“A Hidden Gem in Indianapolis”

Indiana Historical Society
Ranked #29 of 173 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1830, the Indiana Historical Society has been Indiana’s Storyteller™, connecting people to the past by collecting, preserving, interpreting and sharing the state's history. A private, nonprofit membership organization, IHS maintains the nation's premier research library and archives on the history of Indiana and the Old Northwest and presents a unique set of visitor exhibitions called the Indiana Experience. IHS also provides support and assistance to local museums and historical groups, publishes books and periodicals; sponsors teacher workshops; and provides youth, adult and family programming.
Indianapolis, Indiana
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A Hidden Gem in Indianapolis”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

The Indiana Historical Society is a hidden gem in Indianapolis. It may not be on the list for the casual visitor, but if you live in Indy or the surrounding area I recommend you put it on your to do list. They have permanent and traveling exhibits and a nice auditorium. Three of the best things about the IHS is 1) Location 2) Location 3)Location. It is located right on the canal, high above the water. They have a diner on the bottom level with additional outdoor seating. They also always seem to have events going on through the spring and summer. The best part if these are they are free. Finally, they have a nice parking lot that is very cheap. I think it is $1, perhaps two, but really cheap. Back to the location, they are located across from Military park. This makes it convenient if there is an event at one, you can follow it with a stroll on the Canal or a picnic at the park. Put IHS on your calendar.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Dugger, Indiana
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“History is my go”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I love history, how did we get here? It was history!! Our parents, grandparents, great grandparents and on back made history.

Carmel, Indiana
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Building building but....”
Reviewed 11 July 2011

The building is beautiful but not much to offer. The 3 "You are There" exhibits were very informative but be prepared to participate in the experience. If you have a phobia about participating this isn't for you. Unfortunately, we had a person with us that wasn't comfortable with this experience. The Cole Porter room was nice but there was no singer. We were told she was at lunch. We spent an hour looking at the You are There exhibits and she still wasn't back. So, don't go at lunchtime if you want to experience this exhibit. The location on the canal is beautiful. I guess I could have done worse with the $25 we spent to get in and park but we had a lot more fun at the Indiana State Museum.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank lisapleasant
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great experience for locals and visitors!”
Reviewed 26 August 2010

My work group held a meeting in one of the rooms on the canal level of the Indiana Historical Society. What a beautiful building! It was a convenient location for us to meet, and we all took advantage of the opportunity to take our breaks outside along the canal.

After the meeting, we had the opportunity to tour the Indiana Experience. I was very impressed with the good folks I met in the "You Are There" exhibits. We were not rushed through the exhibits, and you can make your visit as long or short as you choose. The staff is very knowledgeable and attentive to guests. I recommend spending time in the gift shop as well!

This is a great experience for anyone who is curious about Indiana History.

LeRoy, Illinois
“Very Cool Place!”
Reviewed 5 August 2010

My wife and I (along with a 15 month old) stumbled upon this place today trying to kill a couple of hours, and I am glad we did. The Indiana Historical Society had some great exhibits (especially the three "You Are there" exhibits and offered a unique perspective on Indiana history. VERY interactive and a lot of fun. I would reccomend this to anyone.