Cambridge Lodge Guest House
The Urban Newtown(Newtown)(Great Value!)
US$ 84
US$ 140
US$ 100
  • Fitness centre
US$ 68
All reviewsfree breakfasttrain stationenmore theatreenjoyed my stayquiet locationtea coffeerooms are cleanminute walkevery morningshort staystanhopenewtonhostelsinkbackpackersigafridge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 February 2017

The atmosphere is very sterile and institutional - grey floors, grey counters, grey cabinets, white walls. It seems to cater more to long-term work visa guests, but everyone I met while staying there was very friendly and chill, not much drama. There was some partying but they'd usually leave the hostel for the bars so it was never very noisy. The staff is also very friendly and helpful. Wifi is so slow as to be unusable. There's no air conditioning, the beds are cheap IKEA bunks, and there are only shared power strips for charging devices.

I was in a ground-floor room, and the windows didn't have any bars or screens. Because there was no AC the windows were open constantly, and 1) mosquitos would come in and 2) anybody could literally climb in through the window from the street at any time if they wanted. They have small lockers big enough for a laptop, but it seemed like there weren't enough lockers for every guest.

Beds and bathrooms were clean and showers/hot water worked well. The kitchen was well-equipped but would get crowded during breakfast and dinner. The hostel is located in a quiet residential neighborhood. It's a 5 minute walk to a supermarket, coffee shop, and the train station, and a 10 minute walk to downtown Stanmore and Newtown which have a lot of very cool bars, shops, and restaurants.

I really liked the location of this hostel, it felt more like actual, everyday Sydney rather than the areas around the CBD that are filled with backpackers and tourists. Newtown and Stanmore are extremely cool neighborhoods, and it was nice to be on a fairly quiet street at night.

Room Tip: If you're worried about security then get a second-floor room.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank kgrote
CambridgeLodgeSydney, Manager at Cambridge Lodge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2017

Dear kgrote,
Thank you so much for your feedback!
We are so glad that you enjoyed yourself and look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

Wasn't worth a single penny! If your thinking of staying here in summer DONT ! theres no air con whatsoever, just a crappy fan blowing warm air around your room. I hardly slept after a long day of driving in the early hrs and then walking around sydney for the day. Its just not what you want to come back to. There also isn't parking at the place its just on street parking in very busy small streets.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah L
CambridgeLodgeSydney, Manager at Cambridge Lodge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2017

Dear Sarah

Thank you for your review we are not advertising air con plus on the Hostelworld profile says we provide free public parking on the street. *(Cambridge street and Merchant street are without limit of parking) I am not sure what you are talking about always free spots for parking around!! However you stayed at the 6 bed dorm mix you arrived at 10am 1. I checked you in before 2pm!! 2. I did let you take even shower!! 3. I kept your stuff at language room!!
Thank you for full review you just got what you paid plus few benefits extra for FREE!!

Reviewed 4 December 2016 via mobile

Hi all - just thought you should know the reason you can't book for 4 days over Christmas (not sure about other times). I couldn't get a booking but was keen after all these positive reviews so I rang them directly just to see whether I could get even a few of the days I needed. I figured they were booked out for the others. However, the answer was that there's a 9 night minimum booking. Perhaps that's here somewhere in the information or in some of the reviews, but I didn't see it and I wanted to save others some time. Pity - it looks great and just what we needed. Roz

Stayed: December 2016
4  Thank RozElk
CambridgeLodgeSydney, Manager at Cambridge Lodge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2017

Dear RozElk

Thank you for review, our website is pretty clear with policies during Christmas period. I am sorry to hear it you could not find Christmas period policies. The Christmas and NYE in Sydney that's the busiest time of year in Sydney however every single business with similar service in Sydney had min stay.

Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

Free breakfast is always a plus. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating. I ended up forgetting my travel pillow after checking our of the room. When I returned to retrieve it, one of the staff members found it for me and even had it quickly washed for me before I left for the airport.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
CambridgeLodgeSydney, Manager at Cambridge Lodge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2016

Dear Julia ,

Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

Had a 3 night stay at the hostel. Staff were friendly and welcoming. Facilities are good with a breakfast every morning. Rooms and bathrooms are clean. Wifi is ok not brilliant.

Hostel is a short walk to Stanmore station and it's 9min to the city from there. Newtown is at the other end at of the road which has loads of restaurants (we were told they are cheaper than the city).

Great place to stay.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David M
CambridgeLodgeSydney, Manager at Cambridge Lodge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2016

Dear David M,