“Worst hotel stay ever”

Clarion Inn & Suites Evansville East
Ranked #31 of 36 Hotels in Evansville
Reviewed 1 September 2017

We booked our room through Hotwire.com at the end of June. I called the hotel directly the following day to reserve a crib for our room since we would be traveling with our 1 ½ year old son. The man I spoke to on the phone said that they did not have cribs, but went on to describe what they do have. I don’t remember now what his exact description was, but it sounded like a pack & play, so I asked him “do you mean a pack & play?” and he responded with “yes”. I told him I wanted that added to our room then. We arrived at the hotel for our stay and there was no pack & play in the room. We stopped at the front desk on our way out for dinner to make sure they would bring one to the room. The front desk clerk was no longer at the desk. I rang the bell & a different employee came. She wrote down my request & said she would see what she could do. When we came back after dinner there was still no pack & play in our room. So I went back to the front desk. Still no desk clerk, so I rang the bell again. After waiting over 5 minutes, and ringing the bell a few more times, a different employee (janitorial, I think) showed up and said the desk clerk would be right there. Apparently she had something more important to do in a different part of the hotel. When she finally showed up, I asked about the pack & play and she said they don’t have pack & plays. I told her that wasn’t what I had been told when I called the hotel, and her response was “Well, I don’t know who would have told you that. We don’t have pack & plays”. So, in order for my son to have a place to sleep, I pushed one of the beds against the wall & slept in that bed with him.

The next morning we went to the dining area to have breakfast. There were not enough tables provided to accommodate all of the guests. We found a spot on a couch against the wall with a small, short table in front of us. Not a single high chair or booster seat was in sight. The food selection included under cooked scrambled eggs, mushy hash browns, and moldy oranges. I would have loved to have made a waffle, but there was only 1 waffle iron and a line of 5-10 people waiting to use it at any given time. There was no butter to be found anywhere.

As for the room itself, the housekeeping staff does not do their job well. There was enough dust on the phone that I could run my finger through it and leave a streak. Most hotels make sure that both toilet paper holders have rolls of toilet paper on them, but not this one. One holder had half a roll, the other one was empty. When I checked under the beds before checking out (to make sure we hadn’t kicked anything under them) I found a tennis ball, a band aid wrapper, and either a disposable glove or a wrapper of some sort (it was under the middle of the bed, and I wasn’t about to crawl under there for a closer look).

When we checked out, we told the manager on duty about not having a pack & play in the room. She very rudely said “Well I see you booked through Expedia.” As if booking through a travel site made us less important (we actually booked through Hotwire, so I don't know where she got Expedia from). I told her that I had called the hotel directly the next day & told her the same thing I wrote in the first paragraph of this letter. She then explained (again, very rudely) that they have cribs available, but those were reserved by people who had booked their rooms 6 months ago. I told her that it would have been nice to have been told that when I called. She then went on to tell us (rudely, once again) that our reservation shows we reserved a roll away bed. I told her that no, I had not reserved a roll away bed. I was told they had pack & plays and THAT was what I reserved for our room (although, for whatever it matters, there was no roll away bed in our room either). At that point, my son started to get antsy, so I brought him to the car while my husband went over the rest of our complaints, one of which was that we had seen at least 3 dogs in the hotel despite the no pet policy. Her excuse for that was to say they were service dogs. Sorry, but there is no way those dogs we saw were service dogs. She did not apologize for any of our inconveniences or complaints, asked my husband to keep his voice down so no other guests would hear him complaining, and then basically kicked him out of the hotel without giving him a receipt. And now for the icing on the cake. As my husband was walking out to the car another hotel employee walked outside and yelled after him saying “I hear you have a problem with someone in this hotel. Your problem better not be with (manager on duty, I don’t recall her name) or you’ll have a problem with me.” He then went on to tell my husband how great of a hotel it is and how the housekeeping staff does their job well. And then told my husband that he was going to kick his "butt" (not the word he used, but this won't get past the profanity filter otherwise), and that he had better get a lawyer.

We have traveled a lot and stayed in a lot of hotels. Many of those rooms were booked using travel websites. We have never been made to feel less important because of booking through a travel site instead of directly through the hotel by any employee at any hotel, until we stayed at this one. We have never had any employee of any hotel speak as rudely to us as this manager on duty did. And we most certainly have NEVER had any hotel employee ever physically threaten us. That was completely unacceptable. This was by and large our worst hotel stay ever.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank 2012MrsC
George Y, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Evansville East, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We appreciate your valuable feedback as it helps us identify the areas we can improve the guest experience. I was disappointed to learn of the shortcomings you experienced and we're currently taking steps to make sure this type of thing does not occur again. We hope you will give us another chance to show you how much we have improved.
George Yerolemou

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for a concert. The hotel has recently been remodeled on the inside and is comfortable and modern. The room was clean and the bed is medium firmness. When we arrived, we were treated with complimentary snack for being choice members. Would stay here again

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
George Y, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Evansville East, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Wow! What a wonderful review, we truly appreciate your business and your trust in us. I am very happy to hear that our staff and service met your needs and expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

This is a very nice hotel, seems to be recently updated as everything appears new. Rooms were big and very clean, beds were comfortable. Has all the amenities: microwave, minifridge, flat screen tv, coffee maker. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable. They do have complimentary breakfast but I didn't try it. A/C ran good. I normally would have rated this 4 or 5 stars based on that but the wifi was horrible. Occasionally I would get 3 bars but most times it was just 2 bars. In this day and age, it is rare to see any business with such slow internet service. I had to use my iphone using bluetooth service to get any work done which was not ideal. I was supposed to stay 2 nights but left after first night strictly because I needed better internet service. So because of that reason, I gave this hotel 3 stars...almost gave it 2 because internet was important to me but all other factors were very good.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for your positive comments and I am pleased that you had a good stay overall. However, I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay and don't hesitate to call me to share more information and I will try my best to rectify the situation.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

just remodeled . rooms are very nice. what wonderful breakfast and free. close to downtown. there are places to eat and shop. close to parkway. staff is great. we had a suite with 2 flat screen TV's, refrigerator, microwave. we were on the 2nd floor close to elevator. the king size bed was very cozy

Room Tip: get suite, book early
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2017

PROS: Location is good, just at the back of Ross and next to car dealerships and a corner away from a bigger mall area (Target, Starbucks, etc.). Parking is ample.
Our assigned room is clean when we checked in and was promptly made ready since we came in early. Cleaning staff during that time was meticulous and training a new person very well. Hotel still finishing some rooms on the ground floor. The mini-fridge in our room is new, office chair is shiny, but the phone is old (had the wrong room number).
Breakfast is good for a 3 star hotel, definitely hot waffle maker is an advantage. Fresh apples, oranges and banana are a welcome sight.
Staff is very accommodating, friendly and courteous.

CONS: There are not enough cleaning crew and those in charged of the breakfast area. Takes time to replenish the food. Bed sheets are not replaced during our 4 day stay even with some visible syrup that I dropped on our first day. I had to grab toiletries from the cleaning cart since ours was not replenished.
Watch our for the stairs on the far end of the building...the top step is half the size of the rest of the steps...i see someone tripping or worst falling. Glass door is uneven, always getting stuck on the floor.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family