“Round Two on the Penitentiary Course”

Fall Creek Golf Club
Ranked #3 of 4 things to do in Pendleton
Reviewed 11 September 2015

Our group had been here over a year ago. Had fun the first time, as we love golf and each other's company. However, I (for one) left many good shots in the bag the first time. I wanted a chance to improve on last year's round. The course was in good shape. They have an 18-hole layout, featuring mature trees and generous fairways, located in a peaceful setting. The course has some interesting rolling hills, small greens and is location next to the Pendleton Reformatory. I like the up and down hill challenge of some of the holes. The greens are challenging but generally fair. I do think the par five sixth green offers a special challenge dependent on pin placement and your approach shot. Regardless the low 90s sunny day, the golf was great fun when we played. Think we need to play this course again down the road. Cowboys Bar and Grill, right at the course, is just a couple dozen yards from the club house and has a couple nice bars and a full food menu.

Date of experience: September 2015

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Definitely a course that you do not accidentally find. This is a bit hidden in the country but worth the hunt. If you have a challenge finding the course, look for the State Penitentiary which runs along side part of the back nine. Quite the unusual experience golfing so close to some of the nations major felons. Back to golf, the course has an interesting layout. All holes were fun. This is also the first time that I played a course wherein a couple holes required hitting over trees that completely spanned the fairway. I am not talking cutting a dogleg. A couple par 3s, most notably Hole 2, require a shot over trees to reach the green. Of course, a line drive under the trees can be attempted, but this is not how the holes are designed to be played. Not a terribly long course and no water hazards. Another course that I just had the pleasure to play and look forward to returning.

Date of experience: June 2014