See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 May 2016 via mobile

Hotel is so rundown no one at front desk speaks no english no offense they just stare at you door on room doesn't close unless you slam it outlet in bathroom is "hanging" out room not really clean no pool no breakfast not even no coffee hotel very "old" and dirty no ice machines what is weird I walked around hotel alot of doors were "locked " i mean padlocked including bathrooms creepy the also the bathtub was leaning not a good place to stay not clean old & the front desk is not friendly website pictures are not what that place looks like very disappointed so i think travel websites need to know about this disaster so people are prepared

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Marlene C
Reviewed 27 April 2016

WOW....where to start. We booked to attend a conference in downtown. Pictures looked nice so why not try it? Total scam. This place is a dump! It is dingy and seems unchanged since 1980s crack cocaine days. Run down looking and glassed in front desk. In its day was probably great place to be, but today.....Hell No!!! Pay by the hour is available. No food in the area, if you feel safe even venturing out. I am a Detroit boy so no big shocker, but those who are suburbanized.....stay away! Missing switch and outlet covers. Sandpaper towels. Sheets not tucked in when the bed was made. Door security device remounted after it seemed as if the door were kicked in before. Slept one night as we got in late then went elsewhere. Stay Away!!!!

Room tip: Book elsewhere!
Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2015

Last Saturday, we arrived on time and had paid through Hotels.com. Their is a wall-high GLASS that separates the customer from the check in clerks (first clue). The clerk was extremely slow and after 15 mins, still could not find our paid reservation on her computer. Meanwhile,a man walked in without a reservation, got a room and key and was done. The clerk showed us to our room, which was not ready...and she tripped and stumbled down a short hall, so something was up with her. She offered us a jacuzzi room "at a higher rate" which we refused. Oh, I refused to sign a paper that was given to me that stated that guests that had a paid reservation could not refuse their room or get money back...who does this?! After she tried to find us another room, my husband and I decided this hotel was not what was advertised and said we would not be staying and wanted our money returned. Clerk said we'd have to call Expedia. I said we booked through Hotels.com...which again, she had no idea what was booked. Other issues: The hotel is in a rundown area, the building is falling down, the parking lot looked unsafe, the inside does not look like the picture, is dark, run down,moldy smelling and the lobby was hot without a/c, which is unusual but mainly a huge deal as you await them to 'find' your reservation. The pool sign said 'closed' so again, false advertising. The clerk could not speak clear English nor could you hear through the glass anyway.
The good news is that Hotels.com refunded my money immediately, and will look into the complaints. Please, do not stay here and certainly do not take your family here.

Room tip: Go with a hotel CHAIN and spend the extra money.
Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Loretta F
rodewayinnindianapol, Webmaster at Shadeland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2015

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I apologize to you for this obvious lapse in service. This issue has been corrected. We take real pride in serving guests well and in offering a great experience, and I regret that we let you down. I hope you will try us again, and remember to book directly with the hotel for the very best rate.

Reviewed 7 August 2015

The pool they advertise has not been open all season. The Continental breakfast was knock off Sunny D, and a powdered coffee machine. That's it! The lobby was not air conditioned, so the units in all 3 of our rooms couldn't keep up, for the end of July. The jacuzzi tub was icky, so we only used it to soak our feet, and it threw so much mildew into the air, that we had trouble sleeping the next two nights and didn't use it again. The staff were nice, but not quite enough to make up for the rest. Also the neighborhood is run down, and since the offer weekly rates a lot of people stay there full time. Speaking of rates, we paid just shy of $60 for the regular rooms on Wednesday and Thursday through the hotels site. The Inn's sign advertised $39 a night Sunday through Thursday. So my advice, do not book this place at all. However if you need a really cheap place for a night, go there and rent a room...it'll be more worth that kind of $

Room tip: Stay on the floor if you must, with the AC in the lobby, you'll stay cooler than upstairs.
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank BBBnRicter
rodewayinnindianapol, Webmaster at Shadeland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2015

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your opinions. I’m terribly sorry that we failed to meet your needs and did not live up to your expectations. We take pride in our hotel and in providing a great place to stay for so many guests, and I deeply regret that we let you down. Perhaps you will give us another try in the future so we can do a better job of satisfying you. We’re always working to get better.

Reviewed 4 August 2015

The building is run down and had broken glass in the parking lot that obviously came from a car window. Upon entering the hotel we were welcomed by the smell of mold there wasn't anyone sitting behind the wall of bullet proof glass at the front desk. Our room was gross, we got the hot tub room and it had pubic hairs around and in the tub, stained bedding and I don't think the floors or walls have ever been cleaned. The smell of mold was concealed by the smell of body odor coming from the construction crew working across from our room. The pool that we were looking forward too was broken and had been broken for awhile (They really shouldn't advertise they have a pool if it's broken). We turn around and left immediately. I'm pretty sure this hotel has hourly rates cause we seen 2 "working girls" in the lobby.

Room tip: Pick a different hotel
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank 25BR25

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments despite not staying with us. I’m terribly sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. We take real pride in this hotel and believe that pride shows in everything we do. I’m disappointed that you did not stay with us, and I hope you will try us again in the future. We’re always working to make the guest experience the best in the area.