“Not a good value even if it was free! Bedbugs! Ick!”

Travelodge Waukegan Gurnee
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Waukegan
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Let me start by saying that I am usually the person who stays at cheaper motels and can handle a little dirt, uncleanliness, whatever, because I understand that you get what you pay for. However, I've stayed in a lot of cheaper motels and this was literally one of the top two worst I have ever stayed in.

My positives about this motel are literally that it has running water and air conditioning. Those worked great. The room was nice and cold when I turned the air on.

Now for the negatives. I got there, got my room. Could barely understand the people running the motel, hard to have a conversation when they don't speak English well and have heavy accents, but whatever, I rarely need anything so not usually a big deal. Go to the room...it's not exceptionally clean, upon first glance. I'm usually the type where as long as there's a bed, no holes in the sheets / pillowcases, and no creepy crawlies, I'm good. Yeah, about that. Not the cleanest, spots on the walls, lampshades. Tv screen spotted all over. Sheets and towels with stains. Holes in the pillow case. Ok but I'm thinking, no bugs. Again, about that. Right before I fell asleep, I squished a bug. Not positive it was a bed bug, and I'm not super squeamish about bugs, I could have brought in one bug when I came in, in all fairness. So I go to bed, wake up randomly at 4 am... 2 bedbugs on my pillow, 3 in the bed under the covers, and two more climbing the walls. I went to the front desk and told them about the bed bugs, and asked to be moved to another room. Thankfully, the lady at the front desk at 4 am was very American and understood what was going on, and she moved me to another room. I asked for trash bags, as with bedbugs, you should bag up all your stuff and then wash everything in super hot water, and they provided trash bags. So I moved my stuff to the next room.

I checked that bed for bedbugs, as far as I could tell, that room was ok. However, again, there were stained sheets and towels, dirty room, holes in pillowcases.

In addition, for this being a non smoking hotel, it absolutely reeked of smoke. I also could not get the internet / wifi to connect with my laptop for the life of me, so there went working on my business work while I was there. Which was hilarious as their front sign literally says, "free high speed internet," course I suppose they never said it worked. Just that it's free.

Oh and their side door is unlocked all night so anyone could just walk in.

Pros:
Running water
Air conditioning

Cons:
Bed bugs
Dirty room x 2 rooms
Stained towels / bedsheets x 2 rooms
Holes in pillowcase x 2 rooms
Non-smoking hotel that smells like smoke
Wifi won't connect
Side door unlocked all hours

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2017

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2017

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Its possible there were bedbugs as we have bites now. The "Continental" breakfast was one bag of cinnamon bagels, white bread , cereal, and coffee if you got there before 8AM.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukegan
8.1 km away
8.2 km away
Super 8 Gurnee
Super 8 Gurnee
#8 of 11 in Gurnee

Been to Travelodge Waukegan Gurnee? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK