“How did I not know this place existed?? I'm making up for lost time now!”
Review of Bamboocha

Bamboocha
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Punta Uva
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 13
Description: Soda/Restaurant in the midle of the 2 entry for the Punta Uva beach. lunch and Diner available all the week . Special dey plate depending what kind of fish is catching in the morning. Only fresh food cooking at moment. Pizza at night.
Reviewed 15 October 2017

We used to love coming to this spot years ago, it was a modest little soda with amazing Caribbean chicken, rice and beans. It closed down and yet every time I drove by, i would glance in hoping against hope it was still serving deliciousness.
Well, let me tell you, the charm and good vibes of this little spot remain, and the new owners Barbara and Canzio have developed a diverse menu which honors local traditions and products while celebrating their own Italian heritage with a fusion of flavors, methods and presentation.
The night we (finally) went, Vanessa, the previous restauranteur and landlord, was there having drinks with other friends from the neighborhood, it was a delightful evening of reminiscing, shared values, and laughter. I'm reminded of the unique spot on the globe we occupy here and how so many who choose this place to raise a family, run a business or just relax bring such potential to impact both positively and negatively. It is the former that Bamboocha strives for. With their super fresh products locally sourced, they are supporting local fishermen and farmers. They've refurbished an existing location instead of cutting the jungle or creating more waste. In fact, the small little tree I remember from years ago, is now a gorgeous specimen that decorates the dining area in natural shapes and textures.
Oh, and the food. I ordered a basic bolognese pasta as soon as i heard the Italian accent, it's my go to when I'm in the company of those who make it the authentic way. I was not disappointed! A side of garlic bread, perfectly salty and full of fresh garlic, allowed me to slurp up every drop of the perfect sauce. Hubs had the shrimps (more yum) with the much discussed local veg--malanga, yucca, achiote, etc. I love 'em, even fried, they are crispy and salty-sweet.
It's going to be the new "must go" we recommend to all our house guests.
Thanks Barbara, Canzio for a delicious new option. Thanks Vanessa, for assuring the memories keep on growing.

1  Thank Janick2010

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

Congratulations, you made it! Pure Vida! But if you managed to find your way to this amazing restaurant, you're in for a culinary treat! That is only rivaled by the majesty of the surrounding flora and fauna! Costa Rica is awesome enough but when you find Bamboocha Shrimp, Congratulations you found BAMBOOCHA! Thanks for a great meal. Hope to return one day! PURE VIDA!

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

The food was delicious and served fresh. We had the coconut shrimp and a lobster special. Both were a 10+ We plan to go there again before we leave the area. We could eat there every night easily!

1  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

I can't tell you how much we enjoyed this restaurant. It is run by a very friendly Italian couple and is open all day at the weekend and from 5 til 9 in the evening. The menu is very varied and all cooked to order but we never had to wait long for a our meal even when the restaurant was full.We went there on many occasions and enjoyed everything we had. We had pasta,pizza and fresh fish cooked with local root vegetables and all were truly delicious. The puddings are either cake( which was home made and to die for!) Or iced fruits which was like sweet mango frozen slush bathed in rum. It was divine! The prices are very reasonable and way better value than the restaurant further up the road. The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere. I cannot recommend Bamboocha enough. Than you to you both for such wonderful dining. We will miss you!

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

We ate here 3 nights in a row whilst staying at Pachama. Every night the food was exceptional.
The price of the food is really reasonable, much cheaper than eating in Puerto viejo.

A few highlights from me - the yucca chips and guacamole are delicious. They are really salty and the guacamole is limey, and well seasoned. After a sweaty day, a beer and some fried yucca chips hits the spot! There is hot sauce offered too to spice things up, which I loved - I was desperately craving something spicy. Yum.
The carribean flavour is a plate of local vegetables and is also delicious.

For the main course, the spaghetti is excellent - we had the carbonara and it far exceeded expectations. You can't always get the right ingredients but the taste was authentic and the sauce was delicious. The portion was huge too and I devoured it!

The pizza was also very good and the cheese was a sharp cheddar which made a really nice change from some of the more bland pizzas we'd ate.

Finally the homemade cake was extraordinary. You must try it. The mango sorbet with banana rum sounds like a strange combination but it's delicious.

Every night both of our hosts (I'm sorry I didn't ask their names! I wish I had) were lovely. The service was excellent and the chef came to speak with us and everyone else. They really care about their customers and we sat and drank for an hour or so after our meal - we never felt pressure to leave.

This review is much longer than I meant to write but long story short. It's a wonderful place to eat and relax, try it out.

Thank you to our hosts who made our evenings so pleasant.

Charlie and Amy