All reviewsview of the laket bonewhirlpool tubsecond floormom and pop placecanned fruitfree breakfast isrented a pontoonhot breakfastlong weekendadjoining restaurantwafflesevery morninggreat roomroom was clean and comfortablebreakfast roomgreat place to stay
Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

It's obvious that this is a mom and pop hotel. The staff is a little quirky.

The whole vibe of the place could be pulled together a little more eloquently. For instance, the outside looks rustic and the inside is more formal. There is a nonfunctional plexiglass piano sitting in the lobby.

The hotel rooms have been updated and are actually quite nice. Excellent beds and linens. A large jacuzzi bath in the room. Nice bathrooms. Fridge. A smallish TV. Lake view off the deck. The composite decking is kind of ugly, but it's large and functional.

Bottom line, it was a nice stay. And given the cost, it had loads of amenities.

Stayed: July 2016
Reviewed 22 July 2016

This inn is very quaint and comfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit! The staff was exceptionally helpful, courteous, and friendly. The room exceeded our expectations and served all of our needs. The view of the lake was great too, especially at sunset! The adjoining restaurant had atmosphere, good food, and reasonable prices. They even provide chocolate chip cookies to their guests. We can't wait to go back for another visit to the Blue Heron Inn!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the lake for a great sunset experience!
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2016

We were driving from the west coast to the east and as it got late one night passing through Indiana we decided to stop in La Porte. All the chains were sold out but we came across the Blue Heron Inn. Very courteous reception, very reasonable price to a large, clean suite and a great breakfast. Real scrambled eggs (with onions, hash browns and bell pepper), not the mass processed variety. The Blue Heron Inn was a pleasent surprise.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2016

We absolutely loved our 2nd floor king suite with jacuzzi and beautiful views of the lake. There was a small balcony where we could watch the sun set over the small but pristine lake. Just off I-80/90 and if you're anywhere near LaPorte you should visit. We dined at T-Bones which is right at the Inn. We enjoyed everything about this stay: the hotel staff was helpful, the room was immaculate and large, and the little town is lovely. If you choose a room with a view of the lake you will not be disappointed! Very romantic

Room Tip: 209 was very nice
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2016

I loved the idea of being on a floating cabin on a lake! We stayed on the 4th of July so the atmosphere was great and the fireworks show that some homeowner did (we watched from the park next to the cabins) put our city fireworks display to shame! You could also see the fireworks from the fair grounds in the distance! Awesome!!! The Inn and nearby marinas rented pontoon boats, kayaks and maybe fishing boats but no fast boats. I would have given the lake/fireworks a 5 but with the condition of the cabins I had to give it a 3. Now - to the cabin...I'm ok with some bugs at the door, it is a boat after all but the musty smell that hit you when you walked in the door was powerful. We could not febreeze it away. I'm not sure when these were built but they were decorated in the 80s I was hard pressed to find one thing in our cabin (the blue one) that had been updated. Striped wallpaper, sponge paint design wallpaper, TV with A VCR mounted to the wall, brass and wood faucet, a couch that appeared to be falling apart. The bed, which seemed like a double, was the hardest bed I have ever "slept" on and my worst night sleep EVER. I contemplated leaving in the middle of the night it was that bad. There was movement of the boat in the daytime but not significant. One time in the night a boat went by and sent our cabin rocking for a few minutes, didn't affect us. The decking to the cabins and the deck on each cabin was in serious need to power washing or replacement. In the morning, no hot water!!!!! They did offer a cooked breakfast, which included a waffle maker and corned beef hash eggs and sausage, cereal in rubbermaid containers in a hot room. We opted to go to McDonalds instead. They do have a nice, small, outdoor pool. Overall, I'm glad we stayed, living nearby I had always been curious - curious no longer. They would be awesome if they would hire a maintenance person to take care of the decks, strip the wallpaper and paint... Mom and pop place I feel and maybe they should retire and give the place some new blood. We didn't see the rooms in the Inn but pictures I've seen looked much more updated than the cabins. Not much to do in the area outside of the lake although there were lots of food choices nearby.

Room Tip: Avoid floating cabins if you don't like musty or the 80s. Not as much movement as I thought there would be.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple