos of I'm assuming a birthday tradition. The tradition involves wearing a stereotypical Asian mask. Could you imagine going to a hamburger joint in, I don't know, Africa, where, to celebrate a birthday, you wear the mask of a white cowboy? Classy Yamato.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 November 2016 via mobile

First time try this restaurant and we really liked the food, location, and the staff. You need to try if you have never been to a Japanese restaurant.

Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

We have been to Yamato numerous times since it opened and the food is always really good.
The last time we went there the restaurant was starting to get dirty. Not to the point of being afraid to eat there it just needs a good thorough cleaning. Not what you would expect with their prices.

Reviewed 16 May 2016

So unremarkable that I can't remember what I ordered!

Restaurant is located in a shopping center, in a decent area. We expected more.

Reviewed 23 December 2015

It was almost a year ago for our last visit. Here are the particulars of our visit on December 20, 2015
I had the Hibachi Chicken which was good but not to the point of being great. There was more than enough food which included the soup and salad. Again the salad dressing is one size fits all. It is a kind of honey mustard flavor which isn't bad at all.
One person had the Hibachi salmon which was okay but not nearly the best in the world. I would rate it as average.
The other had the Bento box which was good.
We try different things and maybe the chicken isn't the best thing on the menu but it is good.
The service was very good, we didn't have a wait and the place was less than half full.
The prices are average for the most part.
I would go back again but maybe not wait another year. I recommend it in Richmond.