“Going downhill?”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Florence
Waterford, MI
“Going downhill?”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I can remember visiting this casino/hotel a few years ago and being very impressed with the layout of the room, the plushness of it, even the complimentary toiletries were top notch. This go-around, it was starting to show age, low water pressure, the room had a funny smell, and if we had wanted to have dinner buffet it was too bad, since there was a line a quarter mile long all night due to a promotional coupon.

Breakfast buffet is great, though!

I enjoy having the shopping, ice cream shop and coffee-house with restaurants in-house. Almost a necessity considering there is nothing else around for miles.

We've never used the pool since it's outdoors and it's not been open. The casino isn't my favorite in the area, but it's decent with table games and a good selection of slots.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jennifer I
Steve N, Manager at Belterra Casino Resort, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Hello and thank you for choosing Belterra! We are always excited to see return guests, especially if it has been a little while. We greatly appreciate the feedback you have given and have shared it with our Housekeeping and Hotel teams. We take great pride in having the best accommodations and excellent service standards. We also take great measures to keep our rooms fresh for every single visit. We hope that we might be able to learn more about your stay if you would be willing to provide feedback to jroyce@belterracasino.com. Again, thank you for your business and we hope to see you back very soon!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Willard, OH
Reviewed 4 April 2012

This hotel is truly the only game in town. Actually is the ONLY thing in the area. Once you are there, you have the casino which is ok. Small and lots of older machines. The hotel room itself was ok but nothing superb. Not worth $189 a night. When we checked out the nice clerk asked me if I was having trouble with their wifi. I said "yes, I discovered there was a charge so I didn't connect." He said that everytime you try and connect to their wifi your room is charged so he did take it off of my final bill. He explained they did have free wifi available at Starbucks that I could have used. Again, for $189 a night, I think they could certainly offer free wifi. Also in the room we had trouble with our temperature control. It was either a sauna or freezing, nothing in between.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mpolachek
Hello and thank you for choosing Belterra! We greatly appreciate your business and your feedback regarding your stay. We are sorry to see you didn't find the value in your recent room rate and we hope to provide a bit more information as well learn more from you. In general we do offer complimentary WIFI in our business center as well as Starbucks but we do have the daily fee for in room WIFI. The reason we charge separately is simple, we do not charge a resort fee, which normally covers such expenses. When electing whether or not to charge this we heard from our guests that they may not always take advantage of the service so we felt it most equitable to make it an opt in charge. We will, however, review this policy with our hotel team again. Please feel free to send any other feedback to jroyce@belterracasino.com. Again, we greatly appreciate your business and hope to see you back very soon!
Reviewed 30 March 2012

When spend $199.00 per night when the mid-week deal is $59 or even better. The spa is wonderful and casino fun. The hotel is starting to show its age. The bed was lumpy and housekeeping could use a better follow up. If you are looking for the same quality of a $200 per night hotel be mindful this is a CASINO first and everything else is second. The buffet was horrible for 19.25 per person and the only good food is ice cream and correct. So, if you want to go with open eyes and not all blinded by the glitz.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank IndianaFoody
Hello and thank you for visiting with us. We are sorry to read that you did not find the value in your last stay us and we simply wished to learn more about your experience. Naturally, we set our prices based on availability and strive to ensure every guest sees value enough to return again and again. You'll also be excited to hear that we have a number of capital projects planned for the year so you'll get to experience a lot of new areas at Belterra. Again, we would like to learn more about your experience if you wish to share. Please Email jroyce@belterracasino.com with the details of your stay. Thank you again for visiting and we hope you will return very soon!
Indiana
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My family spent Saturday night at this hotel as our hotel room and meal were comped. This was due to the fact that on the one other occasion we stayed there, our brand new vehicle was damaged while valet parked. They did not see fit to share this with us, we discovered it ourselves.
When we arrived and went to check in the clerk did not speak or offer any greeting. I told her my name and she stated " you have mail" brought it to me and that was the extent of our welcome. She asked me how many room keys I would need, handed them to me and I was dismissed. The room was very clean and overall nice. We had dinner and went to bed only to be awakened at 1 a.m by an emergency message stating that there was an emergency in our area. This alarm blared for sometime. As we were on the twelfth floor we became alarmed that the hotel may be on fire. We attempted to call the front desk numerous times with no answer. We decided that we should go downstairs immediately and proceeded to go down twelve flights of stairs. As it was an exterior exiting staircase we ended up outside with numerous other people all as bewildered and confused as we were. We entered the door to the lobby were the front desk employees were carrying on business as usual. Some other guests told us that someone pulled the fire alarm. The next morning I went to check out and was asked " Did you enjoy your stay?" . I replied that no, I had not in face enjoyed my stay. The 1 a.m. trek down twelve flights of stairs, not knowing what was happening,had pretty much sealed that for me. I was not rude or angry just very matter of face. She stared at me and said nothing. I simply walked away wondering why the hotel did not feel that an explanation was necessary. I don't know if she thought I was angling for another free room but let me assure her this was not the case. I have been there twice, once my property was damaged and the second time we were terrified in the middle of the night. There is nothing that could entice us to return to this place!!!! Oh, and no, we did not valet park!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank williamsnla
Hello, let us begin by saying thank you for staying at Belterra and for playing at Belterra. We are very troubled to see this was your experience and we can assure you it is not a standard at Belterra. Our first mission is to create an unforgettable escape for our guests and we take pride in maintaining a beautiful property with luxury service standards. With regard to the safety alarms, our records do show a non-incident alarm on the evening of your stay for which we apologize. We know it is a great inconvenience, however we put the safety of our guests and staff at the highest priority and turn all alarms off once we have been given an all clear by our Security and the authorities. We can assure you however that we have provided your feedback as a training tool for our Team Members so that we can continue to be the best in the region. We would like to invite you back to stay with us so we can prove the level of service we are accustomed to providing our guests. Please Email snewsome@belterracasino.com at your leisure to schedule another visit, on us. Again, we sincerely apologize and hope that you will give us another chance.
lexington
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Stayed Saturday night for quick weekend getaway. Room was comped. Wife used spa and raved about the service and quality of treatment. Ate dinner at the on site steakhouse, food was expensive but very tasty. Do not like buffet as food selection limited, crablegs are tasteless due to being boiled and kept in pan of water instead of steaming them. casino was small but not too crowded. Biggest complaint is location, as there is not a decent sized city within 40 miles. Not enough to do to stay more than a night. Also was awakened at 1 a.m. by a loud announcement proclaiming there was an emergency. Message was repeated incessantly for at least 20 minutes. May go back but will probably wait until downtown Cincy casino opens.

Room Tip: Donot plan on staying more than a weekend unless you like to golf.