Abe Martin Lodge
US$ 156
Residence Inn
US$ 150
Cornerstone Inn(Nashville)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsfamily cabinwater parkaquatic centerlazy riverindoor waterparkpatio roomstate parkfree coffeehiking trailswater volleyballbrown countypool areadinner buffetwood stovelarge hot tubroom keyfried chicken
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 August 2008

We stayed in the rustic cabins for 4 days. It was 3 of my children and I. We wanted to stay in the park without truly camping. I have stayed in the lodge numerous times and so far this was the best time. The cabin by all means of the word is rustic. A shower stall, 2 double beds, a tv that could only get one channel, and NO telephone. To me this was perfect. I was looking to get away from everyday life not sit in front of the tv. My kids thought it was the funniest thing they had ever seen, as one tv channel, it became the joke.

They have recently opened a waterpark for guests only. It does not have a pool where you can do laps and swim, but it does offer alot. It has a really nice slide that kids just loved, volleyball and basketball nets, a zero-entry play area, a very slow lazy river, and a nice hot tub with a waterfall. It's not massive but it is perfect in a more intimate way. The two neatest things I saw was there was always fresh towels (they NEVER ran out) and the life guards when not on duty were always cleaning and making sure there was fresh towel on every chair next to the pool (made it feel really resort like)

Our housekeepers were perfectly accomodating in making sure we had everything we needed. I told them they did not need to make the beds just make sure that we had fresh towels everyday.

This lodge (which also has rooms with every convenience in the main lodge) is inside the Brown County State Park. You will have to pay a fee to get into the park. Once you are checked in, you can come and go as you please from the park without an additional charge during your stay. You only have to show your room key.

I was looking for quiet and that's what I got. This a perfect place to go to get back to nature since the park offers so much, but close enough to Nashville, IN (artist colony) to enjoy some basic shopping. Just beware the restaurants are realy pricey including at the lodge.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank slbeall
Reviewed 12 August 2008

The new 'aquatic center' is SMALL. What a joke!!!!
Hotel management is selling this as a major attraction and as a big pool, but DON'T BE FOOLED!!!!!

The pool is new, but it is small, and easily crowded. It is POORLY designed, with no place to really swim. You can tell that a pool designer sold the hotel hook, line and sinker for this poorly designed, small, expensive pool. I cannot imagine what Indiana taxpayers paid for such a rip-off.

Hotel management says this "is a new 12,000 square foot facility". What they mean is that the building housing this tiny pool is 12,000 SF, with lots and lots of wasted space.

Problems with this pool:
1. No real place to swim.
2. The pool makes poor use of space.
3. The pool is shallow...95% of the pool is only 3 feet, 6 inches.
4. Like getting splashed by others? You will love this pool!
5. The water is FREEZING COLD!!!!
6. The air temp in the pool room is soooo HOT that you could hatch baby chicks!!!!
7. It is LOUD in this pool!!!!!!!! Mind numbingly LOUD!!!!
8. Like arrogant college aged life guards? You will feel at home with this bunch of whistle blowing, bossy, bossy kids that don't mind showing that they would rather be somewhere else.

This pool does not warrant the over priced rates of $105 a night.

I am not sure it is worth the $89 a night with off season rate.

The rooms are very dated, and worn. Not a total dump, but please dont expect a whole lot when you arrive.

The TV in our room was microscopic by today's standards. I am not sure the TV in our room was bigger than a 13".

Mattresses are hard as a rock.

Bathrooms are small.

Hotel management is selling the public "a bill of goods" based on the new pool.

Want to overpay for a sub-standard room with the over-promise of a 'fancy' pool? Abe Martin lodge is just the place for you.

You get the feeling, if you are aware, that hotel management is trying to get as much money as possible, while giving as little as possible to the consumer.

Management is not putting money back into the Lodge, and it shows in the facility, employee attitudes, etc.

Again, DON'T BE FOOLED!!!!!!

Target stores advertising: Expect More. Pay Less.
Abe Martin management: Expect Less. Pay More.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank clovis97
Reviewed 3 August 2008

We stayed at the Abe Martin Lodge twice in July 2008. Our main reason for going was to try out the new indoor waterpark. The indoor waterpark is not as big as you might imagine but was the perfect size for us. It has a wonderful water slide, a small lazy river, an area for volleyball and basketball and also a nice hot tub. It has a shower outside by the hot tub but the water does not get warm at all. The staff seems to still be learning their jobs at the waterpark. But it was fun. And that was why we returned again.
Our first room was 116. When we went in the room my daughter saw a wasp. We went to the front desk and they had maintenance come and he swatted the wasp. We went to the gift shop and came back later and noticed several more wasps. So we went to the front desk and they took the room out of service and gave us room 107. Room 107 has a big patio window and the window is newer with less likelihood of pests getting in it. And we did not see any more bugs in this room. The rooms are in big need of updating. The furniture, carpet,, etc, are old and showing wear. The bathroom is very tiny and in big need of updating with very little space at all to put anything. I believe the bathrooms in the annex may be a little bigger since it is newer. We did have a lovely view from this room of the courtyard. I would suggest you ask for one of these rooms instead of a room facing the outside of the building. The annex is now attached by a walkway that goes around the new pool. You used to have to go outside to get from the annex to the main lodge. So that is a nice improvement.
The staff at the front desk, especially one man, were very nice and helpful. I did however have a problem. I left a pair of shoes here on the first visit. On the second visit I asked about them and they had not been reported. I asked the maid when I saw her and she said she did remember my shoes and that she had turned them in. But somehow no one seemed to know anything about them and I never did get them back. That seemed a bit odd to me.
The food is not that great in the lodge on the buffet. Go to town and eat. They usually only have the buffet and just a few items on the menu. Not once did we get the full menu for dinner. But the food off the menu was good. The buffet is expensive, but you can just get soup and salad. Dessert is not much at all on the buffet, unlike Spring Mill State Park. Spring Mill has fantastic foods on their buffet with lots and lots of good pies, cakes, etc for dessert.
The town of Nashville is a great place to eat and to shop. During the week, the Artist's Colony downtown has a wonderful early bird special.
The park itself is beautiful. It is the closest you will get to anything like mountains in Indiana.
I think the lodge has great potential. I do have to question why they spent all this money on the waterpark when the rooms are in such need of renovations.
The little housekeeping cabins near the lodge are very inexpensive, but I noticed the windows aren't great on these at all and I would not be surprised at all if they had problems with bugs, wasps, etc...maybe even mice. I even noticed one screen popping out that had not been repaired.
Yes I would stay here again. But they do need to work on some of these problems. Most of the staff is wonderful. And the area is so beautiful and the park itself a slice of heaven.
The Comfort Inn in town offers beautiful spacious rooms with huge bathrooms and is just a short drive to town. If going to Nashville just to visit the town, I would suggest the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank IndianaKris
Reviewed 11 July 2008

We stayed 2 nights in a patio room which cost $116 per night with tax. The room was cozy with a king size bed (that was comfortable), rustic furniture, a small refrigerator and a decent tv set (although channels are limited). The bathroom was a let down as it was quite small with only a tiny shelf above the sink that could barely handle my curling iron with any other item. We had two comfortable adirondack chairs in front of our room on the patio (which you share with 6 other patio rooms). The lodge has a brand new water park indoors which looked very appealing for those with kids - the patio rooms face the outside windows of this new addition. The internet connectivity was non-existant in our patio room and we had to go to the main lounge which was right beside the router in order to connect. This was another let down, but at least we were able to get online. We mentioned this to the front desk, and they did not seem surprised and told us to use the lounge. We noticed many other people carrying their laptops to this area to and we can only assume that they too could not connect from their respective rooms. Good free coffee is available 24/7 and we were told free hot chocolate is available at the front desk if you ask. The front desk staff were pleasant.

Now the absolute biggest complaint I have is the food - it was abysmal. We only had the buffet on the first night of our visit, and that was enough for us to judge just how poor the restaurant here was. I see that other reviewers had this horrible fare too and wish I'd paid more attention to them as they were spot on. In fact, the only meats on the buffet on a Wednesday night were fried chicken, pork ribs, and something that looked like some kind of chicken with a pasta of some sort. The fried chicken was cold, the ribs were too tough to cut let alone chew, and the indistinguishable chicken and pasta was a tasteless affair that would have been better left in the kitchen. The potato soup tasted like milk and flour and lacked any other flavor. The desserts were non-existant except for what appeared to be hot peaches in a crust at the end of the buffet where the meats were. I did have a decent salad that I constructed with the typical salad bar items which did appear fresh and were good. We did complain to our waitress who did bring some "fresh made" fried chicken, but the pieces she brought were only luke warm and we mentioned that to her - she said she'd let the kitchen know. On the way out we asked to talk to a kitchen manager in order to let them know just how poor the food was and she appeared to feel bad and said she'd talk to the kitchen too. She removed one of the $14 buffets from our bill, which really did not compensate for our indigestion and hunger which followed but was appreciated none the less. Anyway, there is a subway sandwich shop not far and they made us a good sub later.

The Brown County State Park is huge and there is a lot to do if you are looking for outdoorsy fun. The trails looked nice and well laid out and the nature center was interesting too.

Since we had plans to really explore Nashville and enjoy the tourist town, we probably should have booked something in the town (2 miles away).

Nashville is a quaint tourist town and we'll probably visit again although next visit, we'd probably stay at a local hotel that has internet and is close enough to walk to the assortment of restaurants in the area.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2008

This resort is the perfect example of letting state employees run a business. The hotel end was mediocre compared to privately run hotels, but the food and beverage operation was horrible. Totally incompetent management in the kitchen. They ran out of food at nearly every meal, the meals were completely out of cans, with the exception of the soggy fried biscuits. The catering for our conference was completely incompetent. The Executive Chef is in totally over his head. The whole operation should be outsourced to a professional private business.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business