“Great hotel, not so great area”

Holiday Inn Express Bedford
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bedford
Kentucky
“Great hotel, not so great area”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

When a group of us suddenly decided on a holiday weekend away, we picked French Lick, Indiana, out of thin air. With rates at the French Lick resort running over $500 per night, we opted for this Holiday Inn in Bedford.

Rates were reasonable, the room was comfortable, and we got "goodie bags" at check-in. The breakfast downstairs had a pancake machine (if we had had children with us, it is possible they would have refused to leave that machine) and all sorts of hot and cold items. Rooms had fridges and coffee makers, and excellent showers. The pool area was good, if a little cholorine-y.

The only problem with the hotel was an occasion stampede of elephants...I mean, small children...outside the room. Early on Saturday morning. But we can live with that.

However: if you are planning to stay in Bedford, and want to eat at any ethnic places or even national sit-down chains like Olive Garden....you will be driving to Bloomington. There's nothing in Bedford, save some fast food places and a Golden Corral. Also, shopping is in Bloomington.

The French Lick area is about 30 minutes away, with excellent spas and lovely resorts. The towns are in serious need of love. Maybe the recession hit particularly hard here, but there wasn't much open, aside from the resorts themselves.

Do visit the French Lick Winery. Yum!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chicago
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Great Customer Service, Clean, and Quiet Room. Pet friendly as well. Free hot breakfast and pancakes are the best, Will definitely stay again when visiting family in the area.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank LibLib
Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed 20 March 2011

My husband and I needed a place to stay for just one night. This hotel is absolutely gorgeous. It is right off of 37 but pretty quiet. Make sure to get a room on the top floor if you need to sleep bc the floors and walls seemed a little on the thin side.
However, it was:
gorgeous, new, clean, modern (flat tv..super nice bathroom), white duvets, your choice of a firm or flat pillow, ac units that work and are controllable with a fan option to drown out any noise at night.
Free breakfast was perfect! Your choice of coffee, hot water, cereals, cinnamon rolls, oatmeal, scramble eggs, biscuits and gravy, and all kinds of condiments, teas, and sweeteners and juices.
Pool was beautiful. Staff was incredibly helpful and we got in late, so I was also granted a late checkout (2pm) when I requested it! Awesome!
Fridges in every room.
Also, there were very bright lights in the parking lot, which made me feel extra safe leaving my car there at night.
Again, this is a really nice hotel in a nice area for the price.
I've stayed in 4 star hotels that were not this clean. I mean... I couldn't find anything to complain about .. and I'm super picky. lol.
Also, hit up Mamma's restaurant downtown! I couldn't believe how nice this tiny hole-in-the-wall place was. Unbelievable salad bar.. all you can eat.. 5.99!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I was put in a room with a balcony over the pool. It was VERY noisy with kids screaming and music blaring. All my doors were completely closed. I was trying to get some work done but it was impossible.

Also, the hotel is 100% non-smoking, which was not noted on the reservation web-site.

I am starting to remember why I quit staying at Holiday Inns several years ago.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Amy46815
Madison, Indiana
Reviewed 13 November 2010

I experienced the same situation as another reviewer. Arrived at the hotel, checked in and went to our room to find we had a king room instead of the double we had booked. Went back to the front desk to be told they were full and we had been upgraded since we were priority members. I wanted 2 beds in my room not one king and that is what I had reserved. Very rude at the front desk, after demanding I get a double they reluctantly switched another unknowing future guest so we could have our double. After leaving the hotel, I realized I had left 2 pillows and a phone charger. Upon calling the hotel, I was told they would COD them to me. I called back to see the status of my package and they said their policy had changed and would not be able to COD the items. I said I would see if I could get someone to pick up the items. A few weeks later I had someone go by to pick up items. She checked 3 times. First 2 she was told, items could not be found and the third time she was told they had been destroyed. I personally called and was treated very rudely by the manager while being told items are always kept 60 days and I pointed out NO they aren't because it hasn't even been 60 days. Also I received a call at home asking why my credit card was denying charges by the hotel. After talking through the situation with the Bedford hotel employee, I realized they had the wrong credit card number. I helped them with this situation. They had never actually swiped my card during my stay. This happened only a week or so before I was told my items were destroyed. I definitely wish I had never given them the correct number. Customer service is lacking. Facilities are updated and nice. However, I would pick Super 8 down the road any day after all the poor customer relations we endured. Tried to contact the owner but he never returned my request.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank kccheatham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
3.2 km away
3.4 km away
Super 8 Bedford
Super 8 Bedford
#3 of 5 in Bedford

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bedford? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK