Lowest prices for your stay
Priceline
Free cancellation until 17/12/22
Hotels.com$100
Travelocity$100
Vio.com$100
All reviews great view ohio river bacon breakfast room sitting on the balcony historic district main street staff was very friendly and helpful non smoking mini fridge called the front desk get away clifty falls state park bridge balconies jacuzzi fireplace
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 August 2022

The Hillside is in a good location to the historic district. I found the staff to be friendly enough and the room clean. The balcony had a nice view of the lights of the bridge and Main Street at night, not so much of a view during the day. The bed and pillows were comfortable. The AC didn't cool the room very quickly (I like it cold!) but I always supplement with a fan anyway for the white noise. At some point during the night it reached a temp I was comfortable with. Downside: no soap, I had to use shampoo to wash with. They has a shower cap and even a sewing kit so I assume the lack of soap was just an oversight. Also, the balcony door did not lock. I don't expect the average hotel guest to have the acrobatic skills to get over to the next balcony but being a single woman staying there I would have felt more comfortable with a locked door.
All in all, it was a good stay and if I am in the area again I would have no problem staying there again.

Date of stay: July 2022
Reviewed 30 July 2022

I must say the hotel has wonderful views. The beds weren't bad. The pillows for me were kind of hard, but I'm picky about my pillows so that didn't bother me. The breakfast was kind of a letdown. We got down to the breakfast room a little after 7. There were just a few people there. The only hot food was three sausage links and some watery scrambled eggs. No coffee. We waited for about half an hour and they got the coffee going. After another half hour they brought some bacon. The lady that made our reservations, Birdie, was so sweet. Birdie must work nights. I called to ask about the light outside and she told me what to do. I also asked if there was any way I could go into the meeting room just to take a picture and walk out. She was sweet about that also. Sadly she got off duty before that could happen. As far as receptionists go, Birdie is the best!! She was patient and kind, unlike one of the others when I said I didn't know where to park, they replied between the two white lines, lol. All in all nice hotel. The kids loved sitting outside on the porch overlooking the town.

Date of stay: July 2022
Reviewed 31 May 2022

Enjoyed the view from the room overlooking the town and Ohio River. The building has some years on it but it had historic charm value to it. The breakfast bar was decent and had a good choice of food and there was plenty to eat. Here's the problem we had with the hotel. One of the desk clerks seriously needs to work on her people skills because she doesn't have any. We were travelling with another couple and we asked if there was a chance to have a room close to our friends. Instead of explaining how the room are assigned, we got a whole bunch of attitude of what we shoulda, coulda done to be next to our friends. The next day a tornado siren went off and one our friends when down to the clerks desk to ask what should do. The same clerk we had problems the day before was on the desk. She had no idea what the safety protocols were and told our friend that you're on your own. We probably give the hotel a 4 or 5 rating but because of this one clerk (who should be fired) we're giving a 3 rating.

Room tip: To quote the one clerk we had problems with, "You are on your own"
Date of stay: May 2022
Reviewed 26 April 2022 via mobile

As mentioned by other guests the views of the town and Milton Bridge are very nice from your balcony. The hotel is a 1970s time capsule with small rooms and tiny bathrooms, not much can be done about that. What can be improved is getting rid of the stench in the rooms and hallways, and buying better mattresses. The "breakfast" is something you may want to avoid. Staff not overly friendly.

Room tip: Get a room with a balcony and view.
Date of stay: April 2022
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank travelpr0123
Reviewed 1 November 2021

Great hillside location just outside of historic downtown Madison, Indiana. Overlooks the Madison/Milton Bridge on Ohio River! Clean newer remodeled rooms, great friendly and helpful staff and a good breakfast to boot. Great place for romantics, couples and families too.. Clean, awesome location with everything one must have on a trip in a small historic town,

Room tip: Upper floor rooms are great....
Date of stay: October 2021
Patricia Kidwell, Guest Services / Front Office at Hillside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2021

Thank you for your recent review on your stay with us at our hotel. We are happy that you had an enjoyable experience and hope that you return again on your next visit to Madison.